PDA

View Full Version : Chambering

Beekeeper
10-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Is it possible to complete a chamber by hand?
With the proper reamer of course!
If I have to change out the barrel on one of my Mausers I can get a short chambered barrel from Midway.

Does it have to be finished chambered by a gunsmith or can I rent a reamer and guages and do it by hand?

beekeeper

Casting Timmy
10-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Some prefer to finish chambering with the barrel tight against the action. As you tighten the barrel it will crush a little, chambering with the barrel tight ensures you get the best chamber.

Just go really slow since you don;t have a lathe to cut it back to start over

John Taylor
10-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I usually go the last .010" by hand with the action installed if possible. You will need an extension to drive the reamer.

KCSO
11-02-2012, 09:04 AM
No problem with doing it that way, I made a reamer extension from a 3/8 socket extension and it works fine.

tomme boy
11-02-2012, 01:36 PM
They call it a short chambered barrel. Go slow and you will be fine. Clean is the main thing. Never run the reamer backwards, it will mess up the cutting edge.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Beekeeper, I wanted to chamber a barrel in 30-30 and I had never done it before so I asked my gunsmith how he did the job, assuming he did it on the lathe. He said he just put the reamer in a T-handle, poured a liberal amount of transmission fluid in the chamber and began to slowly turn the reamer by hand, stopping frequently to clean out the shavings. My barrel was threaded into a Ruger #1 so I could watch the progress of the reamer and when it looked close I stopped, cleaned out the chamber and checked for head space. I don't know how you would do that if it were threaded into a bolt action rifle. I have done other chambers since, all single shots and they all came out great. He cautioned me that you can't pour in too much oil.

I'll Make Mine
11-04-2012, 05:17 PM
My barrel was threaded into a Ruger #1 so I could watch the progress of the reamer and when it looked close I stopped, cleaned out the chamber and checked for head space. I don't know how you would do that if it were threaded into a bolt action rifle.

You'd use an extension so the T-handle would clear the tang.

No_1
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
With the correct tools on hand you can do it. "Correct" being defined as what you need to do the job such as: sharp reamer, T-handle, extension, go no-go gage and plenty of cutting fluid . Finishing the chamber will be a piece of cake compared to removing the old barrel and making sure the receiver is ready to accept the new barrel.

MBTcustom
11-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Heck yeah you can do it by hand, and you should too!
If you get the reamer, gauges, extension, and T-handle, then you will be pickin banjo with a new rifle in the corner in no time.
Use dark cutting oil
Take a few turns and clear the chips with a toothbrush, or an old paint brush or something.
Do not "scrub" the reamer in the chamber (that is, going back and forth CW CCW) Never twist the reamer in reverse and always turn it clockwise.
Remember that if you do no have a lathe, you get one shot at this, and that reamer cuts a lot faster than you think it does.
Go slow!!!

nanuk
11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
what cartridge?