PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about divorcing Bullseye. Let's see some alternatives.

AviatorTroy
10-31-2012, 01:17 AM
I have loaded many rounds for many years with Bullseye. Mostly talking .45 ACP and .38 special. I can put up with the dirty guns and the clouds of smoke, but what I cannot put up with is the fact that the only squib loads Ive ever had were with bullseye. I've probably loaded 50,000 rounds including many rifles and pistols with many different calibers and powders. A couple years ago I had a load in .38 go pop and I was lucky enough to hear it and check, sure enough the primer fired but the powder looked like a slow burn of a mess and the bullet traveled only about an inch down the barrel.

Fast forward to last weekend. Second time out with my brand new Range Officer loaded with the classic 5 gr of BE and a 230 gr FMJ and it did it again. Well, I have to say that removing a bullet stuck in a brand new match barrel is defiantly NOT ok with me.

I'm ready to try something else. Let's face it, BE is a classic but just because it worked great for my grandfather, my father, and my uncle doesn't mean it's the best thing available anymore.

I hear a lot of talk about Winchester super target these days. Never tried it but I might. What else do y'all like?

I like light to medium target loads that will still cycle the action with a standard spring. Something that works in 38spl and .45, a modern, clean burning, even metering ball powder please. Thanks!

Wal'
10-31-2012, 01:35 AM
Been using WST in my target guns for years both .32 S&W long & .38, moved up from 452AA which Winchester ceased producing.

Meters well & burns clean, have never had a squib load, Hodgdon Clays would be another one to try.

Lefty SRH
10-31-2012, 05:22 AM
I've been using Hodgdon CLAYS for MANY years now and it hasn't let me down. I use it in .38spl (in a .357mag gun), .40 S&W, and .45acp in both 1911 and S&W 625 JM revolver. Very clean, meters well, and accurate.

kenyerian
10-31-2012, 07:54 AM
I use Hodgdon clays for 38 special.

bruce drake
10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Unique and Red Dot are my go-to pistol powders as I can use them for rifle cast loads as well.

Bruce

Jim
10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
I dunno 'cause I wasn't there, but I got a sneakin' suspicion it ain't the Bullseye. Like so many others, I been usin' it for many, many years an' never had a problem with it.

2shot
10-31-2012, 08:37 AM
I've been using Bullseye for decades and have never had a problem. Hundreds of thousands of rounds if not millions. I've looked for an altenative many times but still keep coming back to Bullseye.

Maybe Dad, Uncle and Grandpa knew something? Newer isn't always better.

I've tied Titegroup and it wasn't bad. If you do a search you'll find that people complain about Titegroup too. Saying it's to easy to get a double charge. Well that double charge aint the fault of the powder so does that make the Titegroup a bad powder or is it the persons lack of attention to what they're doing? If you had a squib load with 5 grains of Bulleye powder I would have to think that isn't the fault of the powder. I shoot 3.5 grains fof Bullseye in my Clark Longslide .45acp for NRA Conventional Pistol, have done so for many many years and never had a bad round or stuck bullet.

Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that it may be something besides the powder. If it is the powder then I would have to ask how the powder was stored? Was this from the same lot/canister of powder that you had these dud rounds? It sounds like there might be something else besides the powder that's causing the problem.

2shot

historicfirearms
10-31-2012, 09:15 AM
I have started using Titegroup for 45 and 38 target loads. I too had a few squibs using Bullseye, never blamed it on the powder, but maybe. The reason I like Titegroup is because you don't get the big cloud of smoke like Bullseye gives. I like to practice speed when shooting my steel target and the Bullseye cloud just slows me down. Titegroup is usually as cheap to buy and use as Bullseye too.

jmort
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Die hard Unique user. Consistent and not position sensitive. Likes to be loaded to mid/high end for best results.

bobthenailer
10-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I too burnt many a 8lb keg of BE powder with excellent accuracy , when Tightgroup came out i tried it and switched over to Tightgroup at the time it was a few dollars a pound cheaper than BE , ive burnt a few 8lb s kegs of this powder also , here are my thoughts on TG.

the same accuracy & velocity as BE with the same or 0.5 higher powder charge.

