PDA

View Full Version : First sizer for .357 magnum

dmftoy1
06-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Would you buy .358 or .357? (I'm too lazy to slug my barrel . ..somewhat intimidated by it as well) Just looking for a good starting point. I don't mind buying another die if the first one doesn't work out well. Right now I'm leaning towards .358

S&W Model 60 (Ladysmith) if that helps at all . . .it's for my 70 year old mother . . .really . . . . .I mean it. :)

NuJudge
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM
If you own the revolver or can borrow it from Mom for a couple minutes. I you don't or can't, start with .358".

Actually, I use as big a bullet as I can get to chamber. If I could use a .360" size die and still get it to chamber I would. I do not believe in actually reducing the size of bullets. I just use the sizer die to lube the bullets.

CDD

38-55
06-09-2007, 07:49 AM
I'll second what NuJudge says.... as long as it chambers and does not wedge into the step in the front of the cylinder have at it. I've shot 'un-sized' or as some would say, 'as cast' bullet in revolvers for many years this way with outstanding results. It's always been my contention that a bullet does not know or care if it is sized in a die or in a barrel... With that said I do size some of my bullets but they are for specific applications. 90% of revolver shooting can be done with as cast's........
Just my 2 cents...
Calvin

dmftoy1
06-09-2007, 08:23 AM
So if I understand you correctly you'd measure the diameter of the cylinder throat on the gun and add say .001? Do you think my frankford arsenal calipers would be accurate enough to measure it?

Thanks for all the advice. The mold gets here on Tuesday so I'd like to drop a couple of boolits and measure the distance between the lube grooves and send off an order on Thursday or Friday for the new sizing die.

Have a good one,
Dave

38-55
06-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Dave Sir,
Yup they'd work. I find that if I'm looking to size for a revolver I find my best results is to measure the front of the cylinder and add a thousandth to that measurement...
Your mileage may vary but that's what's worked for me. But as long as your load is relativity mild you really don't need to size at all....
Hope this helps
Calvin