PDA

View Full Version : Powder check dies / Dillon Buzzer Check Die

milprileb
10-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I have the RCBS powder check die (rod goes up and you can see if charge is in case, or is high or low in case.)

I have the Dillon 650 with the buzzer check type die : works just fine.

I had (until the son borrowed it 6 yrs ago and never gave it back) the Dillon 550
and had a light shining on bullet seating station and manually checked powder levels in cases.

For Rifle: I weight each charge so its not a progressive event. For Pistol, its the opposite, I use the system on the press.

What works : On my Lee Turret: I use the RCBS powder check die and my eye ball .

On my Dillon 650: I trust the buzzer , have that die set correctly and verify with my eye ball.

I have made sure a light source (Inlinefabrications) is on my presses and I can see clearly the powder charge in pistol brass. I trust myself more t han any die or buzzer.

Now you say: that slows down production. I cannot handle speed with the resulting risk. I like slower speed, and security of knowing I checked powder levels.

I really did not need the 650, I was just fine with the 550. However, at 1000 rds per hour on 650 Dillon, I don't like the control on powder charges as the machine is moving hard and fast and the visibility for me to see into the case every time is not optimum. I slowed down: I load 500 rds per hour, at a comfortable speed and can see powder levels clearly and accurately.

You want speed and volume: you get lots of drama with it.

:violin:

Jack Stanley
10-29-2012, 09:11 AM
I agree with you volume has a lot of thing going on . Though my eighties vintage five-fifty doesn't have all the linkage and buzzers a new one has , I don't need or want them . I don't know what a press like this is capable of but I'm right happy loading a steady three-fifty and hour or so .

Good thing about volume loading though ..... it gives us more time to shoot :Fire:

Jack

Roundnoser
10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
I have two Super 1050's, a Square Deal, and a Star Universal press for my pistol calibers. The 1050's have the powder check alarms, but the SD and Star do not. Of the two that do not, the Star is almost impossible to see if powder has been despensed with tall casings (38 Spec).

I agree with you....Even though these machines are designed to produce ammo quickly, I opt to go slow(er). As they say, "slow and steady wins the race". It also allows me to feel how things are going. I have time to stop/respond when something gets stuck or binds.

r1kk1
10-29-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't really speed load on my 550. I do check charges every 10th round doing pistol with Dillon's measure. With the Quick measure I will extend that more or less depending on what I'm loading. Some subcalibers will powder bridge somewhat so it's best not to get in a hurry. I just enjoy every pull of the handle is a loaded round. Sometimes I'm using my single stage in conjunction with the 550. Station 1 on the 550 gets an 'M' die or whatever. I'm not in a hurry. Just having a good time without the hours spent loading a thousand thru a single stage. It's not a bad way to do something, just I like to finish and go shoot.

Take care

r1kk1

Moonman
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
RCBS makes a LOCK-OUT DIE also for locking up the press if a mistake is detected.

sparky45
10-29-2012, 10:23 AM
I have 3 of the RCBS Lock-Out Dies, wouldn't be without one. I also have the Dillon buzzer and the RCBS Powder Check Die, all work well and do their job if set properly. However, I prefer the Lock-Out Die because if a problem is detected, the press simply shuts down until the problem is corrected. I still look in EVERY CASE though out of habit.

milprileb
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
I should have said this: 500 rds per hour means I load two hours and have a weeks shooting 45acp.
1000 rds per hour: well, I get done an hour sooner, not sure I like the comfort zone of not eye balling each case of powder as well as I like and I am done an hour sooner with doubt.

I can spare the hour per week to be sure. If my life were so paced I could not afford that hour, I ought to not be reloading... my mind is not in the game and I am just rushing into a double charge at mach speed !!!!

Know your limitations. Its Big Boy Rules here on reloading.

The 650 is way overkill for me. Change a caliber...its a major drill to do the conversion of parts. Get a primer jam: oh boy , that is a enema !! 550 is simple and a better option . I don't know the Hornady LNL progressive , being cheaper , is any better than a 650 but you got less money spent for conversion units.