PDA

View Full Version : Scale

LAH
11-01-2012, 09:59 AM
I need to sort by weight several bullets. Could someone suggest a scale with which I could do this quickly? The only scale I own is an old Ohaus 505.

cptuap
11-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I use one of the cheap digital scales for such things. For precise measuring I still prefer the ol' balance beam. Charlie

LAH
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks Charlie

cdet69
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I have had good luck with the cheap Hornady scale. I had two of the more expesive Lyman ones about 3X more and all they did was keep going bad. Finaly gave up on them.

uscra112
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
If you are needing accuracy down to tenths of a grain, electronic scales have their limitations, to put it politely. I bought a $20 digital off evilBay, and fought it for a couple of years trying to use it to weight-sort .22 rimfire ammo. Had to get into a rhythm where I would put a test weight on the pan, if the scale read correctly, swap the test weight for the cartridge I wanted to weigh. Get the weight, swap the test weight back on. If the test weight was still OK, the cartridge weight was valid. Every 4th or 5th cartridge the scale would have drifted .1 to .3 grains in that short time, so I had to re-zero and reweigh. Went and spent a whole lot more for a new Pact BBK2, and it's better, but it takes 3-5 seconds to decide that it's happy with what it's displaying, and every 10 cycles or so I have to rezero it. But I still use 'em, because a balance is even slower and more inconvenient.

leadman
11-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I have been using a Pact for years for this. The only problem I have had is with the wires for the 9v battery connector.

farmallcrew
11-02-2012, 06:19 AM
When i gave my dad the reloading stuff i got him a PactBBK2 he liked it. When i got the stuf back and started reloading, i wanted to throw the thing out into the street. It woukd take forever to meause a 0.1 of a grain. Then when it would you be over by half a grain. So I rely on ole' faithful Ohaus bar scale. The Pact is nice when your doing solid objects such as bullets, but not that great with precision.

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2012, 06:41 AM
another vote for the pact. Ive owned one for many years. Only problem i ever had with it is the first one burned in my barn fire. Other then not being fireproof there pretty reliable.

Sasquatch-1
11-02-2012, 07:22 AM
I bought the little cheapy electronic scale that Harbor Freight sells. It is only accurate to within 2 Grns, not point 2 or point 02, and then loses it's tare often. I would say get one of the easily adjusted ballance beam scales that has the sliding tenth grn counter. I picked up a used one just for this reason.

Dan Cash
11-02-2012, 07:36 AM
myweigh.com. You won't throw your beam scale away but it will sure gather lots of dust.

Lizard333
11-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I have the Lyman XP1000. I have been using it for a few years. It's quick enough that your not messing with a balance beam. Just make sure there isn't Alan running or a draft. It will mess with your readings.

You can get them for about 120$.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD