PDA

View Full Version : ML Shoot, Nov. 4, 2012, Hurley, N.Y.

Maven
10-27-2012, 07:55 PM
Morgan Hill Game Association on Dug Hill Rd. in Hurley (Ulster Co.) N.Y. will host a ML blanket shoot (not a trail walk) on Sunday, November 4, 2012. Registration starts at 8:30AM. For more information see the following:

Morgan Hill Game Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 166, Hurley, NY 12443.
Phone: 845-338-5787

I don't belong to this club, but I will be going. I hope to see you there as well!

cdet69
10-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is a ml blanket shoot?

Maven
10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
"A blanket shoot means everyone brings a prize of some sort to put on the blanket, and after the shooting is over, first choice goes to the high shooter, and on down. Depending on where you are, the prizes can be decent, or not. When my particular group gets together, prizes must have a value of at least $100, but most don't have the limit, and anything goes. I even won a live chicken on one!" ...Waksupi

Maven
11-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Please note the change in the telephone no. in my original post.

Maven
11-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Returned from this fairly well attended shoot a little while ago and enjoyed it immensely. It was a line (target) shoot, but not paper targets. What made things interesting was the variety of targets used (dowels & plastic disks @ ~15 yds., clay birds @ 50 yds., ram & pig at 80- and 100 yds., resp., etc.) as well as the varied distances. Although it was mostly clear and a bit cool, the wind gusts were something to be reckoned with when shooting the tin cans and charcoal briquets (missed the can, got the briquet). The 3 second timed shoot was a first for me, but I liked it. (With rifle loaded, primed and at port arms, the shooter dropped a ball bearing into a "contraption," which allowed only 3 sec. to get a shot off at a large shamrock @ 50 yds. It was easier to do than write about. And yes, I actually hit it!) The 'hawk and knife throw are a challenge, but I can occasionally stick the 'hawk in the target; not so the knife. While I didn't win, I didn't embarrass myself either and got to spend a beautiful day outdoors with pleasant company. Hope you had a nice day as well!