PDA

View Full Version : A little help on ideal mold please.

Gtek
10-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I am one step closer, but I am in need of some help from you fine people. Thirty plus year buddy scores collection/pile from a gentleman who has moved on to the range in the sky. I finally get to see and touch (some) today, I know he has some others hid (the game). He let me touch an IDEAL 308340 in which I could not put it down, tiny, tiny bit of orange, a littlte drag edge on hole on plate. In plain box along with was one lubed .311" band and .301" nose. He let me leave with it to clean up and throw a couple. Solid single cavity handle halves, riveted center pivot handles, 5" handles. I get home and weigh slug= 200.3 with lube, I MUST HAVE THIS ONE! I checked- googled out, fleabay, etc. no luck. History, age- around/about, fair price? I do not play poker for several reasons, I am fairly sure I had poker body, he knows he has me. A point to some info and fair offer would be greatly appreciated. Gtek

HARRYMPOPE
10-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I had a 311340 about 20 years back.it was an OK shooting mold.Before ebay overinflated pricing i sold it for $30.Now it would be a $70-$125 mold to a collector type i bet.

George

madsenshooter
10-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Only info I found in a quick look around was some loads for 30-06 found in the 1951 edition of the Ideal handbook. Here on cast pics: http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/IdealHandbook38.pdf

HARRYMPOPE
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
your nose being .301 is lucky mine cast a .297 nose.that's why i sold it as it would only shoot well at about 1200 fps.

Gtek
10-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks for feedback. Looks like single set in book but does not have interchangable blocks. Handle and opposing block is one piece. This boolit looks sweeeeet! Cannot wait to fire off pot, Sunday last day of front stuffers. If that swirling thing gets far enough up the coast myself and the airboat will be busy! Thanks again-Gtek