PDA

View Full Version : Pumkinater

Idaho Mule
10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Son and I just tried to blow up a punkin with a 1 lb. jug of tannerite. We cut the top off as in making a jackolantern and figured on scooping the guts to one side for the jug to fit, but there was plenty of room so we just slid it right in and put the lid back on. We assaulted said punkin, he with his trusty SMLE sporter in 303 Brit. and I backed him up with my 1894 in 25-35. Justin took off a punkin cheek with his first shot, missed the jug, so I cut loose and cut a nice 1/4" hole just over the top of the jug- hard to see it inside a punkin!! Justin shot again and blew the handle off the lid!! By this time I was gettin' scared, the thing was ready to CHARGE!! so I cut loose with another and nailed it. Was kinda disappointed tho cuz all the punkin shrapnel shot out the backside and didn't make as big of a splat as we were wanting. Anyone here have experience with these wild marauding punkins?? and have a better idea to make them explode properly?? Bigger charge?? Leave the lid off?? I tell ya I need HELP!! JW:bigsmyl2:

Duckiller
10-27-2012, 06:04 PM
You need water and less air. Sons and friends have a shoot-a-ton in early November. We would scrounge up a bunch of free or cheap pumpkins to shoot. First year we shot whole pumpkins expecting asssorted WWII rifles to provide enough energy to make pumpkins explode. Just made small holes in front and big hole in back. Next year we brought 100 gal of water. Cut std cleanout hole at top, filled with water, put lid back on and shot them. Hydrostatic pressure is impressive. In subsequent years we determined that if you cut a hole just large enough for the siphon tube you don't have to seal the hole. Real secret to an exploding pumpkin is to fill all voids with water.
Unfortunately no shoot-aton this year. Ranges have all been reserved and social obligations of adult children and their friends have interfered with shooting events.

runfiverun
10-27-2012, 09:16 PM
fill the thing with water it don't compress too well.
a 150 rcbs fngc at 2400 fps applied to a water filled pumpkin makes every body look over to see what you are shooting.
cut the hole in the top small.
i use a 1-1/4" hole saw

Revolver
10-28-2012, 08:31 AM
I tried the water to blow up a pumpkin thing last week, works great! ...

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdn3o0fwcec Skip to 2:15 to see the action