PDA

View Full Version : products that are probably good but you still dislike

Lloyd Smale
11-01-2012, 07:32 AM
1. any rifle chambered in 270
2. barness tsx bullets
3. ziess conquest scopes

What do all of these have in common. There the favorite choises of internet experts everywhere. Man buys a 270 and instantly thinks hes a knowlegable rifleman. Load some tsx bullets and you are almost on the pedistle. Stick a conquest on it and you can about be the moderator of any rifle forum on the internet!! I can bet my life on one thing. Make a post about any of those three and the experts will come out of the wookwork.

btroj
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Interesting point Lloyd. Back in 2008 I went to Africa and used a Ruger 77 in 270 win, I shot 130 TSX bullets wi RE22 powder and left the Zeiss scope being with the PH.

As for being a moderator on a forum, I don't view that as a sign of knowledge or skill. It may mean the person is liked by the head of the forum or has the time or people skills to keep things under control. None of that says they are necessarily an expert on the subject.

I hate Internet experts. I take advice from people I know or who have demonstrated a firm knowledge and skill level that makes me believe they know what they are talking about.

What I find most interesting is that some of the people who get the best results use minimal equipment and tend to keep things pretty simple.

largom
11-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Well I have a 270 bolt action. One I built myself on a Mauser VZ24 action. It shoots extremely well but I have'nt used it for 12 years. I also have a Zeiss Conquest scope, right now it's not mounted on anything. Most of my hunting guns have Burris or Leupold scopes.I got the Zeiss below wholesale and it's a good scope but not worth the price IMO. I don't have any TSX bullets because I have'nt figured out how to cast them. All of my hunting for the past several years has been with cast boolits.

Larry

Tazman1602
11-01-2012, 08:03 AM
I hate 270's, most likely because Elmer hated them.

I loathe Barnes new TTSX bullets, mainly because all my load data and COAL dimensions are based on the original X bullets. They don't make a 95 grain 243 anymore but claim the new 85 grain will give the same performance. Ask them a tech question and get back a one liner...... here is the tech sheet for that bullet, thanks for using barnes...

ZIESS Scopes. Ok, but for the price i can buy five Luepolds and still outshoot you.

Lets see who jumps Lloyd....

Art

2. barness tsx bullets
3. ziess conquest scopes

What do all of these have in common. There the favorite choises of internet experts everywhere. Man buys a 270 and instantly thinks hes a knowlegable rifleman. Load some tsx bullets and you are almost on the pedistle. Stick a conquest on it and you can about be the moderator of any rifle forum on the internet!! I can bet my life on one thing. Make a post about any of those three and the experts will come out of the wookwork.

Dennis Eugene
11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Well, I happen to like the .270. Dennis

garym1a2
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
I just don't understand the use of a .270 Win. Why would anyone want to take a great round like the 30-06 and neck it down to use tiny ity bity bullets?

theperfessor
11-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Probably for the same reason the .308 got necked down to hold itty bitty bullets in 7mm, 6mm (.243), ....

kenyerian
11-01-2012, 09:09 AM
2. barness tsx bullets
3. ziess conquest scopes

I've never loaded any tsx bullets and I've never owned a ziess scope but I've always had a 270 around since the 70's. I'm definitly not an expert. Just a guy who enjoys hunting. Don't have one in the Encore yet . Its a great starter rifle. My 12 year old Grandson just love's shooting it.

Guesser
11-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't really have any shooting related dislikes come to mind but anytime this kind if thing comes up there is always one big one that jumps right out front and forces me to shout. It has been this way since I was in high school in the late 1950's and I have never gotten over it. Tried several times over the years, spent good money after bad and it always gave me the same feeling of "why in the hell did I do this again?"
The THING is anyTHING built and marketed by General Motors.

Wally
11-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Shouldn't the Win .264 Magnum be added to the list?

41 mag fan
11-01-2012, 10:26 AM
I always thought the 30-06 was the internet gurus gun. Guess I'm wrong and not a guru :groner:

SharpsShooter
11-01-2012, 10:32 AM
What's a tsx bullet? Does it shoot black powder?

SS

waksupi
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Inline "muzzle loaders".

runfiverun
11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
well so far you guy's have gotten the 270 and inline muzzle loaders that are on my list.
you can't use an inline here anyway except during rifle season.

never could figure out the 270 it shoots 10 gr lighter bullets and at 15-k higher pressure to beat the old 7x57 by 100 fps.
i alway's thought it more sensible to just up the x57's pressure window.
or just go with the 280.

and third on my list is long range hunting.
you have to walk over there anyway to retrieve the animal, just walk half the distance and then shoot.
that way you don't have to haul the weather machine, computer and three spotters with you.
and you can start tracking that much sooner when something does go wrong.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
777 pellets or any pelletized powder for muzzle loader . in all the powder charges i have tried 50 and 100 are almost never used or most accurate for any gun i have tried

ans it smells strongly of the dumbing down of society , don't think for yourself just buy our pre packaged easy to use product , pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Stork
11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
While I have to admit to not owning a 270 for over 30 years, I have a soft spot for it. It was my first real Deer/Fox/Coyote/Prarie Dog rifle. When it's the only rifle you have,,,it can do anything, right.

When I purchased it (Rem 700 ADL with a 3-9 Weaver Wide Angle scope for $147.00), I did extensive research (IE: I could afford it being #1). #2 was an article I remembered from Outdoor life about a family of guides (Benoit Brothers if I remember) in NE Canada that guided several hundred clients/yr. They claimed the two best "one shot killers" in their experience was the 270 with 130 gr bullets and the 35 Rem with 200 gr.

