PDA

View Full Version : Conceled Carry help

Gliden07
10-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Looking to get a small carry wepon. Carrying S&W 469 now but looking to downsize. Considering Kel-Tech PF-9, Kahr CM9, Ruger LC9, M+P Shield and the Walthers PPS. Anyone own any of these? Looking for likes and dislikes. I want a small Carry weapon in 9MM or bigger (Walther PPS is a 40) Semi auto at least 7 rounds or a little more. Gun show this weekend figured I could touch and feel all of them!! Then make a judgement!

mannyCA
10-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Just like your tag says, S&W Airlite 325pd. My EDC.:D

MtGun44
10-27-2012, 02:42 AM
I have a PF9. Works fine with factory ammo, not happy with my handloads - primer extrusion
issues with loads that other 9mms have no problems with. No issues with factory, so
I practice with Win whitebox ball. Very flat, accurate enough, has been reliable in general,
but one mag will jam, need to send that mag back. Pretty decent sights and rear is adjustable
for windage, and can be shimmed up if needed. Mine is pretty much on.

VERY light, VERY flat. Flat is extremely important for carry, light helps a lot, too.

Bill

RobsTV
10-27-2012, 09:10 AM
The M&P Shield .40 has been great here. Eats everything. Great sights and an even better trigger, which greatly assists accuracy. Small enough to pocket carry (barely) and still excellent 25 yard accuracy, which makes less than 7 yards automatic. Made to shoot 1000's of problem free rounds with a lifetime warranty for any owner (something that other gun makers gave up on due to less than desired long term wear and tear).

Groo
10-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Groo here
There are a number of 9mm single stack pistols now. [I have a Robaugh R9S]
But I would not part with the 469--- that was S&W's answer to Devel and ASP
and is still one of the best small 9mm's.

Gliden07
10-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Groo here
There are a number of 9mm single stack pistols now. [I have a Robaugh R9S]
But I would not part with the 469--- that was S&W's answer to Devel and ASP
and is still one of the best small 9mm's.

I agree its a GREAT pistol and I've had it for a long time!! I wouldnt trade it in, I did for curiosity brought it to a local shop and asked what they would give me for it he told me $175.00 I told him for that I would keep it and walked out!! I'm just really looking for a new toy!! I hav'nt bought a new handgun in quite sometime and figured with my new CCW coming I would update to something a little bit newer!!

Matthew 25
10-27-2012, 05:21 PM
XDs. It is so easy to carry. You can shoot it accurate and fast, slick little piece.

cabezaverde
10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I have the Kahr CM9. Got it about a month ago, put about 400 rounds through it (200 cast) without a bobble.

It has replaced my J frame as my carry gun. I also shoot it much better than my DAO J Frame.

Artful
10-28-2012, 12:48 PM
A friend just bought a S&W Shield in 40 - slick little gun and fits in jeans back pocket - good groups - trigger pull not bad - sights good - eating reloads ok - he told me some have had issue with mag retention but his doesn't - there is a good deal of info on the S&W forum he showed me.

randyrat
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
P3AT 380 KelTec
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: .380 AUTO
Weight unloaded: 8.3 oz. 235g
Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz. 81g
Length: 5.2" 132mm
Height: 3.5" 89mm
Width: .77" 20mm
Barrel Length: 2.7" 68mm
Sight radius: 3.8" 97mm
Muzzle Energy Max: 250ft-lbs 340J
Capacity: 6 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull: 5 lbs 23N

The PF9 is only 12 ounces and it is very slim

Slim and small is the answer or you won't carry, you'll get tired of carrying a heavy bulky gun around and then you will just quit carrying.

boltons75
10-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Kahr p380, size it's the same as the kel Tec and ruger 380s, but Kahr has a much nicer trigger, and real adjustable sights. My wife's carry gun.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

NoZombies
10-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Just like your tag says, S&W Airlite 325pd. My EDC.:D

I'm curious how you're carrying that. I've got one, and a few holsters, but I'll be darned if I can find a way to carry it that doesn't show terribly. I live in a fairly warm climate, during the cooler months, I can get away with carrying under a light jacket or sweater, but it's T-shirt weather here at least 8 months of the year...

Since I have a hard time carrying the 325 PD, I end up carrying a Sig P238 in warm weather, and a Para C6-45 in sweater weather.

