PDA

View Full Version : Lee Mold Questions

eagle-man
11-01-2012, 02:26 AM
I have been using a 6 cavity Lee mold for a few months and have been happy with it. I recently got another of the same mold so that I could get two molds going, and use one, and then while I was letting one cool, use the other and be able to swap between the two and keep boolits dropping. Currently I am using a 2 cavity and a 6 cavity Lee molds.

I bought a second 6 cavity mold that has the same mold numbers on it. After inspecting the mold closer, it looks like there is something different or wrong with it. First it looks like someone may have tried to remove the bevel at the base of the boolit. I also tried to see if one of the boolits that I have cast in my current mold was going to fit in it, and it looks like this new mold is slightly smaller. Also if I take half of the new mold and half of my current mold, the pins are not quite lining up. IT seems like the pins are about 0.020" off.

For Lee molds of the same number, should there be this much of a difference between two identical number molds? I have a Lee 2 and 6 cavity mold, and the boolits fit the same in either. Could this mold have been damaged in a way that caused it to shrink?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

dromia
11-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Sounds like typical Lee "quality" control.

If it isn't as advertised and within their generous tolerances with their alloy then send it back re-enter the Lee mould lottery.