PDA

View Full Version : Alliant Black mz and lube

herbert buckland
10-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I have run out of BP and the local shop will not have any in untill after cristmas.He did have some BLACKmz that I thought I would give a try untill the real stuff turns up.On the botle it sayes not to use lube(I find this hard to swallow) and that it needs heavy compresion(in my 56-50 spencer the opisite is best,terible groups with heavy compresion ,very good groups with no or very little compresion)With no lube or a little Lee Alox I am getting a bit of leading,is there somone that knows more abought why they recomend no lube,this makes no sence to me

montana_charlie
10-29-2012, 01:51 PM
On the botle it sayes not to use lube(I find this hard to swallow) and that it needs heavy compresion(in my 56-50 spencer the opisite is best,terible groups with heavy compresion ,very good groups with no or very little compresion)With no lube or a little Lee Alox I am getting a bit of leading,is there somone that knows more abought why they recomend no lube,this makes no sence to me
Does this resemble the information on the bottle? I copied it from the Alliant website.

Helpful hints for best results with Alliant Powder's Black MZ
•Our experience through testing and hunting has been that best results are attained in the 50 caliber muzzleloader using 90 grains volumetric of Black MZ with sabot bullet weights of 240 grains to 260 grains. Good results with 300 grain sabot bullets were seen using between 100 grains and 120 grains volumetric of Black MZ.
•Make sure that the barrel is clean and totally dry (swab barrel with dry patches until there is no evidence of moisture).
•Black MZ functions best when heavily compressed by the seated sabot.
•If you need further help or information please contact us at 800-276-9337.

As you can see (read) the powder is intended for muzzloaders using saboted bullets. That is probably why they also recommend using no lube.
I expect this is mainly directed at those modern 'inline' muzzloaders ...

CM

HARRYMPOPE
10-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Triple Seven works well with about any lube i have tried.its not a bad "sub"

herbert buckland
10-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Does this resemble the information on the bottle? I copied it from the Alliant website.

Helpful hints for best results with Alliant Powder's Black MZ
•Our experience through testing and hunting has been that best results are attained in the 50 caliber muzzleloader using 90 grains volumetric of Black MZ with sabot bullet weights of 240 grains to 260 grains. Good results with 300 grain sabot bullets were seen using between 100 grains and 120 grains volumetric of Black MZ.
•Make sure that the barrel is clean and totally dry (swab barrel with dry patches until there is no evidence of moisture).
•Black MZ functions best when heavily compressed by the seated sabot.
•If you need further help or information please contact us at 800-276-9337.

As you can see (read) the powder is intended for muzzloaders using saboted bullets. That is probably why they also recommend using no lube.
I expect this is mainly directed at those modern 'inline' muzzloaders ...

CMYes that is what is on the bottle,so far trying it in my 56-50 Spencer replica with a relined barrel it has given very good acuracy with very lite compresed loads.It just will not group more than 3 shots with my BP lube ,seems to like a smear of LLA,have not tryed it with no lube as yet but will give it a go today.I tryed the bullets without lube,it did not work for me,5 shots and leading started to set in although acuracy was still very good.I will not try more rounds without lub as I am not fond of removing lead.With a little LLA I can shoot 20 rounds with very good acuracy but there is still a little leading.This stuff does work but not as good as BP in my opinion ,but at the momet it is all I can get