PDA

View Full Version : The powder is pushing back .......

Jack Stanley
10-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I've been fooling around with a heavy load for the Browning model fifty-three . Those of you in the know understand what a nice 32-20 this little rifle is .

The bullets are from an old LEE group buy that makes a hudred fifteen grain gas checked bullet . These are lubed with LBT blue leaving the top groove empty and I use a Hornady gas check on the base . The cases are Starline and have been fit to the rifle before firing by expanding the neck so it doesn't fit the rifle . Then , adjusting the size die untill the case will just barely allow the rifle to lock .

I use twelve and a half grains of 2400 and the overall length I'm trying to get is 1.515" and that is a bit of a challenge . I think the powder is pushing back or something . I tried loading only twelve point three grains and it was much easier to keep a consistant length . Umfortunately a lighter charge doesn't give near as good a group as the two tenths more .

Since I've never really loaded and compressed the powder charge I don't know if it can push back . Not much spring to the stuff , it seems kind of crunchy not rubbery . Perhaps I don't have enough neck tension to hold the bullets untill I get them crimped . With the way the size die is set I think it's only touching about half the neck .

Any ideas fellas ? Thanks .

Jack

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Jack,

Yes, I believe that there could be a problem with the heavier charge of powder, especially considering it is easier to keep the boolit in place with the slightly lighter power charge.

I tried using 3031 in my 45/70, a powder favored by a good number of 45/70 shooters, but at the load levels I was using at that time - RUGER #1 - it just wasn't working, to the point where I was deforming the boolit nose during seating and still not able to seat them to the proper depth.

Just guessing here, but I wonder if there is a SLIGHTLY faster powder, or one of higher energy with slightly less bulk which might give the results you desire with a shorter powder column.

Keep us posted as to the solution you arrive at.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Jack Stanley
10-27-2012, 09:49 PM
I wondered about the same thing , I got a little Accurate arms number nine left I think that might do the trick . Or I got almost a pound of Power Pistol I could try for probably a good bit less velocity .

Jack

SciFiJim
10-28-2012, 12:14 AM
This is at the edge of my knowledge, but you might try vibrating the case to settle the powder more. Drop tubes are used for black powder, they may work for smokeless as well.

If someone else knows more about this or if it is inherently more dangerous that regular reloading, please post more info.

runfiverun
10-28-2012, 12:40 AM
the vibrating is what i was thinking too.
sometimes just holding the case between thumb and fore finger [covering the case mouth] and giving it a few flicks with your finger will settle the powder.
a drop tube as short as 12" could help too but one closer to 24-30" would be better.