Can someone tell me why I can remember silly stuff like this from something I read 45 years ago, but forget to pick up my bride from work???? And I'm still on the low side of 60.

Oh well, it's bullet placement combined with bullet construction that gets the job done. Most calibers out there will do the job as long as you don't ask them to do something they weren't designed for.

linotype
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Inline "muzzle loaders".

Absolutely agree with that.
The whole inline idea seems as wrong to me as falling up. :roll:

Doc_Stihl
11-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Dillon Progressive Presses.
Weatherby Cartridges.

farmallcrew
11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Peite Steak-need a cowboy cut
Jumbo Shrimp
Submachine gun-i want the hole thing
Electronic cigerette-nothing better than a non-filtered Camel on the first day deer season
Lite Beer-if you want to get hammered then go all out

starmac
11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I have to agree with Waksupi and Greencountrypete. I don't hate them, but they are just wrong in my mind.

I have never fired a 270, but know at least 2 guys that has had them as their only rifle for at least 40 years,and knocked mule deer down pretty much every year. One of them is still using the powder and bullets he bought in the 60's, he loads a box every year before season.

357maximum
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I love the 270Win and I hope those fellers that own and shoot them keep feeding them and not reloading their brass as it makes a great 35Whelen case that actually fills my chamber.:bigsmyl2:

My list would include the inline plastic Bic disposable muzzleloader and fake blackpowder.

jp99
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I just don't understand the use of a .270 Win. Why would anyone want to take a great round like the 30-06 and neck it down to use tiny ity bity bullets?

Simply because of better ballistic coefficient and sectional density of smaller bullets, with lighter bullets.

A fine read here, http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/30cal_fullVersion.pdf

Regards,

JP99

missionary5155
11-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Greetings
I would add the Browning Lever Action... The one that has the gear teeth on the lever. That whole look and the way it works makes my twitch.
Never had a caliber .270. Grew up with the 06 and 30-40.
Never had an inline. Grew up around flint and steel sparks with some .58 muskets near by.
Never will have a Ruger semi-auto either. The caliber .22's are great but those others just do not abide. Sorry Ruger semi-auto fans.
Mike in ILL

firefly1957
11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Inline muzzle loaders, green cleaners, any GREEN product, Milk, any medicine advertised on radio/TV, any fool that believe in man made Global warming,..................

btroj
11-01-2012, 05:58 PM
How about the Taurus Judge and the Rossi RanchHand? I can't stand an ugly gun and these both meet that criteria. I also see them as solutions looking for a problem.

MBTcustom
11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm with btroj, and I would also add the Chiappa Rino.
Also, I don't care for T/C Contender.
Hi-point guns
Any scope, gun, or accessory that came from Wal-mart.

MT Gianni
11-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, I love my BLR's and find them faster to shoot and generally as accurate as a bolt. I bought a Leopold V11 for under $100 @ Walmart in their close out aisle. I also get their ice gigs for a dime apiece when they go on closeout. If they want to spill money I wil llet them.
I don't care for smokeless powder in a "muzzleloader", sabotted projectiles and head to toe camo during rifle season.

DSL1138
11-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I happen to like the 270. My first gun, in fact, was a Savage 270 which I still have to this day. As for the products that are probably good but I dislike, Toyota and Nissan vehicles are on my list. While I have heard Toyota and Nissan make good cars, I still don't like buying a vehicle that some foreigner is getting rich off of. I'd rather buy something that was designed and built by American hands, rather than some piece of plastic put together by either robots or little children.

Porterhouse
11-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Ok, here is my list;
30-06
Probably very good but everyone likes it so I don't.
1911 Semiauto
Same reason.
45LC
Same.

My only lifle is M70 Pre '64 with 270. I'm not that found of it and this may not be the best rifle/caliber for everything but if there is a guy who can hit at any reasonable size target at any reasonable distance EVERY TIME he shoot it with this combination, he is my hero.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Glocks, AR-15s and single action revolvers.

Glocks and ARs because they are too trendy, and I don't do trendy. Single actions are fine 99.99% of the time, but if I'm spending the money, why not go for a double action? (as long as I don't plan to shoot cb action).

Nobade
11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
That newfangled smokey-less gunpowder. I have heard you can blow your gun up with that stuff.

Beau Cassidy
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Dang, Lloyd. Who slipped a burr under your saddle?

Even though I wholeheartedly agree with your dislikes, I would not snub any of them. It's like Patrick McManus once wrote in his Outdoor Life column- "Never sniff a gift fish".

geargnasher
11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I happen to like the 270. My first gun, in fact, was a Savage 270 which I still have to this day. As for the products that are probably good but I dislike, Toyota and Nissan vehicles are on my list. While I have heard Toyota and Nissan make good cars, I still don't like buying a vehicle that some foreigner is getting rich off of. I'd rather buy something that was designed and built by American hands, rather than some piece of plastic put together by either robots or little children.

You certainly entertain some wild notions about Toyota and Nissan's manufacturing, probably as wild as what you think about "domestic" makes. If you want it built here, not out of plastic, and by human hands, get yourself a pre-1960 from any of the "big three" and restore it yourself.

I happen to like the .270 also, and have two of them, but I feel the principle advantage comes from the fact that it is only chambered in commercial factory guns and the chambers and throats tend to be more consistent than some of the other cartridges of military origin that have had some "growing pains" when SAAMI developed commercial standards. Anyone with a 7x57 knows what I mean.

