PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 94 AE 45 Colt handloads

webradbury
10-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone loads for a 45LC '94. Of all my guns, this one is my absolute favorite to shoot. I know the usual load is a 250-255 gn however I have a buttload of 228 gn lrn laying around. I loaded a couple with 8 gn of unique and they were dead on at 75 yds and didn't feel too hot. I have read a good all around load for a 45 ruger (pistol) is 8gn of unique behind a 255. This rifle ought to handle my load safely shouldnt it? My old lyman book gave 8 gn as a start load with a 235 gn lrn. Let me have it!

gon2shoot
10-30-2012, 07:41 PM
That gun will handle "Ruger only" loads. enjoy

GARCIA
10-30-2012, 07:56 PM
That gun will handle "Ruger only" loads. enjoy

X2 on the above.

Those full house "Ruger Only" loads will actually bring you into a total new realm of performance. You can actually enter into the realm of low end Trapdoor Springfield 45-70 loads and ballistics.

I run the "Ruger Only" loads through a pair of 94 Marlins and have not had any problems.

Tom

webradbury
10-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Great! Thanks for the advice!

BCRider
10-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Are you after some shoulder thumping fun or are you after a good accurate round?

Each weight of bullet is going to perform it's best in any given rifling twist if it's sent down the bore at a specific speed. The key is to find that speed if your goal is accuracy. And allied with this is the nature of the acceleration provided by the burn charactaristics of the powder used. So some experimenting with different powders to find one which speeds up the bullet in an optimum manner can further reduce the size of the groups produced by the rifle and shooter.