PDA

View Full Version : size then lube or lube then size?

fanner 50
06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I am new to casting my own and have ordered Lee equipment as it is all I can afford. I have read posts that say the LLA is OK but some make referance to lubing then sizing and others make referance to sizing then lubeing. Please help a confused beginer.:confused:

UweJ
06-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Hello Fanner
With LLA they say you should lube the boolits before you size them because it makes the operation of lubing smoother and it doesn´t put much strain on the sizing die.
After sizing you should lube again to put the final coat of lube on the boolit. That is with tumble lube style boolits .
I found out that warm water with a good portion fo liquid soap will do the same thing if you do it for sizing,after that you have to let them dry and put the final coat of LLA on.
Hope I could be of help.
Uwe

BABore
06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Depends on the bullet, as cast size, and velocity you plan on shooting at. You may drop bullets that don't need to be sized, for your gun. In that case, cast, lube, and shoot. If you need to size them, then it could be lube first, or after. You will still need some sort of lube on them to be able to run them through the sizer without smearing some. Might just as well give them a coat of LLA first. For higher velocity, you may want to apply more than one coat, so do them before and after. Ther are no hard, fast rules. The gun will tell what it will like best. Most thin their LLA with mineral spirits, about 50/50, for easier application. Slug your bore and verify your size-to diameter if you haven't done so already.

**oneshot**
06-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I use a Q-tip to apply a light coat of olive oil to every 20th boolit for sizing. I pre lube them so I don't have to stop in the middle of things. I pan lube after sizing.

lar45
06-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Fanner, glad you found your way here. It's a great place for all maters pertaining to cast bullets.
A set of dial calipers will help you greatly with all of your cast bullet and loading needs. You should check the size of your cast bullets to see if they need sizeing. For revolvers most people want the bullet to be just over the bore diameter. Rifles vary, but many will say to fit the bullet to the throat. You do have to make sure that there is room for the neck to expand to let the bullet go in a rifle.

For the Lyman, RCBS and Star lube/sizers, the bullets are lubed and sized all at the same time. With the Lee push through sizer, the bullet will probably need a little lube to make it through the size die. Try one without any lube and another with, you'll notice the difference.

With the Lee liquid Alox(LLA) you can lube a bunch of bullets all at once by putting them in a plastic dish with some LLA and swishing it all around, then stand the bullets up on a piece of wax paper to dry. This can make a mess out of the noses, so an alternative way is to pour some LLA in a small cup, lid or can... then just dip the base in and set on it's base to dry.
Some guys will lube with LLA, then push the bullet through the size die and then lube again. Others suggest to lube, size and then load without the second lubeing. You'll probably have to try it both ways and see what works for your gun.

There is also pan lubeing. Get a regular lube like 50-50 or other, melt it, stand your bullets up in an old pie tin and pour the lube in till it just covers the lube groove or up to the crimp groove. Let it all cool down and then pull, cut or push the bullets out. Some guys use a fired case with the base cut off to push down over the bullet to cut it out of the lube block. If you can peel the whole lube block out of the pan, then you can try pushing the bullets out the bottom. Just check and see if it leaves enough lube in the lube grooves. You might have to put the pie tin in the freezer for awhile to get it to let go of the pie pan. Then let it warm back up to room temp before pushing the bullets out.
If the bullets need sizeing, then you can run them through the Lee push through sizer after getting out of the lube cake/block. They shouldn't need lubed again.

You can also just smear the lube on the base of a bullet with a finger, then size if needed. If the lube is soft enough.

If you'd like to try a couple of different lubes, just PM your address to me and I'll drop some samples in the mail. Then you can see what works for you before you buy abunch of stuff that won't get used.

Here's a link to my website and lubes.
www.LsStuff.com/lube
I also have Liquid Xlox(Alox) in 8 and 32oz bottles, but not in samples.

Glenn.

tomf52
06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Fanner - If you have to size using the Lee sizing dies, lube your bullets with a light spray of Hornady's One Shot case lube. They will then go through the sizing die with ease and then you can tumble lube them with the LLA.