PDA

View Full Version : 45 Ruger Convertable loading

opos
10-27-2012, 11:20 AM
I just picked up a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 acp "convertable"...I don' t shoot or load any other 45 acp at all but do load both lead and jacketed projectiles for the 45 Colt. I've got lots of projectiles here for the 45 Colt...the lead ones are .452 from Missouri (12 harness...200 grain RNFP) and I have some Nosler "blems" that are .451 and 240 grain as I recall...with these 2 diameters can I just go ahead and work up some 45acp loads using Unique or something like 231? I probably won' t shoot the 45 acp much at all and just didn't want to buy a bunch of extra components for it...got a buddy with a bunch of once fired large primer 45 acp he'll give me....my only concern was with the diameters...Please let me know if I'm ok with it.
Thanks
opos

scattershot
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Should work fine. I have had very good results lately with 6.5 grains of Unique with a 250 lead SWC.

fecmech
10-27-2012, 11:58 AM
In regards to using the ACP cylinder you can't load SWC's with any shoulder forward of the case mouth. Ruger cut the chambers so that any exposed lead at .451" will not allow the cartridge to chamber fully and prevent cylinder rotation. Check anything you load for function before you make a bunch. I had to reseat a bunch of 200 SWC's I had loaded for my 1911 so they would chamber. That said my convertible has never fired a .45 colt cartridge! I bought it for ACP's and it does a great job with them. It's not as accurate as my 1911 Bullseye "Wad " gun but pretty darn close, probably in the 3" range at 50 yds with my target ammo.

Ps. Scattershot--Great tag line!

opos
10-27-2012, 12:08 PM
In regards to using the ACP cylinder you can't load SWC's with any shoulder forward of the case mouth. Ruger cut the chambers so that any exposed lead at .451" will not allow the cartridge to chamber fully and prevent cylinder rotation. Check anything you load for function before you make a bunch. I had to reseat a bunch of 200 SWC's I had loaded for my 1911 so they would chamber. That said my convertible has never fired a .45 colt cartridge! I bought it for ACP's and it does a great job with them. It's not as accurate as my 1911 Bullseye "Wad " gun but pretty darn close, probably in the 3" range at 50 yds with my target ammo.

Ps. Scattershot--Great tag line!

That's the kind of experinece that really helps...my plan is just to use the 200 grain RNFP that I've got stacked all over the place...from the sound of things they should work fine...never thought about the SWC situation but I can see what the issue is and yes, easy mistake to make...load em up and then take them all apart (wouldn't be the first time)...Thanks again

jmsj
10-27-2012, 05:04 PM
opos,
I believe that fecmec has it right on regarding the cylinder throats. I bought a 45 ACP cylinder to use on my 4 5/8" Bisley/Vaquero and could not get bullets sized .452"-.4525" to fully chamber. I reamed out the throats to .4525" and all was good.
I had some loads using the Lee 452-255-RF (which has the same nose profile as the Lee 452-200-RF) with 5.8 gr. of Unique and they would not chamber. After reaming the throats they fit great and as an added bonus they shot POA with factory fixed sights.
Good luck, jmsj

scattershot
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip, fecmec. My convertible isn't a Ruger, and I didn't know that. I'm looking at one of the .45 ACP Blackhawks with the birdshead grip, so that's good info.

Dusty Wheeler
10-28-2012, 07:33 PM
This has been very helpful! I'm a longtime shooter and reloader of Ruger 45 Colts but I'm having trouble sorting out 45 ACP loads for a new Flattop convertible... Please keep this thread going!

PS Paul
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
John Taffin wrote an article on the .45 acp in sixguns. I have loaded several of his recipes in my NMBH flattop from Lipseys with good results.... sixguns.com is the site...... http://sixguns.com/range/45ACPSixguns.htm is the link. Hope this helps. I really enjoyed the article and the data is useful.