Cleaner burning ! get 2 clean guns shoot 50 out of one with BE and 50 from another using TG , the TG gun will be alot cleaner on the inside & outside of the gun.

I shoot alot im looking to save money and TG does that with small powder charges .

Ive used this powder in numerus guns & calibers and see no reason to switch to another powder as its usually my go to powder for any handgun cartadge from 800 to 1,100 fps is desired from 32 acp to 454 Casull. I usually get my absulate best accuracy from the 9mm & 38 super with med fast to med burn rate powders. TG will work fine, just not quite as accurate .

The only way to possibly elimnate a double charge is to select a powder & charge weight that will over fill the case if done or possibley a powder ck die if you can install one on your press.

EMC45
10-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I too like BE, but my guns smell like a house fire when I am done shooting. I like TG as well. Cleaner and accurate.

x101airborne
10-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Unique and 700x. I have a twelve pound keg of 700x and 4 4 pound jugs of Unique. I dont use bullseye much anymore. Not because I dont like it, just because I can use unique at higher velocities in large caliber cases like the 44 mag and 454 casull.

Bullshop
10-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Second WST

rexherring
10-31-2012, 01:55 PM
I've been using BE, Unique and several others over the years too. I do like AA#2 and W231/HP38 better due to cleaner burning and never a squb load. My cases need very little cleaning and primer pockets seem cleaner also.

MT Gianni
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Red dot is much easier to see in a case than BE.

DrCaveman
10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Try ramshot competition

Most of my loads are very similar in weight to clays

AviatorTroy
10-31-2012, 09:22 PM
I shoot a lot of Unique too but find it fairly dirty as well. I hear if you crank up the load it burns better. I LOVE it in rifles tho. I am also trying to get out of the same old rut and try some newer powders.

AviatorTroy
10-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I've been using Bullseye for decades and have never had a problem. Hundreds of thousands of rounds if not millions. I've looked for an altenative many times but still keep coming back to Bullseye.

Maybe Dad, Uncle and Grandpa knew something? Newer isn't always better.

I've tied Titegroup and it wasn't bad. If you do a search you'll find that people complain about Titegroup too. Saying it's to easy to get a double charge. Well that double charge aint the fault of the powder so does that make the Titegroup a bad powder or is it the persons lack of attention to what they're doing? If you had a squib load with 5 grains of Bulleye powder I would have to think that isn't the fault of the powder. I shoot 3.5 grains fof Bullseye in my Clark Longslide .45acp for NRA Conventional Pistol, have done so for many many years and never had a bad round or stuck bullet.

Not trying to start an argument just pointing out that it may be something besides the powder. If it is the powder then I would have to ask how the powder was stored? Was this from the same lot/canister of powder that you had these dud rounds? It sounds like there might be something else besides the powder that's causing the problem.
tins,
2shot

Well I'll tell you right now my reloading isn't always under the most ideal conditions, often it's hot and humid when I reload and cold when I shoot, or vice versa. Even the first time it happened I suspected that humidity might have had something to do with it. So I'm sure it's not just the fault of the powder. But, that being said, I've never had it happen with any other powder than BE and probably only 10% of my shooting is with BE so I figure something about it is not compatible with my process for whatever reason. Not to start a whole 'nother argument but that is one of the reasons Ayoob recommends against handloads for self defense.

dragon813gt
10-31-2012, 10:27 PM
W231/HP-38 fits the bill. I use it for all pistol loads except magnums. I also use Universal for a few select loads. One of them being 9mm SD rounds. Can't go wrong with either powder IMO.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

tomme boy
10-31-2012, 10:58 PM
231 I hate how dirty BE is.

waksupi
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
700X works well for me.

