PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Loose on Rossi 92

HighRoad
10-28-2012, 07:44 AM
I just removed the factory front sight from my Rossi 92 to replace it with a Marble's 57W sight. The Marble sight is loose, it just slides all the way through the groove. Can anyone tell what the method is far fixing the sight in place?
thanks

docone31
10-28-2012, 08:08 AM
You peen the dovetail. Common on front stuffers.
You can still adjust the sight that way.

Jeff H
10-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I believe you may have two different dovetails. If I remember correctly, the Rossi is not a standard size, per our measuring system.

I've had a nice Lyman front sight in a box for years that I thought I could use in my Rossi and it fell right through.

Peening, or lightly tapping on the top of one of the barrel dovetails, is the way to go on one that has loosened up a little, but when it's as far off as the one I have, it's too much space to try to make up.

runfiverun
10-28-2012, 05:52 PM
rossi doesn't use the normal 3/8ths dovetail [dunno why]
i usually end up making a little shim to slide under a replacement sight even after peening the edges of the dove tail,and dimpling the bottom of the cut.
piece of pop can doubled or one of those thick beer bottle/cans does the trick.

TXGunNut
10-28-2012, 10:40 PM
If you don't have room for a beverage can shim I've used a piece of Scotch tape on the bottom of a sight. Trims easily as well.

bigted
10-29-2012, 12:35 AM
shimming is definetly the way to go...also you can do an old trick found on several old sights...drill and tap one side for a small set screw.

pietro
10-29-2012, 03:20 PM
BCS - +3 (beer can shim) ;)