PDA

View Full Version : H&G 51 Hollow Point Mould - info needed

FISH4BUGS
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
To all - I purchased a 2 cavity H&G 51 in mint condition. It was factory DUAL hollow point. It is only the second one that our own TexasFlyBoy, our resident H&G expert (Thanks Tom!) has ever seen.....and he has the other one!
I paid really stupid big money for it but I am not disappointed. The 51 is my favorite 38/357 cast bullet, and the hollow point makes it even better!
I sat down with it last night and took a close look at it. I am not sure that I really understand the technique of hollow point casting just yet. Do the actual rods that make the hollow point get "set" and held by screws or does the mould fall apart after every casting? I mean the HP rods fall out of the mould?
I don't want to do something wrong here and risk any damage to the mould.
Any advice for casting with a dual hollow point mould will be sincerely appreciated!

Blammer
10-31-2012, 03:51 PM
got a picture? that my be helpful in answereing.

FISH4BUGS
10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
I guess I really don't know what to expect with casting for hollow points. I just don't want to do anything that could hurt this mould....I paid way too much for it and it is far too rare to not be extra careful with it.
Maybe someone could just sort of walk through the process of casting hollow points. I certainly know how to cast regular boolits, but I don't know the differences (if any) in doing hollow points.

Beau Cassidy
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
I could come down from Farmington, ME this weekend and we could put it to good use if you want me to.

FISH4BUGS
11-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Beau: I won't be around this weekend. I have to make a living in all this fun. It may well be a couple of weeks before I actually get to sit down and try out the mould. I am trying to gather information and casting techniques before I start.
Many thanks for the kind offer.

Beau Cassidy
11-01-2012, 09:02 PM
10-4. I will be leaving Maine for Chattanooga a few days before Thanksgiving.

Texasflyboy
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I am not sure that I really understand the technique of hollow point casting just yet. Do the actual rods that make the hollow point get "set" and held by screws or does the mould fall apart after every casting?

For a factory original Hensley & Gibbs Hollow Point mould (Pictured) you insert the hollow point pin and lock it in place prior to pouring the metal into the sprue hole.

After filling, gently twist the pin and remove it. Then open the blocks and tap the hollow point bullet(s) out. Close the blocks, insert the pin, repeat.

I mean the HP rods fall out of the mould?

No, it shouldn't "fall" out of the mould. There should be a screw on the bottom to rotate the flanged area on the pin to hold the pin in place.

Pics:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/51%20HP_3.jpg

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/51%20HP_2.jpg

This is a picture of the screw on the bottom of the blocks that should be there to hold the pin in place.

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/51%20HP_4.jpg

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/51%20HP_1.jpg

I don't like the original design for the hollow-point technique. I higher recommend you send it to Erik Ohlen and get it converted to a Cramer style hollow point pin setup. It's much faster and easier to cast:

http://hgmould.gunloads.com/HG51HP/2.jpg

FISH4BUGS
11-06-2012, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=Texasflyboy;1908443]For a factory original Hensley & Gibbs Hollow Point mould (Pictured) you insert the hollow point pin and lock it in place prior to pouring the metal into the sprue hole.

After filling, gently twist the pin and remove it. Then open the blocks and tap the hollow point bullet(s) out. Close the blocks, insert the pin, repeat.

AHA! The missing piece of info. Twist and remove the pin. Now it makes sense to me.

No, it shouldn't "fall" out of the mould. There should be a screw on the bottom to rotate the flanged area on the pin to hold the pin in place.

This is a picture of the screw on the bottom of the blocks that should be there to hold the pin in place.

With the above info it now makes sense.

I don't like the original design for the hollow-point technique. I higher recommend you send it to Erik Ohlen and get it converted to a Cramer style hollow point pin setup. It's much faster and easier to cast:

Maybe so, but I would wonder if that might affect the collector's value of the mould. As you said you have only seen two of them. I think I 'd like to keep it orginal.
Many thanks for the info, Tom.

Texasflyboy
11-06-2012, 12:20 PM
You did notice the pin is all steel right?

Hope you wear gloves when you cast...

:smile:

FISH4BUGS
11-06-2012, 01:25 PM
You did notice the pin is all steel right?

Hope you wear gloves when you cast...

:smile:

After getting a thin (.25") set of handles that fit, and in doing some dry runs with the mould, I was wondering what happens to the pins when I open the mould.
That's where I got the idea that the two hollow point pins drop out of the mould, but then that didn't make any sense because eventually they would get beat up. This mould is virtually new and I'd like to keep it like that.
I noted the flange but really couldn't figure out the mechanics of it all. Computers I can help you with - something complicated like a hollow point mould is just too much for me. :lol:
Now that I know, my gloves are ready to fly.Welder's gloves might be what are needed - I bet those pins get pretty toasty.
I really want to try this out.....all I need is the time.
Thanks again for your input.
Donald