FLINTNFIRE
11-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Been trying promo , in my ruger blackhawk , for 38 special 158 grain round nose , I like it and it is a good price , seems to be accurate and reliable , 3.5 grains , did not have my chronograph but all shot good and it will be what I use for awhile .

eagle-man
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM
I have been really happy with Titegroup for 45, and just recently 38 special. I have also used AA#2, both are clean. AA#2 will meter easier on a Lee measure, but if I don't go too fast, it is not a problem. If i am going too fast with Titegroup, I will spill powder from the measure and get a lite load, but that is operator error and not the powder. I plan to switch to a RCBS powder measure soon so that it is a closed system for the powder.

Do look into Titegroup. I have been happy with it.

2shot
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Well I'll tell you right now my reloading isn't always under the most ideal conditions, often it's hot and humid when I reload and cold when I shoot, or vice versa. Even the first time it happened I suspected that humidity might have had something to do with it. So I'm sure it's not just the fault of the powder. But, that being said, I've never had it happen with any other powder than BE and probably only 10% of my shooting is with BE so I figure something about it is not compatible with my process for whatever reason. Not to start a whole 'nother argument but that is one of the reasons Ayoob recommends against handloads for self defense.

Points well taken, humidity may have something to do with it. I've never had that problem but I'm sure others have.

I don't think that Bullseye powder is position sensitive but I know for a fact that Titegroup IS NOT position sensitive. Maybe with the humidity the powder is clumping up somewhat and positioned away from the primer on those rounds where you had squibs. I have never heard of this but it's just a thought and if it turns out to be ture then switching to Titegroup should solve your probems.

I have used Titegroup and it's a good powder as many here have stated. I just never had any issues with Bullseye so for me personally I never saw the reason to switch.

Also like other have said, WST and Clays are good too as are Winchester 231 and many others.

2shot

joec
11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
I've used Bullseye, AA#2, TiteGroup, HP-38, Unique and Universal in my 45 ACP all behind a 230 gr LRN bullet. Other than slight differences in dirt accuracy seems consistent with all. I would say the cleanest are AA#2, Universal however. But then I shoot black powder in my 45 Colt so clean is relative comparison for me with all smokeless powders cleaner.

2shot
11-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Here ya go Aviatortroy. From the Bullseye shooters, a list of powders that most use for 45acp shooting. Remember this is for target shooting so YMMV but does give you a good idea for other powders.

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1189-45acp-loads-a-compilation

2shot

AviatorTroy
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
^^ perfect!

skeet1
11-01-2012, 03:15 PM
AviatorTroy,
I find it very hard to get my mind around the fact that you had a squib load using BE especially 5.0 gr. of it. I suspect there was some other problem. Have you checked everything else that could have been wrong?

Ken

PS Paul
11-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Unique and Red Dot are my go-to pistol powders as I can use them for rifle cast loads as well.

Bruce

I'm sorta with Bruce on this. I do use BE, but I have been using Red Dot a LOT lately (flake powder a'la Unique) and still use unique as one of my toop "target-velocity" loads for .357 and .45 Colt as well as .38 spl and .45ACP in a revolver.

AviatorTroy
11-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Now that you mention the Red Dot, I've been thinking about trying that Promo (which is supposedly just red dot in a big can). Anyone try Promo?

FLINTNFIRE
11-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Yes , as I posted above , I used it for my 38 loads , seemed to load consistent in my square deal b , I went with 3.5 under a 158 grain , shot very good , only comes in a 8 lb. jug under $90.00 at powder inc. . Have never used red dot , but from all I have read it loads same by weight , but is more dense , When i have my time off work again I plan on putting it through the chronograph and trying some different loads