Any time I think about in-line muzzle loaders, I instantly think "how stupid!" I understand the intent use in BP seasons, but STILL.

I also agree 100 percent with Doc Stihl. It didn't take much experience with either to form my opinions.

I'll add one of my personal favorites on topic, probably useful but I can't stand them: Mounting compact, high-lumen flashlights under a pistol barrel. What happened to a D-cell Code Four in one hand and a Colt .45 in the other?

Gear

fouronesix
11-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Top of my list is neither a good idea IMO, nor anything I could imagine using!
The orange plastic "Butt Out" for field dressing game.

btroj
11-01-2012, 09:53 PM
I forgot to mention any thing "Tactical"

As for vehicles, my Toyota was made in Texas, does it get any more American than that? People need to stop confusing American made cars with what they really mean. If you want UAW built then say so but don't tell me non UAW means non-American made.

10-x
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Had a Winchester Mdl 70 in .270 back in the early 70's, shot lots of critters with it. Sold it when I learned .30 is king, look how many loads there are for .30.06.. I don't care for .500 S&W, shot one 5 times , enough. In line muzzleloaders, ***? thought it was supose to be "primitive hunting"?Don't care for most "furrin stuff" period.

geargnasher
11-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Dang, Lloyd. Who slipped a burr under your saddle?

Even though I wholeheartedly agree with your dislikes, I would not snub any of them. It's like Patrick McManus once wrote in his Outdoor Life column- "Never sniff a gift fish".

True, but remember Real ponies don't go "Oink", either.

Gear

Aces an Eights
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Norincos, the UN, electric cars and pop music

leadman
11-01-2012, 10:21 PM
The only in-line muzzleloader I like is the one I bought in the early 70's, an H&R 58cal Huntsman. I'm a lefty and this was about the only good option back then. Still uses real BP and has a slow twist for a roundball.

Don't care for the plastic autoloading pistols. Must be good but I like steel. Even my CCW pistol is stainless, an OMC 380.

I own and shoot double action revolvers but like my single actions more.

Being a lefty in the Army in the early 70s left me with a bad taste for an AR style rifle, literally!. My M-16 had no forward assist or deflector bump so everything ended up in my face or neck.

mtnman31
11-01-2012, 10:28 PM
- People using quads and other off-road vehicles for hunting, especially when I'm stalking up on my quarry and suddenly one goes buzzing through the trees spooking my target.

- Over-priced 1911's - I love the 1911, but hate the fact that when I visit my local gun shops, every 1911 on the shelf is over two grand... Same goes for all the over priced ARs out there. Is the performance of a 4500 dollar AR any better than that of a well built 1000 dollar National Match AR? I've shot all price and quality levels of ARs (even built a few) and most of what you pay for is the name and fluff. To throw out a few name brands for reference - the Knights Armament AR (all the bells and whistles) shot no better than the Rock River (factory national match) despite the 2500 dollar price difference. That being said, if I had a few grand of extra cash to burn, I wouldn't hesitate to get an LMT AR in .308.

- Long range hunting - as previously mentioned in the thread, for the same reasons and also because of the increase of wounded animals and inhumane kills.

- Hunting shows on TV - I just can't stand them at all and have yet to find one that I can stomach. They are nothing more than paid advertisements that make hunters believe that the only way they can get their deer is using the newest short magnum caliber, wearing scent-lock camo, and getting there on the aforementioned and loathed quad. Not to mention that my impression is that most of those shows are filmed on private hunting plots that cost big bucks and are brimming with animals that are accustomed to feed plots and desensitized to human presence. The shows just don't portray what I feel the average hunter has access to and does each season.

There, who doesn't love a good rant...

smoked turkey
11-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I can't go with the diet cola thing. I like a good Classic Coke. Bring on the taste and the calories. And on the subject what is cola? Were I came from it was pop.

FergusonTO35
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Tactical anything has gotten way out of control. It's now a case of life imitating art. All the coppers here now wear tacticool uniforms, even the turnkeys at the jail. As far as shooting products go, those ridiculous bonded core bullets are at the top of my list. For the same price you can buy Nosler Partitions or any of the various solid copper slugs. If you're going to buy j-words get something guaranteed to work!!

waksupi
11-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Jacketed bullets. Why shoot them, when you can make a premium boolit?

geargnasher
11-02-2012, 04:05 AM
"Long range hunting". A classic oxymoron.

Gear

facetious
11-02-2012, 05:20 AM
If there is one thing I have learned from people like that is that my dogs not worth feeding, my car is a wast of gas, my truck isn't fit to hall a bag of wet dog poop, and all my guns are a step below a zipgun made from a rusty pipe[smilie=b:. I don't know why I even get up any more:groner:.

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2012, 06:26 AM
theres another one ill add to my list!!!!
anything marketed for the Zombie apocalypse....or "tacticool"

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2012, 06:28 AM
about the same metality but my dislike comes from the fact that i detest Jack O connor. Hes the original yuppy with a gun!
I hate 270's, most likely because Elmer hated them.

I loathe Barnes new TTSX bullets, mainly because all my load data and COAL dimensions are based on the original X bullets. They don't make a 95 grain 243 anymore but claim the new 85 grain will give the same performance. Ask them a tech question and get back a one liner...... here is the tech sheet for that bullet, thanks for using barnes...

ZIESS Scopes. Ok, but for the price i can buy five Luepolds and still outshoot you.

Lets see who jumps Lloyd....