45sixgun
10-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I have very little experience, but I'll offer it anyway. I have the .45 convertible also. I reamed the cylinders, but still have to size my bullets down to .451 to get them to fit through. I've been shooting 255 gr. RNFP's and 9 gr. of Unique in the long colt and 200 gr. RNFP's and 6 gr. of Unique in the ACP. I probably wouldn't have bothered much with the ACP, but I've picked up so much free brass that I just had to. And I'm glad I did...it's fun to shoot. I've enjoyed having two guns in one. Fecmech is right about the fit. I've had some problems getting my rounds to fit. There isn't much leeway for the length of the rounds. You have to seat the bullets in deeply enough or they won't go into the cylinders completely...I've almost ended up with a sticky situation from this.

Dale53
10-29-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible. Out of the box, it leaded badly with just a few shots with the .45 Colt cylinder. I couldn't chamber my .45 ACP loads. I reamed the throats in both cylinders to .4525" with a "made for the job" Manson Reamer kit (complete with pilots).

Now, I can freely chamber my SWC .45 ACP's regardless of the bullet position. Both cylinders shoot extremely well (well under 1" at 25 yards off a rest) and I get NO leading whatsoever:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/DalesPistolsRevolvers4Selects-0385.jpg

Dale53

higgins
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
As usual, slug the chambers before doing anything drastic. I used to have a Blackhawk convertible with .455 chamber mouths in the .45acp cylinder. It gave good accuracy with .454 SWCs, and they chambered easily with just a little of the bullet shoulder showing above the case.

If your gun is a newer Blackhawk it will probably have tighter chambers.

Moonie
10-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I also have a newly purchased NMBH convertible with a 7 1/2" barrel. In 45 Colt I've only shot the 300gr Lee boolit at Ruger ONLY levels. They are eye opening, I have used the 45 acp cylinder as I have a number of 1911's. My normal load for them is 200gr SWC lee over a medium dose of Unique, in this revolver those shot VERY mildly. Like shooting a 22 after the Colt loads.

Haven't shot it for accuracy yet as I've only had it out once so far.

Is yours a flatop, vaquero or large frame with ears at the sights?

Wally
10-29-2012, 02:29 PM
In my Converible Ruger .45 BHK it would seem it prefers heavier .45 ACP bullets than lighter ones...for good accuaracy. A 230 grain TC shoots more accurately than a 200 SWC... has anyone else found this to be true as well?

opos
10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
I also have a newly purchased NMBH convertible with a 7 1/2" barrel. In 45 Colt I've only shot the 300gr Lee boolit at Ruger ONLY levels. They are eye opening, I have used the 45 acp cylinder as I have a number of 1911's. My normal load for them is 200gr SWC lee over a medium dose of Unique, in this revolver those shot VERY mildly. Like shooting a 22 after the Colt loads.

Haven't shot it for accuracy yet as I've only had it out once so far.

Is yours a flatop, vaquero or large frame with ears at the sights?

Not sure who you are asking but I'm the OP and the one I have is a regular NM Blackhawk ...not a flat top...it's a 4 5/8" bbl...and is a newer one....I wrote Cylindersmith and his advice is to shoot it a bit...slug the throats with soft lead balls as one would do and see what I'm dealing with before doing much of anything....I've had some experience with the 45 colt Blackhawks and original larger framed Vaquero's...I have a couple of each....In shooting the same boolit's and powder loadings ( I normally shoot lighter loads using either Trail Boss or Unique) I get decent accuracy across the board but do have a couple of the guns that are a bit more prone to have a few "fliers" than the others (off a sand bag)...I'm going to slug everything...(been lazy to this point). Any way I do thank everyone that posted....I'll update this posting when I've got a little mileage on the gun and have slugged the throats..thanks again
opos

cabezaverde
10-29-2012, 05:24 PM
As usual, slug the chambers before doing anything drastic. I used to have a Blackhawk convertible with .455 chamber mouths in the .45acp cylinder. It gave good accuracy with .454 SWCs, and they chambered easily with just a little of the bullet shoulder showing above the case.

If your gun is a newer Blackhawk it will probably have tighter chambers.

