PDA

View Full Version : finally got it right

sergeant69
10-27-2012, 02:11 PM
after all the hasssles i have had i was real leery, but did it anyway. change dies from .30 cal to .45acp, heated up the based w/a hair dryer and the 30 cal was popped out w/a wooden dowel and heated up the .45acp die and it slid in fine. changed out the thin javalina lube for some orange stuff and started sizing. barely tighten the handle every 5-6 rds. and the thing works like a champ. like a star. like it should. but, w/out all the advice i've gotten from this forum i have no doubt i'd still be cussing at it instead of using it. :mrgreen:

VHoward
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Good news. Glad to hear you got it figured out. There is always a learning period with any new piece of equipment. Have fun.

sergeant69
10-27-2012, 06:07 PM
just finished 25 lbs. of 225 gr. 45acp SWC. am learning that when i get a dab of lube on the nose its because the base heater temp is too high or an undersize slug was sent thru. easy to fix. thanks guys. and thanks to lathesmith too!

Roundnoser
10-28-2012, 01:49 AM
By Jove, I think he's got it! Size away sergeant!

canyon-ghost
10-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Sergeant, here's where we get better smelling lube. Most of the stuff in sizers smells pretty strong. Their prices are great too. It's some of the best money I've spent.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

Good Luck,
Ron

sergeant69
10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
cool. i will look there. i'm currenly shoving thru the Star some orange colored BAC from WHITE LABEL LUBE CO. got some green stuff, Speed Green from BULL SHOP too. got those when i got the star a few years ago. never used em though. the javalina is just too dam thin. wish i had ignored the instructions for setting the depth of the top punch that came w/the machine. it put me off using it for a long time. when i said to hell w/it and laid the parts on a table and lined everything up and tightened the set screw on the punch it took maybe 30 seconds. and works great. little common sense goes a long way. the tech at Star DID give me a great piece of advice that works great too. to tighten the top handle a LITTLE at a time every few rds. i was really crankin on it. now, i turn it just a little till i feel resistance, which isn't much. once in awhile i feel no or little resistance (air pocket)? so i go a little more till it stops. i realize everyone here knows this stuff but me but i'm posting this because someone may have an even better way to do it or more tips.

dragonrider
10-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Sargent glad to hear you got it figured out.

MT Chambers
10-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Get you a Star air unit, worth every penny!

sergeant69
10-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Sargent glad to hear you got it figured out.

you and me both, brother. i may be slow, but i never ( okay, hardly ever) give up.

sergeant69
10-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Get you a Star air unit, worth every penny!

ok...tell me why and how much. i've got roughly 900 lbs out of 1000 (wheelweights) left to do.

captaint
10-29-2012, 08:13 PM
seargeant69 - I'm really pleased to hear the light finally came on !!! It's like the Ah-Ha moment. OK, now I see. I went throught it too. Don't know about all the other guys, but for a while I was thinking "this is just too complicated". And of course, it's not. Not at all.
Now, leave the lock ring off the punch and you can really have some fun. You'll see, it never moves. enjoy Mike

sergeant69
10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
ype. yep. and yep. not only is it easy. its fun. is it a felony or misdomeanor to steal wheel weights off parked cars?

VHoward
10-29-2012, 10:51 PM
ok...tell me why and how much. i've got roughly 900 lbs out of 1000 (wheelweights) left to do.

I got the air cylinder for mine and it makes it easy. I have the pressure on mine set to 40 PSI and the temp set at 90 degrees. I use White Label Lubes Carnuba Red. A filled air tank will last forever. You don't have to turn any levers to apply pressure to the lube. Just feed the machine bullets and pull the handle.

StratsMan
10-30-2012, 11:09 AM
You can search this forum for instructions to make your own air plunger for the Star... If I recall, there are some vids on U-Toob as well.... the Do-it-Yerself cost was around $40....