PDA

View Full Version : 210 gr HOCH bullet 8x57 suggestions...

NYBushBro
10-31-2012, 08:02 PM
My cousin and I cast up a BUNCH of nose-pour HOCH 210 gr .323 bullets today... and I am hoping that someone can give us a place (ie: powder suggestions. and starting loads) to start for HUNTING loads (ONLY) for this bullet out of K98 Mausers.

No off-topic input requested.

Our alloy is (roughly) water dropped 50:50 WW:Pb with 2% of WW calculated Sn added (ie: 2% of 50% WW). What can I say... we-re cheap with our SN!

If we can avoid it, we would like to avoid HP'ing this bullet (if possible), but would like it to expand well up to 100 yards, with good expansion, penetration, and a decent case capacity % (if this is at all possible... if not, we will go with what flies well.) I have read the info about 1000 ft. lbs. at impact velocity, and we are trying to keep that in mind with our shooting lane distance (100 yds. or less).

We will be using re-formed HXP (Greek) 30-06 brass (and probably CCI mil-spec LR primers - which are roughly equivalent to magnum primers).

You hunting veterans who know what the K98 barrel twist is capable of (velocity-wise) FROM EXPERIENCE - we welcome your input. (Trolls, etc. please refrain.) PLEASE try to stay 'on topic' - we only want to hunt with K98 8MM sporters (with original military 'stepped barrels', in sporter stocks, and stock sights.)

This bullet has a decent meplat (from the sprue plate cut-off) and we are trying to balance optimum velocity vs. RPM threshold... and still come out with some meat.

No offense to other well-meaning (but off-topic) members, but I have seen how an OP question can become an 'other than an information-gathering' experience (ie: Swede CM, etc.)

I know that there are some of you out there who have 'done the dance'... and I look forward to hearing from you.

Hope I have covered all of the bases up-front, and I hope I have offended NONE.
Thanks in advance for all relevant input.

Moonie
11-01-2012, 03:04 PM
35gr of H4895 should give you around 1900-1950fps with that boolit. Plenty for hunting.

I shoot the Lee 215gr that casts a bit heavy with that load and it gives me around 1,850fps.

NYBushBro
11-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks.

NYBushBro
11-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Best 8MM boolit mold I think I ever bought (for 50 bucks IIRC)... and I have both the 323470 and 323471. It's a slammer.....

This mold was cut in the 1980's;not sure whether there is a statute of limitations on something line this.

johnnybar
11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
No gas check?