PDA

View Full Version : A Mosin Nagant Question?

Beekeeper
10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I have a 91/30 that I removed the rear sight from and installed a scope mount.

Now the problem is I can no longer get a check weld when aiming the rifle.
Don't want to add anything permanent so am looking for a sourse of for the check rests that are held on be velcrow straps.
Someone at the range told me about a website that handles mostly black rifle stuff had them.
At 76 my mind is sometimes ( most of the time) a seive and I have forgotten the name of the site.
Any one got any ideas?

beekeeper

roots911
10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Brownells has a leather lace on pad that looks period correct and allows a good cheek plant. It really stays in place if you loosen the steel butplate and clamp the ends of the lace on ties after the pad is tied in place by retightening the screws. Had that system on my 91/30 and it worked really well.

Fly
10-31-2012, 08:39 PM
roots911 that's some great advise, my friend.

Fly (Thanks)

I'll Make Mine
10-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe I just have higher cheekbones than the average Slav (actually, fairly likely), but I find I can't get a cheek weld even with the original sights on my 91/30; if I plant my cheek the way I've understood I should (and, indeed, the way that works with other rifles I've shot and shouldered), my eye is too low to see the front sight through the rear notch.

I like the idea of a lace-on leather pad -- especially since I need only about 1/8" rise to get to the iron sights. If the Brownell's pad works for a scope, though, even a low mount on the original Mosin sight base, it's probably too thick for my situation.

roots911
10-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I believe that they have models with different riser heights.

Tao77
11-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Ask about check weld on akfiles. Mosin topic.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Hang Fire
11-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Cheek risers are very simple to make. This lace up one is from scrap leather picked up at yard sale and some hard foam rubber. After fitting dry and punching lace holes, I soaked it in water, applied heavy coats of wax to stock area, installed and laced up tight with wet leather thongs. (from old plaited leather belt) When it had dried and shrunk, no way could it be moved.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/TANSTAAFL-2/P1010313.jpg

leadman
11-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Just Google Mosin nagant parts and you will find many sources for this.