PDA

View Full Version : when to replace WAA Hulls

Buttonbuck
10-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Now I have and have access more once fired WAA shells however being frugal but practical when should you replace the hulls from reloading slugs in them? Mine are starting to show small cracks on the folds about half way up the fold. I figure I have shot these about 4 times or so. I am still working on a load for the slugmaster. I am just about out of herco, not crazy about this powder for this gun, works wonders for a firends 870. THat said I do not want to throw off potentially good results by using hulls that may throw me off.

OnHoPr
10-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Reading some of Dixie Slugs post a few years ago in his testing of slug reloading mentioned that new and one fired gave the better results. I myself have done a some what little to moderate slug testing, but not real extensive, maybe 3 to 5 lbs of various powders. I am not sure of the actual number of firings that you could get before getting real detrimental signs begin. It seems to depend on the type of loads your tinkering with and the hull type itself,also if you roll or fold crimp. I have tinkered with anywhere from 20 gr of green dot in a 2 3/4" hull to 50+ gr of steel in a 3 1/2" hull with the 1 oz Lee. I have come to the conclusion that it does matter though, to what extent for what accuracy, I am not sure.