Art

Lloyd Smale
11-02-2012, 06:35 AM
GOD NO!! the 264 is one of the good ones. I chuckle when its bad mouthed. It has a rep for burning barrels and being way overbore. Couldnt be further from the truth on both accounts. Guys will buy 7mags like there going out of style. truth be told there probably isnt two rounds any closer in power, barrel life and effiecentcy. Might have been overbore back when all you could get was 4350 but even back then 4831 was around and it does just fine in the 264. Wincherster kind of hurt its rep when they came out with the 22 inch featherweigths but the 264 works just as well out of a 24 inch barrel as its twin the 7 rem mag does. If i had to go down to only one long range deer gun it would probably be a toss up between my 264 and my 257 but the 264 would probably stay because a guy can load 160s in it and use it for about any game animal in north america.
Shouldn't the Win .264 Magnum be added to the list?

Roosters
11-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Ruger 10/22 s with $5,000 in modifications , AR and tactical anything. This includes any gadgets or gizmos other than sights, scope or sling.
And I like my 270.
Shooters are a pretty diverse bunch. One mans junk is another mans treasure .
:popcorn:

Doc_Stihl
11-02-2012, 08:18 AM
I'll add a few types of people to the list.
The guy who "knows".

Q - "Any particular reason you chose *yBrand* (bullets or powder or etc) for blasting paper all day"
A - "They're the best there is"
Q - "Have you tried any of the *xBrand*?"
A - "Nope these are all I ever tried cause they're the best"

I'll also add a black rifle owner that knows the brand of every part of his gun, the cost, the reason why theirs is better, but can't tell you where it's zeroed, what a mil dot is, (though they have a mil-dot scope on it) and shoots 10" groups at 100 yards.

And I'll also add my vote to the .410 revolver craze and Hi Point pistols.

Harter66
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
How about Ranchero's and El Cameno's. Mines a 59' I drove to school but they were pickups on car chassis. Can't help it love em' but they're useless beyond a tiny window.

5 yr ago I ran across that guy w/ the pre-64' mod 70 ,270 shooting ttsx's and "$1200 worth of glass on top" that bragged that he'd put a doe down w/just 3 shots and a finisher from his Kimber 45. I smiled and said something to the effect of, huh only took 1 shot from my ol' *** 110 lefty 06' w/$79 Tasco, I better upgrade.

Those flip locking knives. There's just no sole, no feel to them. And if you really that locking blade odds are you ought to be using the right tool,a fixed blade(maybe a bayonet) or you aren't using it right.

geargnasher
11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Those flip locking knives. There's just no sole, no feel to them. And if you really that locking blade odds are you ought to be using the right tool,a fixed blade(maybe a bayonet) or you aren't using it right.

AMEN. Real men use stone blades anyway. :D

Gear

RobsTV
11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Glock.

Everything that calls itself a 1911.

shooter93
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Glocks, most 30 caliber rounds, (love the 06) Inline muzzleloaders, 12 pound AR's, Red Dot sights and I could probably go on.

bob208
11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
the way things are named. it is no longer a colt auto in .45. now it is a 1911 edm utra carry w.t.o.w.o.

PS Paul
11-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Internet experts? Love 'em (ha-ha)!! Just as much as the "mall ninja" and "lamo-camo tactical guy" at the range who shows up with gloves/tactical pants/body armor (I've seen it!)/warrior glasses and cannot hit the broad side of the berm! All good products, but I don't much care for 'em.

Don't care much for Chevy's either. Kinda like Fod a little better. LOL!!!

rockrat
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
204 ruger, the short, super short and ultra mags. Fords (Yes, I have owned ONE), the newer diesel trucks, diesel trucks that have been "chipped" so the owner can put out a smoke screen behind him (If you like the smoke so much, put your exhaust pipes in front of your truck and aim the stacks into the cab of your truck!)

Oh, the one that comes over to me at the range and tells me lead bullets are inaccurate and will do nothing but lead my barrel

btroj
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Glocks, most 30 caliber rounds, (love the 06) Inline muzzleloaders, 12 pound AR's, Red Dot sights and I could probably go on.

Hey, I have a 12 pound AR. Dang good rifle for NRA service rifle competition. Got a distinguished badge with that rifle.

Internet experts should top every list. Keyboard experts are no different from mall ninjas.

DRNurse1
11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
???This is not helping me to pick a center fire rifle caliber.

Clean out the rodents up here with my .22LR bolt action Winchester circa 1960 and hunt with .44cal revolver because the out-of-state folks are just plain dangerous during rifle season.

Love the Walmartians, and sometimes I are one. Hey mine is selling reloading stuff!

Carry .45ACP slab side because I can hit anything within 50 yards with my loads from my Dillon progressive and, as someone said here, why shoot twice. Also, still working on Distinguished Pistol.

Drive one of those UAW assembled foreign buggies because I am still fixin' my '56 Dodge. And ride one of those rice-burners (but NOT the crotch-rocket style) because those 'Merican bikes are darned expensive.

So, is btroj right about that 12# AR? Is it 5.56 or 7.62? I do not fancy carrying it on a hunt but If that is what I need for Distinguished Rifle....

10x
11-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Any one who uses a gun for hunting that has "the shoulder thing that goes up."
and "Heat seeking bullets".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=BRQqieimwLQ&feature=endscreen

jameslovesjammie
11-02-2012, 11:38 PM
People who detest one cartridge but love one that is for all intents and purposes ballistically identical.