429421Cowboy
11-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I have used alot of Unique since i started reloading, not the least of reasons being that i am still a bit wary of a powder that doesn't fill the case at least close to half way. I also like that my manual shows data for .44 Mag case all the way down to 6.0 for a soft swaged 240 on up to 12.0 for a hard cast 240, so even if something goes terribly wrong with the loading of my 9.5 grs i have a pretty big margin for error. It does like a little pressure to burn clean, i upped from 9.0 to seal the cases and get a cleaner round.
I would consider myself lucky, two squibs with BE is way better than one double charge!
I only just have started using BE, and from the start, results are nice, but getting there is a pain, i am double-triple checking my cases for correct powder, and it is the only powder that has ever given me static issues in the measure.

fouronesix
11-09-2012, 07:53 PM
For both 45 ACP and 38 Spl, Trailboss works well for me. It's easy to ignite, it's not position sensitive and it meters very accurately thru rotary drum measures. As a bonus, it has a built in safety feature because it's hard (or impossible) to double charge.

USSR
11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Solo 1000.

Don

Bullet Caster
11-10-2012, 01:22 AM
I've been using Bullseye for all my pistol loads and have not had a squib at all. I just don't llike the nasty black residue left with Bullseye. Will be trying WIN231 or TG as soon as I burn up all my BE. BC

rbuck351
11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
Two of my favorites are W231 and Universal clays. Both meter very well.

rbuck351
11-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Two of my favorites are W231 and Universal clays. Both meter very well.

Forrest r
11-22-2012, 07:26 AM
A lot of great powders have been listed, of them ww452, bullseye & universal clays have been my favorites.

It's had to beat bullseye, dirty yes, but I'll scrub a little harder when I get these kind of results with:

Bullseye
MiHec H&G 68 clone
Springfield Range Officer

HiVelocity
11-22-2012, 05:17 PM
+1 on Titegroup! Loads great, burns clean, goes a long way! Also, you can load several rifle calibers too.

HV

PS Paul
11-22-2012, 06:00 PM
NICE group there, Forest! On a suggestion fro another member on this foru, I picked up a pound of HS-6. I've loaded up 200 .45 Colt and 150 .357 with it and hope to shoot it on Monday. The member who suggested it says it is significantly cleaner than other powders, but it is slower than bullseye. A little slower than Unique, by my estimation.

I will post results provided I can get out Monday. This past Monday was TORRENTIAL rain here in Puget Sound and I just couldn't bear going out to shoot in that weather this time.....
Paul

rsrocket1
11-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Went through 5 pounds of Bullseye last year. It was great. Just bought an 8# jug of Unique for a change. It needs about 10% more powder than Bullseye for the same velocities, but fills up the case better, produces a little less soot and it doesn't eat up the plastic in my LnL AP hopper the way Bullseye does. Shooting performance is almost exactly the same. If I had to choose between Bullseye or Unique, I'd say "give me either, I like both". You aren't married to one powder, have fun with 'em all!

P.S. For light recoil loads Red Dot and Clays are excellent with Clays being a little better at generating higher pressures for a given velocity and being better at complete burning even at under-pressure loads. I've also developed low recoil loads with Titewad (not Titegroup) which loads very close to Clays at an even lower price.

Crashbox
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
I will also +1 for TiteGroup. It burns very clean in my .357 and is economical. The only real drawback is it burns HOT in my opinion, so I don't use it with cast (although a GC would probably help a lot).

TMenezes
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Tail Boss is a joy to load and shoot super low recoiling range loads, which is why the CAS and SASS crowd. Try it at least once, fun loading a powder that looks like tiny donuts lol

But for high volume loading of bulk pistol ammo that is very clean and capable of very low velocity range loads all the way through high velocity defence loads, I have had great luck with 700X. Its cheap, clean shooting, no smoke, very accurate, wide velocity range, and works in a wide variety of calibers.

