PDA

View Full Version : Hornady ProJector press

plmitch
10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
I was given an old Hornady ProJector press over the weekend by a gentleman who picked it up at scrap yard for a couple of bucks. Seems like a strong, sturdy press but the timing seems to be off. Anyone here have any experience with this press or timing issues? Thanks

ratboy
10-31-2012, 05:55 PM
i have 2. they are confusing to set up at times but if you read the instructions slowly, they are much easier to adjust.
i have a real copy of the instructions if you need them.'
the priming system needs to be modified as it does not work well stock.
they do not make priming system parts for them so what you have is it unless you make it or modify an existing product to fit. i.e. primer tubes.
i will buy it from you if you do not wish to tinker with it.
i like them. as with all products, some like some dislike them.

A pause for the COZ
10-31-2012, 07:05 PM
I picked one up about a month ago. You do have to tinker a bit to get every thing in sync and chugging along.

You can down load the manual from Hornady and that helps.

Two issues that seem to affect advancing.
The shell plate is the main one. There is a narrow window between too tight and too loose.
Too tight and it wont advance properly and too loose it will advance but the spring wont hold the shell case as it should.
You have to tighten it down good( be careful if you force it when its too tight you can break it) and then start to loosen it a nut flat at a time until you get good advance then put a case in and see how that goes. ( Make sure you set it up with the case retaining spring on it. It adds drag that you need to account for.)
If ist too loose tighten it up a flat or a 1/2 a flat.
Go back and forth until you have it.

If that does not solve the advance then you need to adjust the spring catchie things on the bottom.
The right one is for the up advance down on the handle. the left for the down advance up on the handle.
Only adjust one at a time.
Insert a allen wrench in the hole in the bolt, then loosen the lock nut.
Loosening the bolt raises the pawl. Raise it until it wont pass the index wheel. Then tighten it until it just passes the index. Then tighten the lock bolt.
That is the max advance.
I have seen a mod where the guy ground down the trailing edge of advance slots.
Seems like that would allow for further advance if your pawls are too worn.
Once you figure it out the 1st time the 2nd goes allot easier.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8577.jpg

300winmag
10-31-2012, 07:31 PM
I also have 2, They purr like kitten's. I did not like the pill bottle for a primer catcher (kept falling off) I went to the electric supply house and bought 2 pieces of heavy wall shrink tube #14 to #6 30" long held it up about 2"s on the brass tube and heated for a few seconds. Now primers go to the floor in a bucket!!!! You can see it in the pic.
You can download and print the manual from Hornady's web site, here is the link.
http://www.hornady.com/support/downloads/users-manuals/discontinued

ratboy
10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
i used a piece of vinyl tubing to modify my primer drop just like 300winmag did. i set my press up to load 38 wadcutters in mass. i also modified mine to have a case feeder but i dont recommend it as its is a lot of work.
:holysheephttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_18804508f1e262c9d0.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7216)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-31-2012, 11:52 PM
My advice is to do what these other fellas did. Set it up for the one caliber you load the most and let it go. If you need a shellholder and don't have any, I have a number one shell holder that takes .308, 30.06, .45ACP and several other calibers. It fits your press. I'd sell it for $25.00 shipped priority mail to your door.

The timing issue can be mostly corrected by careful adjustment of the feed pawls in and out.

Dave

Hardcast416taylor
11-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I bought mine the first year they were made and it came as a .38 Spcl set up. I had a timing problem right from the start. I tried for several weeks to readjust the timing as per the instructions. Finally I called the factory asking where I should go on this next, they finally said to send it back as it sounds like a defect problem. A full month later I get a completely worked over press with perfect timing and a full set of original accessories to go with it. I load from .32 acp up thru my .375 H&H and .416 Taylor on this press and many calibers in between. I learned through trial and error what things on the press were worth keeping on and what to remove. I don`t prime on the press nor have an auto powder drop nor case eject. I have a press that strictly does the case details of loading and I am happy with it that way.Robert

marlin39a
11-01-2012, 07:45 AM
I bought one new over 20 years ago and had nothing but headaches getting it to run right. Caliber changes were a pain to get running right. Timing problems with shellholder advance. Use to have to adjust it manualy on each stroke. It finally lost its place on the bench and sits in the corner of my shed. It needs to go.

buck1
11-01-2012, 09:12 AM
These are great presses once set up.I have a few of them.
First the big nut that holds the shell plate on needs to be down but not tight or even snug agenst the shell plate. If its not advancing enugh it could be too tight. You just want the slop out of it.
If that dont fix it, try to adjust the two paws below the ram. Takes a bit of trial and error. The hardest part is the priming adjustment, lots of trial and error there. Dont get discouraged! they are great presses once you get them right.
Two years ago I sent one to Hornady and they fixed it for free....Buck

TCFAN
11-02-2012, 11:08 PM
I have 2 of the Hornady Projectors. One is set up for small primers and the other for large.Caliber change is not a problem as long as I don't mess with the primer size.On the small primer I load mostly 38 specials.On the large I load 44 mag. and 45ACP..........Terry

cheese1566
11-03-2012, 11:40 AM
I have two and a Pro7.

If you have some mechanical talent, timing is no issue if you read the instructions and take your time to understand what is going on in the system. Seems to me like the original instructions I have compared to the one on the website are different in the timing area. I think I have both in .pdf if you need. There are actually two areas to time if needed, but stick to the pawl height unkless drastic measures are needed. (the other is adjusting the swing plate the pawls are set in.)