10x
11-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Had a Winchester Mdl 70 in .270 back in the early 70's, shot lots of critters with it. Sold it when I learned .30 is king, look how many loads there are for .30.06.. I don't care for .500 S&W, shot one 5 times , enough. In line muzzleloaders, ***? thought it was supose to be "primitive hunting"?Don't care for most "furrin stuff" period.

This smokeless powder thing is a passing fad...

MT Gianni
11-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Jacketed bullets. Why shoot them, when you can make a premium boolit?

Well because there is load data in a book, not some scary stuff like using a custom mold with loads that experts havent tried and deemed safe.

starmac
11-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Some of my books have cast boolit load data, not real sure experts wrote them though.

Awsar
11-03-2012, 01:23 AM
hmm things i dislike?
any poorly made firearm -list is to long
sad state of our government
people who sue because they spill Hot coffe on themselfs

as far as bullets and calibers i love them all because it keeps people spending money on another gun that will problably do the same thing as the 1 they have :)

Cap'n Morgan
11-03-2012, 02:40 AM
I never could figure out the 270 it shoots 10 gr lighter bullets and at 15-k higher pressure to beat the old 7x57 by 100 fps.
i alway's thought it more sensible to just up the x57's pressure window.
or just go with the 280.

I got a SAKO 75 "All Weather" stainless, synthetic stock and what not, because I wanted a trouble free rifle which could stand some abuse. My first choice in caliber was 280 or 7x64, but the "All Weather" SAKO could not be had in those two calibers. They did make a 7mm RemMag, but I find that overkill for most European game. In the end I ended up with the 270, and have been loving it ever since.

geargnasher
11-03-2012, 09:32 AM
"Controlled pairs" with an AR-15.

IMR Trail Boss.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Harley Davidson V-twin with straight pipes and the Mexi-low riders blaring Rap music and dragging their frame...Yeah, I live next to a car wash :(

and the WSM calibers...apparently they weren't short enough, so they came out with the WSSM.

Doc Highwall
11-03-2012, 10:16 AM
How about cartridge cases with short necks like 300 Savage vs. 308 Winchester. I like longer necks for bullet alignment and not taking up powder capacity with long bullets.

My thoughts on my two least favorite calibers is .270, I like .284/7mm and .264/6.5mm better, 257 I like .243/6mm and again .264/6.5mm as to lack of selection of bullets.

I do load for a .270 Winchester and a 257 Roberts.

btroj
11-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Worse than Internet experts- Internet experts who produce lots of YouTube videos!

How many of those much have we debunked here?

And Gear- a "controlled pair" from an AR sure sounds like a tacticool term to me.......

45-70.gov
11-03-2012, 11:01 AM
products that are probably good but you still dislike

1. simi auto handbuns.....especially for self defence
2. see thru scope rings.....how does the stock fit thing working for ya???
3. simi auto rifle....they make me miss faster
4. PORTED BARRELS.....almost forgot that one
5. game oriented gun.....with options that are detrimental in the real world [ports]

WAIT!!!!!!
''products that are good.......''
simi-autos are needlessly danderous
ports are noisy...you have you safety glasses and ear plus on for real self defence
games ,to me,
are to practice for the real world with the gun you have when its needed

TCFAN
11-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Politicians that think they know what you want or need more than you yourself do.They think that they have the right to protect us from ourselves...........Terry

10x
11-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Politicians that think they know what you want or need more than you yourself do.They think that they have the right to protect us from ourselves...........Terry

Government bureaucrats that think they know what you want or need more than you yourself do.They think that they have the right to protect us from ourselves...........

DRNurse1
11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Some of my books have cast boolit load data, not real sure experts wrote them though.

I suppose anyone who survives after "hey guys watch this..." could qualify as an expert.

Still looking for the caliber to use for North American game.

geargnasher
11-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Worse than Internet experts- Internet experts who produce lots of YouTube videos!

How many of those much have we debunked here?

And Gear- a "controlled pair" from an AR sure sounds like a tacticool term to me.......

Military actually. Probably a good idea when you're trying to conserve ammo but still make sure the BG is hit hard when you're trying to engage in a gunfight against guys who have real, .30 caliber auto rifles. I'd practice it too if I was trying to win a battle using a .22 carbine.

But, shooting twice with a peashooter vs. once with a real gun is annoying and stupid to me, especially when I can't shoot my pistol from the 25-yard bench because some bozo insists on going through five clips, two shots at a time, from the ten yard line.

Gear

Recluse
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Hear hear!!!

And I'll add. . . those who are brand new to something and who then take the internet experts who produce lots of YouTube videos as the absolute gospel.

:coffee:

btroj
11-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Worse yet Recluse, those people then make their own videos!

All a YouTube video tells me is that you know how to produce a lousy video. Woo hoo.

Elkins45
11-03-2012, 01:26 PM
I shot a doe weekend before last with a 300 grain pure lead bullet that I cast myself from a Lee mold that I also hollow pointed. I was pretty proud of the results until I read this thread and realized how much I had dishonored myself by shooting it out of an inline muzzle loader. Wanna hear something even worse? It was a muzzle loader that used smokeless powder. Oh, the horror ;)

I'm also a big fan of the .270. Guess I just have poor taste all around. :D

My dislikes:

YouTube experts. For the most part YouTube is the internet for people who can't read.

Tacticool

Zombie stuff. Hornady can keep their green tipped bullets.

Sycophantic brand loyalty, whether it be trucks or guns. No company has ever had a 100% defect free manufacturing record.

Designer bullets. Are those bullets they charge $1.00 each for really all that much better than the normal production stuff?

Super Short Magnums--if you don't have the energy to pull the bolt back an extra 1/2" should you really be out hunting?

This is probably heresy, but I don't like the 30-30. In my experience it's a low powered round chambered largely in guns of marginal accuracy topped with cheap, broken scopes. Most of the 30-30 shooters I know (and I know plenty) shoot a lot more deer than they harvest. They should market special 30-30 ammo with bullets dipped in surgical anesthetic, so all the gutshot deer can at least sleep through the hours of pre-death agony. Yes, I know, it's not the fault of the cartridge itself, but it's an opinion so it doesn't have to be logical.

garym1a2
11-03-2012, 02:16 PM
They get paid for the videos too.
My stupid dog and cat video got me $230 so far.

About a dollar per 2K clicks.

Hear hear!!!

And I'll add. . . those who are brand new to something and who then take the internet experts who produce lots of YouTube videos as the absolute gospel.

:coffee:

alrighty
11-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I shot a doe weekend before last with a 300 grain pure lead bullet that I cast myself from a Lee mold that I also hollow pointed. I was pretty proud of the results until I read this thread and realized how much I had dishonored myself by shooting it out of an inline muzzle loader. Wanna hear something even worse? It was a muzzle loader that used smokeless powder. Oh, the horror ;)

I'm also a big fan of the .270. Guess I just have poor taste all around. :D

My dislikes:

YouTube experts. For the most part YouTube is the internet for people who can't read.

Tacticool

Zombie stuff. Hornady can keep their green tipped bullets.

Sycophantic brand loyalty, whether it be trucks or guns. No company has ever had a 100% defect free manufacturing record.

Designer bullets. Are those bullets they charge $1.00 each for really all that much better than the normal production stuff?

Super Short Magnums--if you don't have the energy to pull the bolt back an extra 1/2" should you really be out hunting?

This is probably heresy, but I don't like the 30-30. In my experience it's a low powered round chambered largely in guns of marginal accuracy topped with cheap, broken scopes. Most of the 30-30 shooters I know (and I know plenty) shoot a lot more deer than they harvest. They should market special 30-30 ammo with bullets dipped in surgical anesthetic, so all the gutshot deer can at least sleep through the hours of pre-death agony. Yes, I know, it's not the fault of the cartridge itself, but it's an opinion so it doesn't have to be logical.
Bravo!:drinks:
And seeing how this thread for the most part is totally useless except to stir up a very large pot and to belittle people you don't even know.Please allow me to add a few more.:-D

1.3/4 ton or larger trucks that never haul anything yet the owner insists on extending the mirrors all the way out or worst yet buys longer extensions for the said truck.I am sure this has to be a direct result of a lower anatomy deficiency.:Fire:
2.Anyone who proclaims that all who likes a certain caliber,bullet, or scope must be a self proclaimed internet expert.I am sorry but there isn't enough duct tape to fix that much stupid.:kidding:
3.Anyone who tries to belittle someone behind a computer keyboard because they did not buy brand X.Thank goodness for the most part we have a large selection of items from an array of different manufacturers.No doubt some are much better that others but who died and left you in charge to decide for the masses?:oops:
I think I have reached my monthly limit of pot stirring, can we do this again at the first of every month?:awesome:

runfiverun
11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
maaan i feel kinda bad about the 270 thing now.
i just realized today [as i was in the middle of renovating the reloading room] i have had one for about 2-3 years now [according to the wife??] it was tucked back in the gun closet so far i didn't know it was there.
that would splain why i had all those different 270 bullets i gave away. [siiigh]
guess i'll have to load some 140's up to 2850 and see if it does better than my mauser with 139's at 2850.

ShooterAZ
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Things that might be good? That I don't like anyway???

1) Things that are made in China

2) Ruger Semi-Autos

3) Most Lee products

4) AK47/SKS rifles

5) Tacticool & Zombie items

PS Paul
11-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Hey, Alrighty. I just laughed out pretty loudly when I read yer post! Oh, man, you have at least three different "belly-laughin' classic lines" in your post. Thanks for that. I am at work today and I REALLY needed a good laugh after all this drudgery I'm suffering right now.
Paul

FergusonTO35
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Elkins, As a diehard .30 WCF fan, I actually share your sentiment about many who carry it. In fact I know one fellow very well who fits this description exactly. I will say that you are starting to see more people go afield with budget bolt rifles (Savage Axis, Remington 770, etc.) that cost even less than .30-30's with flimsy package deal scopes and mounts. I would bet many of them have never been sighted in, and some are loaded with varmint rounds. The .30 WCF doesn't seem to be the choice of cheapskate careless hunters anymore.

PS Paul
11-03-2012, 05:52 PM
"Controlled pairs" with an AR-15.

IMR Trail Boss.

Gear

Are you sayin' you don't like to pay twice as much for powder that is only half the usual amount? ha-ha! I'm with ya on the TB powder. Just can't bring myself to buy a half-a-pound for an inflated pound price.....

garym1a2
11-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Remlins

Idaho Mule
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
C abella's gurues, and those double L Beaner's. Put on some wool clothes, pull yer hat down and git in the brush.

alrighty
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Hey, Alrighty. I just laughed out pretty loudly when I read yer post! Oh, man, you have at least three different "belly-laughin' classic lines" in your post. Thanks for that. I am at work today and I REALLY needed a good laugh after all this drudgery I'm suffering right now.
Paul

Glad to have helped Paul as that was how it was intended.There are many things that do not fit my tastes.That being said if the tacti-cool trend , inline muzzleloaders ,and the new style hunting shows gets more people to enjoy shooting sports I am all for it.
Those extended mirror's are a different story , they must be stopped at all costs.

