PDA

View Full Version : Press in room - lead contamination?

icor1031
10-28-2012, 05:39 AM
My book on reloading, warns not to reload in a room that you spend significant time, such as a bedroom; because, the lead contaminates the room.

..Is this actually an issue? (I will be loading cast bullets).

icor1031
10-28-2012, 06:22 AM
I think I misunderstood the book, and it only warns to clean the press - not that it contaminates the room.

However, I am still interested if you have input.

44Vaquero
10-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Lead has to be in-gusted to be hazardous. Washing your hands after handling lead is really the only precaution required if you are not casting.
You can find a couple of threads in the casting section devoted to the issue of lead contamination.

Roundnoser
10-28-2012, 02:37 PM
If you have small children, I would use caution with cast boolits lying around, or having a couple left accidentally on the floor. -- Otherwise it's not a problem assuming you take
44Vaquero's advice about washing your hands, etc.

I have quite a few friends who have limited space, and use a bedroom for reloading.

gray wolf
10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
My whole Camp, (house) is 16'X26' I clean brass outside when possible.
I also keep ingots in coffee cans, some with a lid, some not, I don't cast inside,
and NO lead dust in the camp, (house) don't chew on bullets and wash your hands.

jmorris
10-28-2012, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't have carpet in my reloading room.

Freischütz
10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
I believe lead dust from fired primers is the issue.

10-28-2012, 05:41 PM
The outside air is more polluted than that in my garage, where I cast and reload. I have to breathe the air, but I don't eat lead.

1hole
10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Solid lead - bullets, bird shot, etc - can be ingested even by kids and excreted without harm, it's just not soluable into the body. Fine lead oxides that form on the surface of solid lead and many of it's similar forms are soluable but there's very little of that to be concerned about. Don't lick off the gray on your fingers after handling lead bullets and all will be well.

max it
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
HI Ya, too many people smarter than me here. I have had to stop casting for the blood lead level. there are lots of discussions worth reading on this both here and other forums. be careful!
Max
p.s. i stopped casting more than 6 months ago, blood lead level has not dropped from 20mg/dcl s/b 10 or less.
oye!

imashooter2
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
What if one of the rooms you spend significant time in is your reloading room?

runfiverun
10-29-2012, 10:36 PM
don't lick the carpet...

look... just wash your hand's.

i worked in a plant for a few years making electro ceramics.
my job was to mix the lead oxide and some other materials into a slurry and then spray dry it into consistently sized pieces of powder.
i would then press it into shapes and heat it in a kiln.
i was also working before/after and on weekends casting for a small custom casting business i had at the time.
my blood lead level [at any time] was not higher than the average in the plant and was usually below.
i was one of the few smokers that worked there,and worked with the raw [oxidized] material through the finished product.

r1kk1
10-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Pb has accumulative effects on a living organism. Chelation therapy is not cheap. I have seen both adults and child suffer the ill effects of lead poisoning. Lead paint and lead pipes are still existent in older homes. Couple this with asbestos insulation can drive disposal fees through the roof. My wife and I have our levels checked every two years. Pb is particularly dangerous when it is reduced to the particulate level such as brass tumbling. I wear an N-95 mask when separating brass from media. If cleaning brass using wet methods, I dispose of the water and not down the sink into my septic.

I can understand your concern with children and I respect it. Carpet harbors everything! Lead can be from dermal contact, ingestion and most dangerous, inhalation. I wear exam gloves when loading, casting and cleaning equipment and firearms. Adults need to remain below 20 u/dL and children half of that as well as seniors.

Pb is truly amazing. Used as currency, war, shielding from radiation, and putting meat on the table.

It needs to be respected.

r1kk1

jmorris
10-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Lead levels in you blood will also reduce as your exposure to it drops. I have my lead levels tested every year after it got to high from shooting indoor matches. Quit shooting indoors and a year later, and since then, normal levels.