PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale .45

Taylor
06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Anyone ever heard of American Arms Inc (.45 Colt)? Bought one today in a yard sale, on my way back from the VA. It came with a holster and belt,and 7 boxes of rounds,and...a spare cylinder chambered for .45ACP. I paid $300. for the lot,looks good,hope it shoots.

XBT
06-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I believe it was manufactured by Uberti and imported by American arms. Someone here will know more.

KCSO
06-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Dealer cost on the spare cyliner is $75.00 and list is 110 so that puts the gun mighty cheap. If I remember right dealer on the gun was right around 325 and then add 30 for shipping and 25% for mark up and another 6% for tax and you got a real deal. They are a good gun and whan the rough spots are smooted they are as good or better than a Colt.

Taylor
06-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on reloading components for this pistol?Do I need to slug the barrel or are they pretty much the same? Info tells me to cast at .451(Lyman). After a bad week,I think I had a good change of luck with this gun. Here's my story... mower broke-$30. for parts,dryer broke-$60. for parts,neighbor mower broke (he's deployed) fixed it too,other neighbor floor broke through,fixed it.(widow,husband passed).I've been busy.Got tick bites where guy's don't like them. So the wife calls me,as I'm leaving the VA,and tells me of a yard sale that has guns!Now that only tells me that I can buy,found one I liked.The .45,and yes we have the money.Happy Fathers Day!!

monadnock#5
06-09-2007, 09:01 AM
So the wife calls me,as I'm leaving the VA,and tells me of a yard sale that has guns!Now that only tells me that I can buy,found one I liked.The .45,and yes we have the money.Happy Fathers Day!!

I almost called my wife in to read your post. Caught myself just in time. Happy Fathers Day indeed!!!

9.3X62AL
06-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I briefly had a Uberti-made SAA in 45 Colt, a 4.75" variant made for an importer whose name escapes me. NICE REVOLVER. It shot well with .454" boolits, IIRC the barrel ran a loose .451" and the throats went .452"-.453"+. I meant to hone the throats to even them up, but a CAS guy at work wanted it, so it left before I had 300 rounds out of it. 250 grain SWC's at 850-900 FPS went right where the sights were looking at 25 yards.

Taylor
06-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks 9.3x62AL,I checked the cylinder and yes they vary a tad also.I think what I will do now is buy a Lee mould in 250/.452 and play with that some. I already have some Titegroup and WLP's,we'll see what happens.Thanks again.

Taylor
06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I finally got a chance to shoot,had some CCI to get rid of. Noticed that the cylinder hung up while in rotation (loaded) had to coax along.it doesn't do this with empty chambers.And some of the chambers are tight,they aslo appear to be quite rough.You can see the machine marks inside.I want to try different ammo before I pass judgement.And yes it does say A.Uberti under the barrel.

9.3X62AL
06-27-2007, 10:58 AM
The cylinder drag could be something as simple as cartridges not fully seated due to boolit shoulder/throat snugness--high primers maybe?

rroberts
06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I would suspect high primers also with the cylinder drag.

Rusty

Taylor
06-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Yes high primers would be something to look for.But this is factory ammo,CCI Blazer.And the primers look OK,it goes into battery good and there is no slop.I still have half a dozen round's of this to shoot,and some Hornaday to compare.Haven't hand loaded any yet. I still need to find a pistol smith to smooth out the cylinders though.

BluesBear
06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Regarding your cylinder drag...

1) Does it still do it when loaded with six fired cartridges?

2) Does it do it when loaded with unprimed sized cases?

3) Have you tried it by loading a single chamber at a time?

As for your rough chambers...

You can polish the chambers yourself.

Put some JB Bore Paste on a clean patch, wrap it around a .44 cal brass brush.
Chuck it in a variable speed drill and give it a good polish.
Be patient, it'll take quite a while.