PDA

View Full Version : Offer from smelting factory,alloy- Good deal?

Balta
10-31-2012, 07:00 AM
I just find some local smelting factory and ask about lead -antiomony alloy.
Guy says that have some "hard" lead from earlier projects and that this alloy is arrorund 5% of antimony and 2% Tin. I think that cod give boolits about 14 Bhn hardness ..Hi can melt that in any shape i want.
Wi discus a price and hi was talking about 1,3 USD a pound..
I have COWW for about 0.6 USD a pound...(i melt them in small pot about 15 lbs so this become a lot work for me to get ingots from COWW)
wi arrange to met next week and discus a posible buy..Place is about 45 miles from my house.
I realy like idea of having some clean ingots of alloy and not messing with COWW..I also planing to cast some larger quantity of 9 mm boolits (10-15 000) for sale.I order a Lee hardness tester so i will chek the alloy as soon tester arive to be sure .
Interested to heir what you guys think about this ....
:cbpour:

I'll Make Mine
10-31-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't think $1.30 per pound for clean ingots is excessive, especially if you've been paying $0.60 per pound for scrap wheel weights; it's less than 50% over spot price for pure lead, and the antimony and tin would raise the alloy price. The composition is very similar to an average of wheel weights (and you can always add a little tin if you find it needs help filling out).

You'll want the ingots small enough to go into your pot, of course. ;)

bumpo628
10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
That alloy is very close to Hardball (2% tin, 6% antimony, 92% lead).
On Rotometals.com, that alloy goes for $2.79 / lb
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/hardballbulletcastingalloy.htm

So, your deal looks very good. You can get known alloy for less than half price what it would cost here. Get all you can.

You can mix your alloy with pure lead in 1:1 ratio and get and alloy with 1% tin, 2.5% antimony. That will work well for many applications.

Balta
11-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Well then i better go visit guy as soon is posiible