PDA

View Full Version : My Mix JPW/X-Lox 350/ Beeswax

armednfree
10-31-2012, 12:11 PM
This is what I came up with that worked rather well. I took a full can of JPW and put it on my hotplate. That cooked down to about 1/3rd of the can. while it was liquid I added enough X-lox to bring it up to twice that level. When it cooled it was still too soft. I remelted it and put in 1 sheet of bee hive foundation. (I have some old dried up stuff that is no longer usable for the bee's) And an equal measure of x-lox 350. This stuff is the exact same color as Red Rooster lube. But still a bit softer.

I use a 458 mag case that I ran into a 45acp die a bit, about as long as the Lee 310 grain GC 44 bullet I'm using. That cuts is but leaves a small film over the surface of the boolit. The lube is still a bit tacky. No matter, let the boolits sit over night and the lube hardens up. Obviously there is still a small amount of solvent in it, doesn't bother me a bit.

I loaded this boolit with 20 grains of H110, 18 rounds with no leading. That load is a bit much after my wrist surgery so I backed it down to 18.4 grains. Here's the question, I loaded the boolit with some in the rear groove and some in the forward groove. In my SBH, which do you guess will be more accurate?

runfiverun
10-31-2012, 02:28 PM
if the lube is good nuff it won't matter, you could fill all both and be fine.
if i had to guess i'd go with the bottom one.

armednfree
10-31-2012, 11:07 PM
if the lube is good nuff it won't matter, you could fill all both and be fine.
if i had to guess i'd go with the bottom one.

Now I need another experiment. I'm going to get a 240 grain GC Lee boolit and see if I can drive my lube to failure. Not that I would be interested in shooting deer with that 240 because 300 grain class 44's are just killing machines. So you think seated deeper will shoot better?

runfiverun
11-01-2012, 01:00 PM
i do.
in several of my target type boolits the bottom groove proved to be most accurate.
it's where all the work is going on.
now you might need more lube to get the job done and adding the larger more forward groove will be better in that situation.
but a good lube will be happy no matter if one or both are used.

if you add some mineral spirits to your mix it will dry faster.
i use a mix of jpw/tre-wax [50-50] cook the solvents off and add a mix of xlox/mineral spirits [50-50] in equal amounts to the cooked down jpw mix.
then add a chunk of b-wax approx 20% the size of the melted mix.
makes a good swirl/dip/tumble lube.
similar to your lube