PDA

View Full Version : Removing Ithaca M37 Magazine Tube

bowfin
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Has anybody had any success with this task?

So far, the strap wrenches I have are not up to the job, since they were made for objects of larger diameter.

Any experiences or input are greatly appreciated...

scb
10-29-2012, 06:39 PM
We use to remove them all the time when we re-blued them. Did so in order to keep bluing salts from getting trapped and leaching out after words. What I used were some left over pcs. of walnut. I clamped them together and bored a hole thru the diameter of the outside of the tube. Then opened the halves up and sanded some off the mating faces (on the 10" disk sander) so it would tighten down on the tube when you put the whole works in the vice.* But the real trick is that you MUST turn a metal plug so that it's a snug slip fit to the inside of the tube. You position the plug in the tube so that it is underneath you vice jaws. This way you can clamp the tube as tight as you can clamp your vice and not crush the tube.

* of course you could bore the hole in a solid block then split it on the band saw.

bowfin
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Your method sounds like the plan to follow, scb.

Thanks

10-x
11-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Try 3/8" or 1/2" drive deep well sockets to fill the tube where you clamp or wrap the strap wrench. Saves time and lathe work.