PDA

View Full Version : What Alloy for 38 Wad cutter

J.D.Books
06-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Will be casting 38 wad cutters for the first time and curious as to what alloy to use if any or just straight lead. Thanks

garandsrus
06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
JD,

I have used mostly straight WW air cooled. I am thinking of going a little softer though and mix 50-50 with pure lead. I shoot the wad cutters at low velocities.

John

fishhawk
06-09-2007, 11:27 AM
plain old wheel weights air cooled work just fine for me with the velocity around 650 FPS i get no leading at all after thousands of rounds

ebner glocken
06-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I use ww dumped into a five gallon bucket of water. These have always worked well for me.

Buckshot
06-10-2007, 10:48 AM
...............I get superb performance from my K38 Smith with the Lee 358-148WC cast of pure lead. They're shot 'as cast' with just the bottom lube groove lubed. Lee TL also works well but is smokier, and a tad messier to shoot. Also have to watch for buildup in the seater die.

To tell the truth, the pistol also shoots them just as well when they're cast from garden variety scrap also. So, I guess what I'm saying is to just cast up a supply out of whatever lead you have the most of and give them a try :-)

.................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
06-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Rick--

I knew you used some unalloyed lead for the 38 S&W fat WC's--didn't know about your 38 Specials though.

I've just used WW metal for my WC stuff. It has been a long time since I used WC designs in any of my revos, having fallen under the sway of Keith and Thompson. I have a 32 and 38 WC design each, both button-ended and designed to be seated a bit outside the case mouth (#313492 and #358432). Both have shot very well, and IIRC neither one does the 65 yard nosedive and cartwheel bit that a lot of WC designs are known for. After the move gets finished, I might have to re-heat those long-cold mold blocks.

Buckshot
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
"Rick--

I knew you used some unalloyed lead for the 38 S&W fat WC's--didn't know about your 38 Specials though. "

...........You betcha :-)! Easy casting too. JUst crank the pot up to warp factor 8 and cast about as fast as you can. VERY unusual to not get perfect boolits every time.

.............Buckshot