PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Cav 155 gr SWC .452. ????

Russ in WY
10-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Just acquired [used] mold & after cutting sprue, can't open the mold. I have to rap 8-to-10 times on the mold handle pivot bolt to get it to open . I have other 6 cav molds & have never had this problem . What do I need to do to make this go away ???? Tks 4-Lookin , Russ.

Wally
10-28-2012, 08:31 PM
You will break the handle...best to preheat it on an electric burner...if the sprue is that hard best that you heat with a propane torch so you don't strain the handle--it will not take such punishment for very long

Russ in WY
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Mold is Preheated , sprue cuts easily . Only rap with a wooden stick. I cast over 500 boolits with it yesterday. Is Leementing an oition here ??? Russ.

BCall
10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Polishing the cavities is always an option. If it is one of the original Lee molds of their design, it is possible they will always stick a bit just because of that deep square lube groove. I have one, and while it does well, it still sticks at times.

If it is one of the group buy molds with the round lube groove, then there must be a burr somewhere that will not let it release. Mine dropped easily.

You say you can't open it, you might check the alignment pins as well. I had one that had a problem with the pin nearest the handle sticking and it wouldn't let it open. Don't remember exactly what it was now, or how I fixed it. Too long ago. But it was a problem with the alignment pin. Leementing is always a good thing to do IMO.