PDA

View Full Version : New blackhawk

bronte454
10-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Ok , I'm looking for some information . I've found a Ruger I would like to buy , it's on a web site called Florida guntrader . The gun is being sold by an individual. How do I make a deal and how do I make sure my investment is secure . I can't afford to get taken advantage of . I can't find any info on the site on how to make the transaction. Anybody ever deall with this or this outfit. Thanks in advance for any and all help .

runfiverun
10-28-2012, 11:37 PM
i'd contact the seller and ask about a grace period for inspecting the firearm.
he will most likely wanna ship to your ffl.
i don't think i would buy a gun i couldn't look at carefully.
unless i was ordering a new one i could ship back to the factory to have repaired.

Mooseman
10-28-2012, 11:40 PM
That site is for Florida Residents to meet face to face and sell firearms. You would have to contact the seller and see if he would ship it to an FFL from his FFL since it is a handgun.
I would suggest if he will do an out of state deal, you send the money to the FFL that he uses with instructions to pay him when the firearm comes in to be shipped.
Otherwise , it is just a trust deal if you send the Money to the seller and wait for him to take it to his FFL to ship.

Rich

.45Cole
10-29-2012, 02:13 AM
You would be best to buy from a trusted source. Face to face at a dealer where you can take some measurements is the best. Over the internet, gunbroker.com is the best and only way I would buy sight unseen. I have bought on gunbroker without any unresolved problems

EOD3
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken, 18 USC makes it illegal to transfer from one state to another without going through an FFL.

IMO: any money you might save on the sale price will be eaten by the shipping and FFL fees...

scattershot
10-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Good point.....

opos
10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I've bought several handguns from private parties in other states...California has some really nut laws about importing handguns but single action revolvers are pretty much exempt so follow many other state requirements...but your "mileage may vary"...In my case I've only bought from private parties...no FFL sales. My FFL here will receive from a private party with a copy of a valid driver's license and a note stating it is a private party to private party transfer. That's the easy part. I've had a deal where I trusted the seller and sent a money order and he shipped and I simply approved the gun when the ffl got it and I examined it..one other case I sent a deposit of 1/2, the gun was shipped....I looked it over, approved it and sent the other 1/2 in a money order ... worked fine. Most of the time the buyer has one or two days after it arrives to approve it or decline it...always been able to approve it so no hassles.

The really big issue is cost of shipping. A private party can not ship a handgun via postal service...An FFL can but he's going to charge for that service..so the gun has to go via UPS or Fed EX and their rules state it has to go next day air......that's really expensive...it can run $75 to $100 just to get it shipped direct to an FFL...then the receiving FFL may have receiving fees so it can really get high dollar in the end. The last gun I bought was a $400 purchase...the seller had advertised it "shipped" and when he checked it was $96 UPS fee to ship....on my end the FFL charges $40 to receive and do the paperwork..so suddenly the $400 gun became a $304 gun to the seller (his net) and my net cost was the $400 plus $40. Really got to check on all the costs on both ends. I gave the seller the chance to not ship because of the high cost and just call the deal off but he insisted it was ok and went through with the deal even with the $96 surprise (he had figured it might be a maximum of $25 to send.

That's my story of a recent deal.

EOD3
10-30-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not a lawyer or a BATFE employee but I'd recommend a good close look at 18 USC # 922 "Unlawful acts"

My last words on the subject: Never unknowingly break a law.

opos
10-30-2012, 01:04 AM
EDO3--Don' t know if your post is directed at my post but it follows it so I think it might...only thing I can think is concerning private party shipment to a FFL...perfectly legal in California as long as the receiving FFL will accept from a private party...it isn't necessary for the seller to ship through an FFL or use an FFL as an agent just for the shipping....Don' t know if this is what you might have been referring to about "unknowingly breaking the law" but I researched that with DOJ long before I ever brought a gun into California...and again I'm only referring to single actions as I've never brought anything else into California.

Mooseman
10-30-2012, 01:49 AM
Concerning HANDGUNS, an FFL must be used by the seller IF shipping By The USPS to an FFL in the buyers state..
Those are USPS regs
An INDIVIDUAL may ship a Handgun by UPS or FEDEX or other common carrier to an FFL in the buyers state IF the receiving FFL accepts from Individuals.

These are BATFE regs /USPS regs.

Rich

bigboredad
10-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Being from Texas you can't find what you are after in your home state? I know that travel can also bring the price of your purchase up but for me it has always been part of the adventure of finding the gun you want. For example I'm making a 4 hour round trip this coming saturday to do a trade because he has exactly what I want. But that is my experience and jmho. Good luck to you on your quest

opos
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Concerning HANDGUNS, an FFL must be used by the seller IF shipping By The USPS to an FFL in the buyers state..
Those are USPS regs
An INDIVIDUAL may ship a Handgun by UPS or FEDEX or other common carrier to an FFL in the buyers state IF the receiving FFL accepts from Individuals.

These are BATFE regs /USPS regs.

Rich

Yep...what I said in my earlier post...private party can not ship via USPS..and if someone tries to do that and gets caught they take the gun and come visit both the sender and receiver...and they keep the gun....

bronte454
10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Thank you gentlemen , for all the advise and info. I've found another one a few hrs from me and its new in the box so I will paying a little more but if I ever decide to part with it maybe that will count for a few dollars . Its a buckey special 32-20 32 mag . Again thank you

bigboredad
10-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Thank you gentlemen , for all the advise and info. I've found another one a few hrs from me and its new in the box so I will paying a little more but if I ever decide to part with it maybe that will count for a few dollars . Its a buckey special 32-20 32 mag . Again thank you

that is a very cool gun and cool calibers. You should be very happy I am touched with a little green envy congrats. Don't forget the pics and might I suggest the 31-105c from accuratemold.com that should be just the ticket for them Texas vermin[smilie=s:

opos
10-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Super smart deal....you look...you approve...you do the necessary paperwork if any...money and gun change hands and no surprises or crazy legal mumbo jumbo...smart, smart, smart! I've bought out of state only when what I bought was super special to me...no other way. Enjoy!!