RobsTV
11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Modern clones made in other countries that now pass themselves off as "the originals" when being discussed, and have websites using original 100+ year old name yet totally based on the modern clones, such as 1858rem...

fatnhappy
11-04-2012, 11:06 AM
one of the things i hate is internet experts that cant spell cant type write run on sentences dont understand what punctuation is used for and expect to be taken seriously

bearcove
11-04-2012, 11:33 AM
tACTICOOL

zOMBIE ANYTHING

lONG RANGE HUNTING

cAP LOCK BUTTON

But I won't admit any of them are good.

Fishman
11-04-2012, 12:00 PM
The last two posts are full of WIN!- - -

Pet peeve is Internet use of a word in strange ways, the above being an example :)

Also thread drift! Isn't this supposed to be about things that probably work fine but you don't like?

Examples include:

The latest designer camo
Zombie slaying ammo (how would you test it?)
Bowhunting accessories who's names are needlessly dramatic or gory (e.g. Rage, terminator, bloodlust, eviscerator, you name it).

1Shirt
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Got nothing against any ctg as long as it is accurate and does what it is supposed to. Like some however better than others! Just me~

1Shirt!

Elkins45
11-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Other people tell me that supositories are pretty good, but I still don't like 'em.

They taste awful, and for all the good they done me I might as well just taken them and shoved them up my a**
:bigsmyl2:

429421Cowboy
11-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Things i don't like but are still good (i suppose i have to grant that, even if i don't like em!)

.30/06. Sorry. I know there will be a line to put a 150gr National Match bullet in me out of a Springfield for saying that, but unless it is a classic millitary rifle (to be fed cast), i likely will never own one. Shot my first deer with one, have seen plenty fall to it, and still there is something about it i don't care for!
.300 Win Mag. For every hard hunting and efficient woodsman who carrys one, i can find 6 greenhorns in the local BMA gutshooting the few remaining pencil-horned forkie mule deer at 200 yards then blaming the bullets for it. Also add to that the growing number of wanna-be "longrange hunters" that seem to latch onto it with no further study or work, then try and shoot at 400+. I know many longrange shooters and hunters that use it well and can make it sing, but up to 190 gr J bullets, the 7mm Rem mag holds it's own, with a higher BC.
.308. Just because snipers use it doesn't meen it makes you a deer sniper. Stand a .30 168 gr bt next to same in .284 and tell me the difference between short'n fat and long'n lean.
TSX bullets. Too light, too hard IMHO. Yet critters die each year from them, and they keep selling, so they can't be bad, just not for me.
Trailboss.
For that matter anything loaded to "Cowboy Action" levels. How many cowboys shoot 158gr WC's at 900fps? "Skeeter's Cow Killer Loads" comes to mind there. I think my cows would know i really am a sissy if they saw me using those! I do load lots of reduced loads for my revolvers, but i call them reduced loads, not "cowboy" levels!
Bushnell scopes. Seems to be the most common suspect found on battered .30/30's and the like, with lenses thicker than granny's bi-focals and twice as blurry!

And i am sure many will disagree with me, but i won't argue that any of the above doesn't work, just isn't my speed!

10x
11-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Things i don't like but are still good (i suppose i have to grant that, even if i don't like em!)

.30/06. Sorry. I know there will be a line to put a 150gr National Match bullet in me out of a Springfield for saying that, but unless it is a classic millitary rifle (to be fed cast), i likely will never own one. Shot my first deer with one, have seen plenty fall to it, and still there is something about it i don't care for!
snip

E. Kieth would be proud of you carrying on the tradition.
If Elmer would have designed the M-16 it would have been in 333 OKH...

GOPHER SLAYER
11-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Loyd, I think you and I must share DNA. I hate the .270 and I don't remember ever firing one, although some have passed through my hands, very quickly I might add. It was a dark day back in 1937 when Winchester stuck that ridiculous 277 bullet on a 30-06 case. Had they the good sense to make it a 7mm I think it would have become the most popular hunting round in the world. That is my opinion and after all, my opinion is all that matters. I can't speak for Ziezz scopes or that bullet you mentioned so I will let that pass. You guys have already listed some of my dislikes but I will try to add a few. I don't care for Dan Wesson pistols, rap ****, liberals, modern bows with all their wheels and gagets,any belted case, any pistol round larger than .45, scopes on hand guns [rather like putting a saddle on a pig] , most Remington rifles made after 1955 [thats when they dropped the model 37 target rifle]. I will now say that I agree with many already listed such as polymer pistols, Contender pistols. They look like the rubber guns we made when we were kids. I fired one once chambered in 44 mag. I will never forget the pain it caused.

jcwit
11-04-2012, 03:57 PM
I really could care less one way or the other but this sure struck me as a profound statement.

I hate the .270 and I don't remember ever firing one,

Firebricker
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Lloyd, I normally agree with you %97 of the time but gotta disagree on the .270 mine has served me very well. And I like Jack O Conners writing too. FB

BD
11-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I guess I'd best go hide under a rock.

I'm driving my second GMC 3/4 ton truck, (and own trailer mirrors for it). I've killed more game by weight with a .270 WBY and a DW revolver than everything else in the safe combined. I own two AR platform black rifles, and back in the day my high power rig weighed at least 11 lb with the buttstock weight in. Seems like I'm guilty of just about everything but in line muzzle loading.

I don't know how I'll ever sleep tonight.

