PDA

View Full Version : 7/8" -14 Carbon Steel Hex Rethreading Die

tonyb
10-28-2012, 10:13 AM
7/8" -14 Carbon Steel Hex Rethreading Die

Good place to buy?
MAC tool has them for less than $5 but shipping is over $9!!!

dragonrider
10-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Have you tried MSC Direct?? or McMaster-Carr??

oneokie
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
7/8" -14 Carbon Steel Hex Rethreading Die

Good place to buy?
MAC tool has them for less than $5 but shipping is over $9!!!

Check with the local auto shops to see if a tool truck stops by. If it isn't on the truck, they may get one for pickup at a later date.

theperfessor
10-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Are you anywhere near a Grainger store? They are real good about ordering things they don't carry in stock. Or an Ace hardware store? They are pretty good about that also, and are the only place I can find metric cap screws on a weekend.

I'll Make Mine
10-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Are you anywhere near a Grainger store?

Disclaimer: I work for these guys (but I fix stuff, I'm not a salesperson)...

You're more likely to find a Fastenal branch store near you than a Grainger, and they can get anything that's in stock at any US distribution center in 3-4 working days, at most. I just checked, and they list two different 7/8-14 hex rethreading dies.

LUBEDUDE
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I wonder if Mac Tools gets them from the same source I got mine.

I ordered mine on ebay, but it came from England at about an identical price and shipping.

375RUGER
10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
It's not worth $14 to you? That seems pretty cheap to me for that size die.

LUBEDUDE
10-29-2012, 12:12 AM
It's not worth $14 to you? That seems pretty cheap to me for that size die.

My thoughts exactly. That's why I jumped on it.

W.R.Buchanan
10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
You are not going to fnd a die that is any good for less than $14, I'd order it before they figure out that the miss priced it.

Randy

mdi
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I read rethreading die, not a standard thread cutting die. If you are just going to straighten out threads already cut, try a grade 8 nut 7/8-14, just run it up and down the threads a few times, with oil. I've used nuts as a thread chaser (aka rethreading die) by cutting a slot in the threads (perpendicular to threads) and running the nut down the threads. There are other tools to fix buggered threads besides dies.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-repair-files/=jxlrl3 http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-chasers/=jxlt2b http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-chasers/=jxltbp

CATS
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
If you are fixing threads you may get by with a small file to clean up the mess and then a hardened nut as mdi suggested. Use a good lube with the nut so that you don't gall it all up worse. Less metal removal is usually better when hitting it with a file. Good luck.

MBTcustom
10-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Also, I don't know what you are trying to fix with this, but most reloading dies are hardened steel and damaged threads will eat a cheap carbon steel die for breakfast.
Are you sure you want a "Die"? Die's are for addressing external threads like the ones on your reloading dies. For internal threads, like the one that your die screws into in the top of your press, you need a tap.
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I have seen those two tools names get mixed up a lot.
Now, as far as where to buy from, I actually buy quite a lot of tooling on e-bay.

azjohn
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Another tool to consider would be a thread file. How far are you from a Sears?

DCM
10-30-2012, 12:31 AM
Also, I don't know what you are trying to fix with this, but most reloading dies are hardened steel and damaged threads will eat a cheap carbon steel die for breakfast.
Are you sure you want a "Die"? Die's are for addressing external threads like the ones on your reloading dies. For internal threads, like the one that your die screws into in the top of your press, you need a tap.
Not trying to insult your intelligence, but I have seen those two tools names get mixed up a lot.
Now, as far as where to buy from, I actually buy quite a lot of tooling on e-bay.

+1 if you are trying to fix the threads on a RL Die I would agree.

It may be cheaper to buy a new die than fix the one you have.

https://fsreloading.com/

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=2611537&PMAKA=314-5034

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=19508745&PMAKA=319-5384

I have never tried a thread file on an RL die, but would not expect much other than a dull file.

W.R.Buchanan
10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
another thing you can do is just take a regular triangle file and work on the gooned areas of the threads with that.

I had to do this with my Rhineland barrel to get it to fit into the Turkish Mauser action. The thread pitch diameter on the barrel was just a little too big so judicious use of the file (for about 2 hours) made the pitch diameter small enough so that I could screw it into the action.

Then I finished the threads by buffing them with a Scotch Brite fuzz wheel on the buffer.

If you are going to file threads with anything make usre you use a rocking motion with the file.
This is important so as to not cause flat spots.

The motion is started with the point of the file in the thread and the heel up, then as you push forward the heel is lowered. Kind of like buffing a shoe with a shoe brush.

THIS MOTION IS THE CORRECT WAY TO FILE OR STONE A ROUND OBJECT.

This is how you remove dings from a shaft.

Any other motion will generate flats on the round surface.

Learned this in 8th grade metal shop.

Randy

tonyb
10-30-2012, 09:25 PM
ordered a die. thank you all.

theperfessor
10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Good luck with what ever your trying to do. Even rethreading will benefit from some lubrication so don't be afraid to use some cutting fluid, even a few drop of motor oil is better than dry cutting.

rbuck351
11-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Another thing that works well is to thread on a nut, by hand, until it gets to a tight spot then place the nut, with the shaft in it, on an anvil or other flat steel thing and hit the top flat part of the nut with a hammer. Rotate the nut/shaft until you have hit all six sides then hand thread the nut on a little more and repeat. This works and won't gall the threads.

xd4584
11-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Here is my .02.....

A bolt and nut that are about the same hardness... you can thread a nut on and slap it against something to straighten a thread, but with a regular nut on a hardened reloading die... won't work. Also, trying to chase a thread with a cheap die that is probably not has hard as the reloading die isn't going to work either. A file is probably going to be the only way.

rbuck351
11-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Most of the dies I have seen aren't that hard. It's easy to bugger up the threads or the knurling on the top with a set of pliers. They just aren't that hard.