AviatorTroy
11-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh Trail Boss is on my list for sure! Just picked up a can of WST to try but I'm waiting for a day with less humidity to do my loading.

waco
11-30-2012, 03:50 PM
+1 for tite group

MakeMineA10mm
11-30-2012, 04:17 PM
I've burned a couple pounds of BE, and never liked it. Always seemed the best loads were really close to the edge of over-pressure and that line was very fine and easy to cross. I then used Red Dot, and that's the only powder I've had a squib with, but I did shoot up about 16 pounds of it. It's suprisingly flexible. Finally went away from it due to getting a progressive machine and not liking the flakes of red dot binding. Tried a few VV powders (cause they were new and cheap at the time) and they are still the cleanest powders I've ever used, but for the burn speeds I wanted, they didn't flow well either. 700x, green dot (a sleeper -great powder), AA2, and WST have all been tried.

The best fast pistol powder, though, was W231. (Same powder as HP38, and the non-cannister version is SMP231, if you can find it.). It's medium-size balls flow great through measures, and it's in-between the super-fast powders, like BE and the universally-flexible Unique, so its burn speed makes it fairly flexible (if you avoid high-pressure loads, say over 22,000 psi). So, for all my pistol loading, except magnum 357, 44, and 10mm, it does the job. That said, with cast boolits, it can be a little smokey, especially in hot weather and with softer lubes. It's also an old technology powder.

If I was going to replace it today, I'd look hard at Ramshot ZIP. It's a very modern powder, basically nearly identical to 231 (so just as flexible - but you do have to develope its own loads, can't use 231 data directly), but cleaner burning. When my last 50-lbs of 231 are gone, I'll get some ZIP.

PS Paul
11-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Following up with the post above, I did go out and use HS-6. But I also picked up a pound of Green Dot at the same time and I do believe I've found my newest "favorite powder" for .45 Colt!!! 250 gr. RNFP of pure lead and linotype for about 12 BHN, I used 6.8 gr. Green Dot and found that first recipe I ever put together with it was CLEAN, super-accurate, mild and beyond pleasant to shoot!! Although I am obviously going to play around with different loads, I may ahve just stumbled upon the very best load ever for me in a mid-velocity powder/boolit combination in .45 colt!!!

Paul

wcp4570
12-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I currently load BE and titegroup in 9mm and both work well. If I only had one powder it would be Unique. I load Unique in many pistol rounds as well as 30-06. Once I get a mold for my old Swede, I'll try it in that as well. Many say it is dirty, all I can say is shooting cast in any revolver is dirty so I didn't have a problem with a little powder fowling. There are many excellent powders offered today and with a little experimenting will give good results. To me the fun is in finding what combination works for gun and boolit.

wcp

hicap30
12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Ramshot Silhouette is very very close to 231 and very clean burning. WST is also a favorite.

GH1
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
I still like BE in my .38 and mild .357 rounds but if I wanted something different I'd try AA#2 or #5. Accurate powders are very clean.
GH1

AviatorTroy
12-15-2012, 02:16 AM
Went to the range yesterday. I had some remaining loads of Bullseye and some new loads to try with WST. The BSE loads were more accurate than the WST but I think it was the bullet, I ran out of my 230 round nose bullets and my gun doesn't seem to be as accurate with the TC shape for some reason. The experiment continues.

As long as we are allowed to.

pbcaster45
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
I know it's expensive but I like Vihtavuori N310.

Dave C.
12-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I am well into my 11th eight pound jug of Bullseye and I still have not found anything that shoots better in my 45 auto.
Some shoot very well but none have shot better for me. That said if I found a powder that shot better I would switch
to it NOW.

Dave C.

DRNurse1
12-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Dave:

Still shooting BE, too. Pop and my BiL are Distinguished Pistolshots and BiL earned the Silver Bowl with it. Now which end of the case am I suppose to put it in??? [KIDDING]

But these folks have given me a lot to think about here. I think I am off to buy a pound of [something] and try it out. My big constraint is going to be metering in the Dillon volumetric measure. If you folks have any suggestions regarding flake-, ball-, and cylinder-type powders and that metering system, I would appreciate your expertise.