I bought my first one years ago used that came with almost every shellplate at that time (wow, 20 years goes by fast!) It was a Pro7 that was factory converted to a ProJector. Never had an issue except fine tuning, but that was overcome no problem. It is now dedicated to 38 special.

My second was bought here cheap since the owner said it didn't have any of the "modern" capabilities of bullet and case feeders...no problem with me. it is now dedicated to 9mm.

My Pro7 has only a couple shellholders and they differ from the ProJector style. be careful when buying shellholders to make sure they will be compatible. This old girl was going to be didicated for 30-06, but went into storage pending more room on the bench. Same thing here as before, bought it for a song since "it was old and no longer modern".

Good presses. I have used RCBS primer tubes in a pinch. If you have original tubes, they are almost worth gold and soon will be worth more than the press!

plmitch
11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, sound like it can be fixed up. Not sure if I'll ever use it, much more happy with a good old single stage press.

Wal'
11-06-2012, 07:26 AM
Bought mine as a novice reloader 25+ years ago, bolted it to the bench & its never stopped loading multiple calibers.

Broke the case ejector, after 20 yrs, bought another from Hornady & thats about it, good press.

jcw1970
11-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I had 5 at one time. The most important thing when setting the pawls is that you make very small turns when you are adjusting them. This takes awhile but is worth it. I had them setup for a specific caliber so I don't know if changing calibers messes with the timing.

Hardcast416taylor
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Had it explained to me once by a commercial reloader. If the paint is an red that is a dullish color and not shiny. That is an early Pro-7 press and is a tad bit better in quality than the shiny red painted version, Pro-jector, where corners were being cut on quality.Robert

ratboy
11-07-2012, 08:58 PM
once you get it set up, i think you will like it. problem is, it loads ammo fast so you have to do more shooting to have empties to load. such is the circle of life.
[smilie=l:

cheese1566
11-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Once you get the timing back in order, you shouldn't have to mess with the pawls underneath except for occassional greasing.
Caliber changeovers shouldn't mess up timing.
However, having the shellplate too tight will keep it from"creeping" or jumping into the next station. This is from the detents and reliefs under the shellplate.
Having it too loose and powder can jump or spill out of the casing.

Just remember to always move the press handle in a nice smooth rate.

I find changeovers to be OK between those of same primer size. Changing shellplates ain't no biggie, but primer cups and punches can be. I stocked up on extra parts a year ago that Hornady still had in stock. I have primer cups/punches mounted on their own swing arms to make changeover easier.
I usually find more time is needed to change over my powder drop setting.

Both my units are set up for small primer loadings. My RCBS AmmoMaster is delegated to large primers.

Give Hornady a call to see what is left in stock. Stock up on the case retaining springs (same as the current LNL) as they get pinched and kinked. The only downfall to these girls are the lack of primer tubes and some other primer parts no longer made.

BD
11-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I own a ProJector that I bought from a local guy for $150 many years ago. From the lack of wear on it it was obvious to me that it had not seen any real use. After fighting with it for a weekend trying to get it set up and working reliably. I stepped back and looked closely at how it was designed. Four hours later I had made a few simple modifications that resulted in a level of reliability that has allowed me to load over 100,000 .45 acps since that day with only minor yearly maintenance.

At the time I posted a long thread with pictures detailing these few simple reliability modifications for the ProJector. I just did a quick search and didn't turn up that thread. It may have been on one of the older incarnations of the board. In any event, there are three basic mods that will eliminate nearly all of the issues common to the projector.
1: Look at the bottom plate on the ram, where the paws act against a series of machined cuts to turn the ram assembly as you move the handle. You want to dremel a relief bevel on the back side of these cuts so that the paw which is not in play at the time does not catch on it's back travel. This allows much greater latitude in the adjustment and wear which lowers your stress level when dealing with the pawl adjustment.
2: On the right side of the lower ram assembly you will see a vertical black piece of flat stock with a bevel on the top which moves the primer arm to deliver the primer. From the factory the angle is cut at 45 degrees which makes the primer arm quite "snappy". It's pretty simple to make a new piece of flat stock with a much more shallow cut. A bevel about 4" in length will greatly slow the primer arm travel so that primers proceed to the shell plate at a stately, controlled pace on feeding. Just make sure that the arm will still get there before the shell plate comes down on the cup. This eliminates the primers getting flipped out of the cup on the way to being seated.
3: The primer supply tube and guard sit in an aluminum block mounted to the press base. The arm brings the primer out from under a cut in this block on it's way to the shell plate. If you relieve the "roof" of the cut in that block just a bit you will eliminate the occasional primer that gets flipped up on edge due to a slightly high primer anvil.

If you need more info, PM me and I'll do what I can to help out. If the press has the small primer feed parts, I'd be happy to make an offer if you want to sell.
BD

HangFireW8
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I have had a ProJector since they were sold new. If the timing is wrong, you may need to adjust the pawls on the bottom. I had to do this after ripping the rim off of a stuck .308 case, and replace a roll pin. It was tedious, but works great again.

I have the original primer feed. It works great without modification, but is a pain to adjust, I'll be the first to admit. Once set up properly, leave it alone and it'll run well for a long time.

I would pick one up cheap in a heartbeat, but won't pay full price for one. Overall I can't complain, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of mine.

HF

Wal'
11-11-2012, 03:38 AM
I have had a ProJector since they were sold new.

I have the original primer feed. It works great without modification, but is a pain to adjust, I'll be the first to admit. Once set up properly, leave it alone and it'll run well for a long time.

I would pick one up cheap in a heartbeat, but won't pay full price for one. Overall I can't complain, I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of mine.

HF

Ditto. :smile: