PDA

View Full Version : Storm

dragonrider
10-30-2012, 06:51 AM
We did not get much in the way of rain or wind, a few gusts maybe up to 50-60 mph. But power went out about 1 PM yesterday aftenoon and as of now it is still out. I have a generator and two months ago it ran perfectly, yesterday it died. I am at work right now, hope power comes back by the time i get off. Will be looking for a new generator.

DRNurse1
10-30-2012, 07:49 AM
Dragon Rider:

Eastern PA Just wind (52 knot gust on my gauge) and rain (0.70 inches) so far. Generator kicked in when the power went out but did not turn off when the power returned (only an hour without PPL power). My fix is a switch. I hope you are not gouged too much on your fix. My cable is out but wireless is up: the storm center is about 85 miles SSW of me.

Relatives on Long Island are without power and a generator but wireless is working for them. water is up in the Bays and the LI sound according to them but they are not flooded. Looks like another high tide this morning then they should be okay.

Stay safe up there.

27judge
10-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I live on the upper chesapeake bay on the water.As of this am im looking at 4 inches of water in my 28X28 rec. room ( kind of a split level type house).
looks like the tide is on the way out, now the cleanup starts,no complaint it could have been much worse tks KEN

Wayne Smith
10-30-2012, 08:57 AM
We are in a heavily treed subdivision in Hampton Roads. Four oaks and a maple on my property, overshadowed by three more oaks and two large pine trees on neighbors properties. Had one widowmaker about wrist thickness come down in the back yard and break, everything else appears to be thumb sized or smaller. Lots of leaves, but nothing like past storms.

Kids in Poquoson had water in their back yard and flooding in the street but nothing on the driveway. At high tide the water level there was within one foot of the record. Looks as if they will do alright.

Maven
10-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Not nearly as much rain and wind as predicted in Kingston, NY. No damage to my property as far as I can tell. As for the rest of the area and county, I have no idea as the local news is lagging. Unfortunately, NYC and the surrounding area, e.g. Long Island, the Jersey Shore* weren't so lucky.

*My sister who lives along the Navesink River near Red Bank, NJ telephoned @ 10:35PM last night to say she had almost 2' of water in her house. Good thing she has flood insurance! Found out later today, it doesn't cover contents.

LAH
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
'bout 2500 feet elevation in southern West Virginia.

Monday before dark.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Places/101%20Reservoir%20Road/DSC03764.jpg

Tuesday, 8AM.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Places/101%20Reservoir%20Road/DSC03768.jpg

hiram
10-30-2012, 10:53 AM
lost power last night 845

got power back at 600 am

lost a piece of siding that covered fascia board

some shingles were lifted up

tree in backyard tilted from wind---it will be cut down

27judge
10-30-2012, 11:05 AM
My front yard in the foreground stacked up are eel pots we brought in before storm so we would not lose them this is bad but ive seen it much worse. tks ken

LAH
10-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Did it get in your home Judge?

27judge
10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes it did we have a kind of split level and the rec room 28X28 ft had 4-5 inches . A real mess but it could have been much worse.The last big one put 5 feet in the same room and 1 foot in the house. Oh well time to get back to the shop vac and water pick up detail.We are still watching the tide as it is blowing south southwest and next hight tide is 8pm hopefully it wont bring it back in that strong tks for your time KEN

27judge
10-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey creeker where are you located in WV ? I used to have a place in roahne county and another in preston county tks ken

LAH
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
South of those a little in Raleigh County.

44man
10-30-2012, 02:52 PM
I am in Harpers Ferry, WV, Bakerton actually. I picked up dead branches for 3 hours and then some more later. Had a dead tree break over the chicken coop but the roof it OK. I cut the trees down today and cleaned the roof.
My bucket had near 12" of water in it and it is still raining. There are ponds in the yard. I suppose there is a river on my range.
House is OK, basement is dry.
I feel for all of you with flooding.

Freightman
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Hope you all get everything back to normal, we have had no rain for two months this is the second driest year in history, last year was the driest. Guess it is better than too much. Will keep you all in my prayers.

dragonrider
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Got power back about noon today.
27 judge, that can't be a lot of fun,
Creeker is that a lot of snow for this time of year at your elevation??

LAH
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
The courthouse in Beckley is 2,421'. My house is closer to 2500'. While snow in October isn't unheard of it's normally only a few inches. We did have a great storm October 19, 1961, the snow really piled up then. Looks like close to another foot tonight.

shooter93
10-30-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm smack in the middle of Pa. and live in a "wind tunnel" area subject to weird winds and micro bursts. Rattled a couple pieces of siding loose but not off and managed to sneak a bit of water through a ridge vent into the shop but no real damage. No doubt in my mind we hit over 70 mph from past experience ( 50 lb rocker hurled off 24 feet of deck and 30 feet into the yard) as it also started blowing water around the magnetic seals on the east door, a wood wedge stopped that.
Power blipped on and off a bit and I'll give Gov. Corbett and the power companies a cudos for shifting power around quickly as they lost part of the grid. I've hooked up generators and panels for lots of my customers but never got around to doing one for myself....probably should do it huh?...lol. All in all for us no real problems but other areas were badly hit for sure. 39 dead from a storm this size is 39 to many but amazing when it could have easily been 100's. For those who took a real beating ...a speedy recovery.

**oneshot**
10-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Power went out at 6pm last night, probably not getting it back til thur-fri. Tree,pole,transformer blocking in the culdesac. Been driving to blockade, hauling gas cans to the other side, borrow Mom n law's car to go to gas station along with a few neighbors. It's car pooling to the extreme.
Worse is coming back with, loaded down and up hill through the woods. At least it's not up hill both ways. lol

Amazing the cable and phone lines are still in tack with power down in two spots. Everyone on the street has been ferrying water, even generators back and forth. It's a great place I live in. Great people.

Kids are even playing board games willingly. ha ha.

Good luck and best to everyone else in the storm.

10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Due north of Baltimore got heavy winds, lost a few trees, rain was steady but not horrific. My hay fields went under a couple of feet of water. Sheep had to be herded back into the back of the barn. Barnyard flooded. Lost power for several hours. All in all, not a big deal for me. Yet.

starmac
10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Does the gas station have power, or they running on gen power.
It amazes me that anybody would be needing gas (other than emergency crews) within a day or two of a major storm, as much warning as we have these days.

Gliden07
10-31-2012, 12:24 AM
We did ok here in Western MA no real damage in my area, some decent wind (for this area) 40-50MPH bursts but all in all nothing like other sections on the East coast! A few power outages, my parents lost power for a few hours. Thankful we dodged another Bullet!

captaint
10-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, I work in the local school system and we have been closed all week. 60% of the residents in our township don't have electric yet and one of the schools (of 10) has no power. Don't even know if we'll be open tomorrow. Trees down all over the place. enjoy Mike

**oneshot**
10-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Update: Road is open, power still down. At least we can go out and about. Most everywhere has power just isolated areas are still out.

Schools closed again tomorrow so the kids will be home again without all the comforts. LOL

dragonrider
10-31-2012, 07:53 PM
There are still about 500 residents in town without power. A fellow I work with, lives about 25 miles from me, says he won't have power at his place till friday, maybe.

375supermag
10-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Checking in from southcentral Pennsylvania...

We got around 6" of rain and some pretty nasty wind with heavy gusts, estimated max of 65mph.
No damage to the house, we didn't lose power, internet or satellite.
No trees down in this storm on my property.

Lots of local roads flooded and a lot of localized power outages.

We got off lucky considering what I saw on TV and the'web.

**oneshot**
11-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Finally got power back on yesterday at 6:30pm. I woke myself up this early thinking the generator quit. It was too darn quiet after a week of rr r r r r r r rr r r r r r rrr r r r r r r from the generator.

Kids got a few life lessons this week. How to was dishes by hand -- life before microwaves and toaster ovens -- radio for news -- it was good for them.
My older stepson was so happy that the power was back on, I figured it was so he could watch tv, nope he just wanted to make his oatmeal without a production.

LAH
11-05-2012, 08:42 AM
he just wanted to make his oatmeal without a production.

hee hee