BD

starmac
11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I have to add,just about anything with the word GREEN in it.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-04-2012, 11:14 PM
I am nothing if not profound.

Roosters
11-05-2012, 07:45 AM
I guess I'd best go hide under a rock.

I'm driving my second GMC 3/4 ton truck, (and own trailer mirrors for it). I've killed more game by weight with a .270 WBY and a DW revolver than everything else in the safe combined. I own two AR platform black rifles, and back in the day my high power rig weighed at least 11 lb with the buttstock weight in. Seems like I'm guilty of just about everything but in line muzzle loading.

I don't know how I'll ever sleep tonight.

BD
BD load up your GMC with one of your black rifles and maybe the 270 and go shoot a little . You’ll be alright, this is just the internet !! :shock: Have you looked at any of the in lines lately? Sounds like a good reason to go shopping.

DRNurse1
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Other people tell me that supositories are pretty good, but I still don't like 'em.

They taste awful, and for all the good they done me I might as well just taken them and shoved them up my a**
:bigsmyl2:

There once was a fellow who didn't read the directions to unwrap first, and he created a MEMORABLE image.

[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l:

Elkins45
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
guess i'll have to load some 140's up to 2850 and see if it does better than my mauser with 139's at 2850.

I'll tell you something that a 140 grain 270 does much better than a 139 grain 7mm does.

It fits into a rifle I actually own. [smilie=l:

Bullet Caster
11-05-2012, 06:51 PM
1. Anyone who bashes Norincos, Ak-47's, Hi-Point firearms and .30-06.
2. Anyone who bashes Norincos, AK-47's, Hi-Point firearms and .30-06.
3. Anyone who bashes Norincos, AK-47's, Hi-Point firearms and .30-06.
4. etc., etc., etc.
BC

runfiverun
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I'll tell you something that a 140 grain 270 does much better than a 139 grain 7mm does.

It fits into a rifle I actually own. [smilie=l:

that would be a good reason to try it that way, better'n the other way around.
maybe i should try the 277 size in my 7mm, a little paper could help...
then i'd know absolutley for shure...maybe.

429421Cowboy
11-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Things that are PROBABLY ok (as in might work until the right stuff shows up, it was life or death or somebody offered to pay me to take them)

Red tractors.

Trucks with bowties.

Paint horses.

Mud ducks.

Also i gotta agree, people who bash Hi-Point firearms for no reason. Yes they are ugly. Heavy as a brick. Point as well as said brick. No i do not own one. But i have shot them enough to know they are simple and relyable and won't bash anybody that uses one!

popper
11-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Stuff that breaks, doesn't work or is way overpriced; preachers and politicians.

dagger dog
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=rockrat; diesel trucks that have been "chipped" so the owner can put out a smoke screen behind him (If you like the smoke so much, put your exhaust pipes in front of your truck and aim the stacks into the cab of your truck!)

AND all that black smoke is UNBURNT fuel, does nothing to add horsepower just blows smoke, pollutes the air and smells like $$$$ !

1. Foaming aerosol gun cleaners.
2. Holsters and belts made of anything other than genuine cow leather.
3. Ballistic nylon underwear-anything.

runfiverun
11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
hmmm i don't think i will try the basllistic underwear, nylon or not.
that just don't sound right.

starmac
11-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Ballistic nylon underwear? Is there really such a thing.? lol

dagger dog
11-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Heck they make every thing out of Cordura don't they ?:kidding:

tonyjones
11-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I certainly hope that they don't make toilet paper out of Cordura.

Tony

troyboy
11-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Dillion reloading products. Chi Com firearm accesories. Tacticool nonesense. A proud American named product bought by a investment firm, sent manufacturing to China then selling the once American made product now a Chi Com product to the unsuspecting American consumer.

Jonesiv
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Tactical anything has gotten way out of control. It's now a case of life imitating art. All the coppers here now wear tacticool uniforms, even the turnkeys at the jail.

I hate to agree too loudly, because I really respect out law enforcement folks, but the police job is mostly dealing with civilians in civilized society, half the ones I see are dressed to invade Fallujah.
And I don't hunt, but all the high tech **** hunters use is crazy. As far as I can tell, guys spent most of the last century in red plaid coats with 30-30s and did pretty well.

Edit to add that the blanked out word above began with c and rhymed with wrap. Sorry if that's blankable language, didn't want y'all thinking it was something worse.

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2012, 06:43 AM
never heard of anyone altering there computer to make more smoke?? I just dont see any reason to do this. Why do they do it?
[QUOTE=rockrat; diesel trucks that have been "chipped" so the owner can put out a smoke screen behind him (If you like the smoke so much, put your exhaust pipes in front of your truck and aim the stacks into the cab of your truck!)

AND all that black smoke is UNBURNT fuel, does nothing to add horsepower just blows smoke, pollutes the air and smells like $$$$ !

1. Foaming aerosol gun cleaners.
2. Holsters and belts made of anything other than genuine cow leather.
3. Ballistic nylon underwear-anything.

dagger dog
11-09-2012, 01:04 PM
The point is, they "chip" their trucks because it'supposed to give more HP,but the engine is not modified to handle the extra fuel( longer duration cam profile,larger intake valves,etc)so it goes out the tail pipe as black smoke.

But the "chip" is a miracle it only takes 5 minutes to install and the "mechanics" on the E-Bay site said it would give 50 xtra HP.

bowfin
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
plastic and aluminum framed handguns

Remington 870 shotguns

"Green" bullets

saboted bullets

Any knife from China