PDA

View Full Version : Remington Barrel Length at breach?

MikeS
10-27-2012, 06:34 AM
Hi All.

After posting my question about barrel contour, I thought maybe I could find another answer here. As I stated in my other post, my barrel has been cut back at the breach some, and to try and figure out how much, does anyone know how far from the action do the Remington barrels usually have their name on them? On my roller the word Remington starts about 1/16" from the end of the barrel, and it looks like it might have had an E in front of it, now it's got a witness mark for aligning the barrel there, which either was put in right over the letter E, or there's just some small pitting around the mark, it's kind of hard to tell which. Thanks!

John Boy
10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I already have an authentic BP rifle, an old spanish rolling block rebarreled in 45-70.
Tell me why this request is so important before I go to the safe and take measurements. The barrel is what it is - period and personally feel knowing the distance is immaterial knowledge. If you want to know original RB barrel lengths- here's the place to ask the question ...
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/

MikeS
10-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Well, there's actually 2 reasons why I'm curious. The first reason is that Remington used square cut threads on their barrels, and while most of the licensed copies did to, the Spanish did not. They used V threads. so I'm kind of wondering if they cut off say an inch or more barrel, and cut totally new threads, or if they simply recut the square threads into V threads. The reason this is important is two fold. First off, I wonder how safe the barrel connection would be if they recut the square threads rather than cutting fresh V threads, and secondly the guy I bought the rifle from (who was surprised to hear that the action wasn't made by Remington) stated that he bought it as a barreled action, and that he put on the buttstock, and made the forestock. I supposed I should have also asked (and if you're going to measure your rifle I would appreciate this measurement too) about the distance from the end of the action to the stock mounting screw. (for the forestock) If I wanted to buy a new stock set for my rifle, I would like to know if the distance is the normal distance, or a custom one. And the second reason for asking was because my rifle is a 45-70 with that being stamped into the barrel on the bottom of the barrel, about 2" forward of where the barrel becomes round, and it's hand stamped in. So I'm wondering if that barrel was originally a 45-90 or 45-110, just cut back enough to make it a 45-70, or if it was rechambered after being cut off. Another thing about my rifle is that the end of the barrel where it mates with the action is a sharp 90deg cutoff, without any chamfering, even tho the action is chamfered or beveled.

Also, I guess because my rifle is one that's been cobbled together rather than being either an original sporting rifle, or military rifle that's been sporterized, I'm trying to find out as much as possible about it's 2 main components (the action, and the barrel).