Mine is the other way around. .454" + in the 45 colt cylinder, and tight in the acp cylinder.

makicjf
10-30-2012, 10:26 AM
I have 45 acp cylinders for both of my blackhawks, and the vaquero birdshead is strictly a 45 acp culinder. I had all three reamed to .4525. I actually use the 45 acp cylinders for cowboy matches. In order for the lee 252 swc and lee 255 rnfp to chamber the throats had to be reamed. The "cowboy" load of a lee 200 rnfp over 5.8 of unique shoots to poa at cowboy distances (35 to 45 feet at the ranges I have been to) though I was ringing the 100 yard 18 inch squares with a top third hold on sunday with the birdshead. No idea of grouping but the still was ringing. The lee 230 tc (240 from ww and lla lubed aircooled) shoots about 2 inches above poa as does the 252 swc ( 256 actual weight from ww lla lubbed aircooled) I can shoot the 230tc unsized if it is seated to 1.182 or less with a firm taper crimp over 5.8 of unique. same groups and no leading sized to .452 or left unsized in all three acp cylinders. The 252 swc to achieve an oal of close to 1.20 so i can use the speer #12 data of 6.2 unique need to be sized to .452. In order to taper crimp onto the bottom of the band my oal is around 1.193-1.195. This is my daily carry load for the birdshead. fun stuff, free brass to scavenge and eeasy to mimic the close to the original colt load of a 255 doing 850 using less powder. The 230( 240) tc aircooled over 5.8 of unique dropped a 180 lbs pig in its tracks from 25 yards away launhed from an officers model 1911. Went in behind the shoulder sheild midway up, he huurumphed, dropped drt. "autopsy" showed 2 ribs seperated from the spine at point of entry, a thumb size entry hole, scrambled eggs for lungs and a mushroomed bullet resting against the far ribcage. The 230 tc is my carry load when I get the urge to give the six shooters a rest and carry my 1911. . Killed an attack rooster drt the other day just as quickly, no dead chicken run! ( it does not do to flap and spur little girls under my care, damn bird! ) Should drop a 180 lbs BG the same way with minimal to no overpenetration.
I love the 45 acp cylinders, and you can use heavies and odd nose profiles compared to a 1911. Best purchases I ever made!
Jason

bigboredad
10-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I also had issues with my .45acp cylinder but like the others reaming it ti .4525 cleared all that up so I can now load hot .45 acp bullets long enough that they won't feed in my semi auto's but work great in my blackhawk if you have never shot the .45 acp's out of a blackhawk they are a lot of fun. Also even if you don't have the acp cylinder you can purchase .45 brass that is rimmed and the same length as the .45 acp brass it is marked .45 cowboy or special and is not the .45 rimmed case with the super thick rim

scattershot
10-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Anyone know of a place to rent these reamers, or maybe buy a used one?

bigboredad
10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
cylindersmith.com is reasonable just send your cylinder and the turn around is quick

45sixgun
10-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Scattershot, I'll let you use the one I have (Manson) for free if you want. It has all of the guides too. When I got it, it had been used on just a few cylinders. Still seems like new. It's a little tricky doing it yourself, but not real bad. Just pm me if you're interested.

scattershot
10-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks, you are truly a gentleman. PM on the way.

Gene

makicjf
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
I found this interesting. I had loaded about 150 lee 252 swc ww ac lla lubed sized .452 into 45 acp cases over 6.2 of unique for packing loads in my 3 1/2 vaquero birdshead. I had shot a few at steel, but had never put them on paper. I did yesterday. From 20 yards they were keyholing. The lee 230 tc ww ac lla sized .452 or unsized over 5.8 of unique is a tack driver load from the same pistol. I installed the 45 acp cylinder in my 4 5/8 blackhawk and shot the 252 swc from 20 yards and had a sub 2 inch group with 5 and a high right flyer on about 3 1/2 roughly 1:00 o'clock. I was shooting pretty quickly, just flash sight picture. i was really just interested in the imprint. Perfect round .452 size holes. Is the 252 to heavy to stabalize in the 3 1/2 inch bbl? I will just carry them in the 4 5/8 Blackhawk; they will certainly deflate anything I'll encounter in Central Texas that needs deflating. I had intended them as original Colt equivalent loads for all around carry, but the birdshead does not like them?
Why do ya'll think they are keyholing?
Thanks!
Jason

Moonie
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Have you measured them? If they are dropping small that would certainly cause stability problems. Might try upping your load of unique to see if it helps.

