PDA

View Full Version : Star luber Sizer [What have I missed]

Ray Z
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I haven't used my luber sizer in a long time. I drug it out this evening and I've lost some parts. I need the three parts that are needed to change the dies. Is this something I'm going to have to go to Magma for?

I also notice that instead of specific top punches for the different bullet shapes within a caliber, bullets are now put through the size die base up. Are the top punches caliber specific? Or is it a one size fits all thing?

What else have I missed in the time I was using only jacketed bullets?

StratsMan
10-28-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't usually use the Magma puller.... I just use a round stick small enough to fit in the sizer to push the sizing die up from the bottom. If the lube is too cold, I warm it up a bit to get it to slide.... easier than using the tool...

And there are different diameter punches available from Magma, though if you only had a 30 cal punch and pushed on the base, you could pro'lly get by with just that one... Only be a problem if you wanted to put a gas check on them.

sergeant69
10-29-2012, 10:31 AM
as far as removing a die, just heat the housing around the die w/a hair blower for 2-3 minutes then using a wooden dowel and a mallett tap it out from bottom to top. same w/ installing a new die., except top to bottom. i have the removal tool, have done it both ways, but the heat/dowel method is lots faster and easier.
there are rubber 0 rings top and bottom in the die housing, and probably dried up hard lube in there too. removing/installing a die can be a major chore unless the rubber and old lube is heated first. that way it (die) just slides out. amazing the difference it will make.

MT Chambers
10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
On my orig. "Tall boy" Star, you absolutely have to use the Star extractor to remove dies, a newer Star is diff. and you can push it out with heat added.(and yes, I did undo the set screw).

runfiverun
10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
those "0"-rings are available at the ace hardware store.
i bought 10 of them the first time i wrecked one haven't needed one since.
same thing for the boolit feeder return springs and the luube pump spring,i bought one there and cut off a turn.
i liked it so much i replaced the ones on my other two. cost something like 1.79 a spring and no shipping.
as far as the punches go i use a few different ones.
one for 44-45 one for 32-35.
i have a separate 22 and 7mm,one for 379 and one for 459.
you can get them made to any size for about 12 bucks from lathesmith here,plus lock rings [with a set screw]
and die sizes made to order from him also.