PDA

View Full Version : 22 lube

Kirk Miller
10-28-2012, 11:06 PM
After finding the right alloy for my 222 mag., I'd like to pick the brains of the lube experts. In 80-100 temperatures, I've had good results with Lars 2500.

About 70-75 degrees the 2500 groups start opening up from 1" to 4 -5". Speed green seems to be to slick with lots of purge fliers. C red or anything with carnuba in it is not going to work in any type of weather.

The Felix lube that I bought from a fellow board member is to slick as delivered. so what I did was mix it Three parts bees wax to four parts felix. I tested it yesterday for the first time at 40-45 degrees. The results were inconclusive to say the least. For sure my fault as I was using a/c boolits only a week old.

So what I am getting at is if any one can recommend a lube for 22 center fire that would work from say from 30- 100 or maybe even two lubes for the different extremes.

The extreme lube thread has been fascinating and I have followed it day by day and post by post. I sincerely wish that I had something to contribute but I'm still a relative newb to this cast boolit sport.

Living in North central UT we get any where from -0- 103 temps. Therefore my quest for a lube with the widest range of usefulness. I realize that Gear and 5r5 have not quite reached their goal of 0-100 degrees but there has to be something with a broader range than 30 degrees.

Thanks for every ones time and effort.
Kirk

btroj
10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Carnuba Red should work fine at temps above 50 degrees, above 60 for certain.
The Felix lube you have would be good at most temps. If it was a bit soft I would have added aout 10 percent more beeswax, you added an awful lot of wax. That may make it fine in heat but not so good in cold.

Go back thru the extreme thread. Lots of good info on ways to manipulat a formula to adjust for temp changes. Add a small amount of carnuba or ore wax for heat, add some Vaseline for cold.

The 2500 should be fine at 75 degrees. I don't expect many lube issues from heat until it gets over 90, cold isn't a problem til under 50.

I bet Felix lube made in a summer and winter formula would work well.

357maximum
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
When I was going at full j-word speeds in the 223H&R with several gas check designs I actually had best luck with a generous coating of LLA and then dusting them lightly with motor mica. I tried many a wax based lube and the lla+mm beat them all. As a lube making lunatic this was not only surprising but a bit hard to swallow...but you have to use what professor gun wants.

tonyjones
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
357maximum,

Have you tried 45/45/10 with the .22 CF's? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony

357maximum
10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
357maximum,

Have you tried 45/45/10 with the .22 CF's? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tony

I did not. The LLA/Mica worked very well and I looked no further.

runfiverun
10-29-2012, 09:31 PM
kirk.
take a look at bens red.
a little more b-wax above 80-85.
and a little atf below 30-35.

my simple green needs more temp testing for the broad range applications.
and there might [probably will be] be a change coming to broaded it's temperature application.

1Shirt
10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Am just about convinced that there is no such thing as an "all around lube" for all temps. There are some things, that just seem to require the lube to be adjusted for the temps that the ctg will be shot with. That said, have never tried LLA on 22 cast as recommended by 357Max.

Soooo-next batch that I cast, will give it a try on a few different 22 cal blts. I have had excellent luck at temps above 60 in 223/Hornet/222/22-250 with Lars Can Red! Cant say the same below 60 or so degrees. Have never shot it above 90 however.
1Shirt!:coffee:

runfiverun
10-29-2012, 10:15 PM
it takes 105 to go soft and flow through a lubesizer.....

HARRYMPOPE
10-29-2012, 10:40 PM
RCBS Green "pistol" has been the best 22 lube i have ever used.My temp range is similar to yours.i dont know if its still the same as the older stuff though as a new stick i opened at a show smelled like standard 50-50 formula.The stuff i have is not so hard to need to heat it unless its below 40 or 50 in my shop.

Kirk Miller
10-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Gentlemen Thanks for all the hints, tips and thoughts. I'm gonna give 5r5's simple green a try. With all of his knowledge and time put into this recipe, it might be the ticket.

As far as c-red goes, It is great for some people and rifles, just not mine. Ten shots to start grouping and then with a five minute cooling down it's start all over.
Kirk

leftiye
10-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Kirk, like R5R said, (somewhere if not here) a little tranny fliud (check ultimate lube thread to see what kind he's using) may solve CRed's cold barrel issues - at least at 60 and above with cool barrel. I mix CRed 9 to 1 with bullplate lube. Doesn't need heat to apply with lubersizer.

runfiverun
10-30-2012, 11:50 AM
the carnuba red is better served by a little vaseline.
the issue is the cold weather changes the fats in the carnuba.
in temps over 50 you can combat the cold bbl starts from it with a little atf but eh.
in the larger bores it's workable the smaller bores like something different alltogether.