ClemY
11-05-2012, 03:28 PM
opos,
I believe that fecmec has it right on regarding the cylinder throats. I bought a 45 ACP cylinder to use on my 4 5/8" Bisley/Vaquero and could not get bullets sized .452"-.4525" to fully chamber. I reamed out the throats to .4525" and all was good.
I had some loads using the Lee 452-255-RF (which has the same nose profile as the Lee 452-200-RF) with 5.8 gr. of Unique and they would not chamber. After reaming the throats they fit great and as an added bonus they shot POA with factory fixed sights.
Good luck, jmsj

In the not too distant past, Ruger .45 were famous for being tight and a cottage industry grew up to ream the throats to .4525”. The same thing was sometimes needed on the .45 ACP cylinders. I modified my .45 ACP cylinder to headspace .45 AR brass as well as .45 ACP. These days I mostly shoot .45 AR in mine with 200 gr. Hornady SWCs with mild loads of 231. The combination is very accurate and the AR cases seem to cycle a bit more smoothly than ACP.

makicjf
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
the lee 252 swc cast at about 255-256 grains and drops from the mold a touch over .454, a few will measure almost .455 depending on how I hold my tongue. These were sized to .452 in the push through sizer. They will not chamber, even with the throats reamed out to .4525 unless I size them or seat to an ultra short OAL. These loads are sized to .452 and seated to an oal of 1.195 with a 2/3 turn on the Lee taper crimp. The crimp measure .469ish. I am pretty certain, in this case, the boolits are not undersized. The 230 tc sized to .452 or unzized at .453-.454 shoots exactly the same either way in the little Vaquero. Thanks, that was a good thought, though.
Jason

tnpaw
02-21-2014, 10:03 PM
I know this is an old Thread! But does anyone knows where I could get a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45ACP cyclinder throat ream out to .4525!:roll:

ClemY
02-21-2014, 10:17 PM
I know this is an old Thread! But does anyone knows where I could get a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .45ACP cyclinder throat ream out to .4525!:roll:

A guy at cylindersmith.com used to do it, but apparently he pulled the pin a couple of years ago. Now you might consider going to Brownell's and getting the Manson reamer or perhaps directly from Manson, or borrow it from someone who has one.

Dale53
02-21-2014, 10:47 PM
ClemY;
My understanding is that "Cylindersmith.com" is still doing .45's. I would either drop him a line or email him.

FWIW
Dale53

tnpaw
02-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks ClemY! Yeah I google cylindersmith and no hits for him recently! I will look into Brownells! I just hate to spend to much for just one Gun!

ClemY
02-22-2014, 12:34 AM
I got the reamer because I had a few .45 Colt NMBH with .45 ACP cylinders and I did a bunch of them. Interestingly the .45 ACP cylinders tended to be tight, although not as tight as the .45 Colt cylinders. All benefitted from the mod. One unmodified .45 ACP cylinder is .455" and it still shoots well. Go figure.

kwilfong
02-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I've got a Blackhawk 45 Convertible. Both cylinders had tight throats and were reamed to .453". It also had a pretty bad case of 'thread choke' in the barrel which I lapped out. Chambering & leading issues are gone & accuracy is good.

DougGuy
02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
tnpaw PM sent..

tacklebury
02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
My convertible started off with issues, but a trip back to Ruger and they replaced both cylinders and barrel, due to being out of spec. They threw in a trigger job and now it outshoots my match grade .45 auto. ;) If you cannot get 1.5" consistent groups at 15 yards, call Ruger and they stand by their products. ;) Here's an interesting article also if you want to see what a little bit of Longshot Powder can do for you. ;) I've actually replicated these and they are snappy but safe in a Ruger.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41