PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional bump firing M1A off the bench

x101airborne
10-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Guys, I just cant make it stop. Shooting prone or off a bench, I am double tapping with every pull of the trigger. This would be acceptable, except the second round is wild and I cant tell what is my group and what is not. I am currently single loading the weapon, but that is getting on my nerves. The weapon has done this ever since it was new and it is clean and I have checked all the adjustments.
Any help?

imashooter2
10-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Pull it into your shoulder and the doubles should stop.

x101airborne
10-30-2012, 09:48 AM
This is the synthetic stocked model with that mooshy recoil pad on it. I have tried pulling it in tight, and even using a sling to stop it. We are a "no-go" at this station.

oneokie
10-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Rethink your trigger hand grip on the gun.

Would a trigger overtravel stop help?

imashooter2
10-30-2012, 09:59 AM
The mechanism of bump firing is very cut and dried. The rifle is moving forward against your trigger finger. Disrupt that mechanism. If the recoil pad is the problem, change it.

JRD
10-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Does the trigger pass a bench function test? With an unloaded rifle, dry fire, hold the trigger to the rear, rack the bolt, release the trigger (you should hear it transfer to the sear from the disconnector), pull trigger and hammer should fall.

Are you the only shooter who has a problem with the gun, or does it malfunction regardless of shooter?

How about next time you live fire, pulling the trigger firmly and focus on holding back during recoil? That will help prevent letting your finger flutter and pulling it a second time under recoil, however it may not help your groups.

I've seen bump firing and some trigger styles are more sensitive to it, and some shooters techniques are more prone to allow it. You need to rule out a mechanical problem since you say the gun has always done it. Then work on your shooting style.

tomme boy
10-30-2012, 01:54 PM
You need a heavier trigger and improve your hold on the rifle. A light trigger and slowly squeezing the trigger will double most firearms. Try a more deliberate "pull" of the trigger.

leftiye
10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
More trigger engagement? More pull tension?

MtGun44
10-30-2012, 10:02 PM
The Garand/M14 design has the hammer caught by the disconnector, and then as you
release the trigger, it 'hands off' the hammer to the sear. If the parts are a bit out of
spec, it will fire again on this 'hand off'. I have repaired this particular issue with just a
bit of filing on the correct location to change the timing of the hand off - this is the intended
method of adjusting this.

So - is it bumping or during the release of the trigger, as you start to slack off of the
trigger? This 'two shot' deal is very likely a hand-off failure. Test it by holding hard back
on the trigger very conciously when you fire, you should not get the second shot until
you release the pull a bit.

If it is the hand off failing, I can fix it pretty easily, or if you are handy, I can help walk
you through it. If you want, send me the trigger group and I'll fix it.

Bill