PDA

View Full Version : Barrel numbers?

MikeS
10-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Hi All.

First off, I'm not really sure if this question should be here, or in the single shot rifle forum, so if a moderator wants to move it, I won't be insulted. I've been doing lots of reading, both here, and on paper (real books) and I see lots of reference to a barrel having a #1 contour, or a #3, etc. and I can't find anywhere that explains what the different contours are. On one barrel makers website it listed several different ones, along with one's I'd never heard before, specifically a #3.5 barrel. I'm trying to figure out what barrel I have on my rifle, it's a half octagon half round 28" barrel (that obviously didn't start off that length, I think it's been cut on both sides), at the breach end it's over an inch wide, and at the muzzle it's just slightly under an inch. My rifle is a rolling block, and the barrel is a genuine Remington & Sons brand barrel (the action however isn't, it's a spanish made roller). Were the contour numbers something that only one company used, or did they all use them? Was there any standardization or was say a #3 barrel different from Remington than it was from Sharps, or Winchester? Thanks!

bob208
10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
the number has to due with the weight of the barrel. a number 1 being the lightest or standard. i have only seen barrle numbers on winchester single shots. sharps i have only ever seen refered to by overall weight. remingtons i have not seen them called either. infact i do not see remingtons written about much.

i have a low wall with a number 2 barrel. and a high wall with a number 3.

Cimarron Red
10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi, MikeS,

Original Winchester Single-Shot barrels -- octagon, round or half octagon were numbered as follows:

No. Dim. at Receiver Dim. at Muzzle Bbl. Length

1/2 .91" .60" 15" (carbine)

1 .94" .70" 28"

2 1.0" .85" 30"

3 1.05" .95" 30"

3 1/2 1.12" .95" 30"

4 1.12" 1.08" 30"

5 1.16" 1.12" 30"

6 1.30" 1.25" 30"

Muskets had different contours:

.22 musk. 1.03" .71" 28" or 30"

CF musk. 1.02" .70" 28" or 30"

Barrel dimensions are the same regardless of the type of barrel -- oct., round, or part oct. For round barrels the dimensions listed are diameters. For octagon they are measurements across the flats, and for part octagon they are combinations of diameters and across-the-flats measurement. And the dimensions are the same regardless of the barrel length.

Nos. 1/2, 1 and 2 barrels were typically found on low walls with the 1/2 almost exclusively used on the Lightweight Carbine. But heavier barrels were available on low walls. The high wall is most often found with the standard No. 3 barrel but could be fitted with Nos. 1, 2, 4, or 5 on special order.

I took the above information from John Campbell's book, The Winchester Single Shot, a history and analysis, Volume I, pp. 89-95.

My guess is that most manufacturers today make barrels using a numbering system with dimensions very similar to this, although with fewer options.

Cimarron Red
10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
MikeS,

I'm sorry that my information did not post with the same spacing I used in composing it. If you have any questions, just ask away.

Cimarron Red
10-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Another note concerning the No. 3 1/2 barrel: Campbell says that it was made in round form only and is thought to have been specific to high walls chambered in .405 WCF and .35 WCF, although other chamberings have been reported.