PDA

View Full Version : Plated vrs lead ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
11-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Hi all, newbi to the forum and reloading and just starting to try lead and have some questions.

I've been loading 9mm and 45acp in plated [3000] and have had good success with them and have learned a lot but I have found a company that sells 1000 9mm rn 125gn for $50 shipped and 45acp 230 rn for $82 shipped [Indianabulletco] so i've ordered 9mm to start with and will order 45acp next month.

What kind of differance will I encounter Between the Plated and Lead for lead fouling.

I have several powders to choose from and would like your imput on what one I should use, They are Unique/Bullsey/Titegroup/231/WSF

The 9mm 125gr RN will be shot thru my Glock 17 with a LoneWolf SS 6" barrel.
The 45acp 230gr RN will be shot thru my Kimber TLE SS 5".

What load data would you recomend for each of these and recomend a lenght for each.

I will compare your recomendations to the several manuals that I have to get a good idea of what i'll be useing.

Thanks for your help, Steve

waksupi
11-01-2012, 02:59 AM
That will depend on the actual groove diameter of your guns, and the actual diameter of the bullets. Don't depend on their measurements. Get the right fit, you will have no leading at all. Better to make your own, and be sure. For what you are planning to spend, you can buy a mold, and alloy to get you well on your way.

jlchucker
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
I wish the guys that shoot those plated bullets out of their handguns would go back to using hard-cast. At least the guys that shoot at the club I belong to. We have very few guys that cast their own, and there once was an abundance of fired boolits laying around out in our target berms. It made for good range-lead mining. [smilie=b: :lovebooli

Harter66
11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Unique works well in my HP clone. There are about 8000 threads relating to the 9mm and cast,probably 2nd by the 40 S&W for being troublesome. You can search for 9mm or see the classics/sticky forum.

The high points as used here:
Boolits .001-3 over groove dia
Seating,crimp to just drop on to YOUR chamber.
Don't sweat fat Boolits, if it drops in the chamber it'll leave the bbl,9mm run grooves from .354-358.
Crimp only as much as absolutely needed. Over crimping swages Boolits down an causes leading.
The faster powders can but not always "bump" a softer boolit to fit the bore.

I shoot a boolit that drops at .360 128gr in mine at a BHN of 14-16. No/negligible leading,even when shot in 40-60 rd strings of fast shooting. And I'm still kind of a rookie here, been wrong often and scrubbed many miles of bores for it.

1 other thing get all the copper out you can before you start, buy a bag of 000 or 0000 steel wool it'll speed things if you don't get all the copper out.

357Mag
11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
BackTS -

Howdy !

I can tell you that .35 calibre Rem 150PSPs shot lights-out in my M-336 XLR.
I have been told, those bullets are plated.

Neither leading nor "copper" were a problem. I was/am able to clean the rifle's bore ( my rifle, my loads ) w/o having to use a brush.

" Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner " gets the job done, handily.
I follow-up cleaning w/ a patch wet w/ " Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner" , and take the first shot "wet".

WIth regards,
357Mag