Also, how did you manage a CA carry permit? LEO?

bobthenailer
10-28-2012, 05:32 PM
A+ on the Kahr PM9 or CM9 ! i have 3 Kahr pistols a PM9 , CW45 , TP45 i like them alot . I also have quite a few friends who also have Kahr and they all like them !
I prefer the Galco IWB holster for carry with the Kahrs
As for ammo i use Barnes TAC-XP in all of my CCW guns !

Jeff Michel
10-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I have the Kel-tec, not bad. Kahr 380, don't feed for **** and and Walther PPK/s in .32 and 380, very good. I carry a Star Firestar in 9mm. You would have to find the Star on the used market. I have never had a jamb in it ever. Regardless of what I've fed it, I can't say that about the others.

27judge
10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I had a S&W mp 9mm and 45 compact they were still a little big and heavy. I went to a kahr pm9 in a galco isw holster very easy and light to carry shoots very well. I have put about 400 rds thru it no problems.I have a new fusion 1911 45 coming real soon and will be carrying it in a milt sparks vm2(wich i had on order for 5 months)
This will be my winter carry still a little heavy but winter clothes shold help hide it tks for your time
ken

cabezaverde
10-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Not looking for a fight here, but I just refuse to carry anything less than a 9mm. If I could hide a 45 in my pocket, I would prefer that.

Dan Cash
10-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Why not an alloy Commander? It is light, very flat and concealable, 8+1 capacity and shoots a real cartridge.

Catshooter
10-28-2012, 08:36 PM
I carry a S&W Shorty 45 winter, summer, spring & fall. It will feed an empty case from the mag 100% of the time, like most 3rd gen Smiths will. And it's a .45.

You might want to re-read your sig line. :)

Cat

fish0123
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I started out thinking that I needed the smallest, lightest gun possible. Which was a Ruger LCP. I really like it, but I realized how easy it is to conceal larger guns with just normal clothes. I now carry my Glock 30 primarily.

Also I forgot to add, a good belt and holster really help. I have the crossbreed belt and supertuck holster which are both very comfortable.

Gliden07
10-29-2012, 11:43 PM
I went to Gun Show in Springfield MA all the real small 9MM and 40's were all bought up!! Was told by a local dealer the Shield is tough to get right now cause it just became MA compliant! he had an LCP but I want a larger round. I started to look at the M&P9C it is a double stack and is a tad wider than most of the other ones I'm considering but it fit my hand good. Was not a huge fan of the trigger though. Still looking for input. I plan on shooting this in IDPA compititions also to become more proficant with it in the real world.

DCM
10-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Give the Beretta Nano a try. YMMV

tomme boy
10-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Hate to say it, but todays 380's perform better than the 9mm's from the 90's. Bullets have come a long ways in the last few years. I carry 4 different guns depending on how I feel. A G26 with a G19 mag, a Taurus 85 ultralite weight in 38 spec., Ruger LCP in 380., and a Citadel FS Tactical in 45acp.

Most of the time it is the 38 or the 380. I wear one of these all the time. Only time I do not have one on me is when I am sleeping. Then, I have one of these next to me and a shotgun with 00 buck in it.

In Iowa we have a carry law. It does not matter if it is open or not. The main thing is to not be without it. Find something that is comfortable for you.

MtGun44
10-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Flat, flat, flat. This is the most important thing for CCW. This is one reason that
the 1911 is so concealable, it is very flat for the caliber.

IMO, ALL doublestack guns are open carry guns, or for people with the ability to dress
if clothes that will cover big, thick guns.

Bill

saz
10-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Flat, flat, flat. This is the most important thing for CCW. This is one reason that
the 1911 is so concealable, it is very flat for the caliber.

IMO, ALL doublestack guns are open carry guns, or for people with the ability to dress
if clothes that will cover big, thick guns.

Bill

+1. Kimber Ultra Carry II. Thin, light and accurate. What is not to like?

Gliden07
10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
+1. Kimber Ultra Carry II. Thin, light and accurate. What is not to like?

Not legal to own in Commie Wealth of MASS!!

fishnbob
10-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't carry my Kimber Pro Carry 'cause I don't want it confiscated for 2 or 3 years while I defend myself in a court of law after I have used it to defend myself. I don't want to take a chance on losing it. I carry a Kahr CW 40. It's thin, accurate & carrys well inside or outside the waistband and didn't cost a 1000 bucks.

saz
10-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Not legal to own in Commie Wealth of MASS!!

WHAT!?! Why not?

Gliden07
11-01-2012, 06:55 AM
All the Firearms here have to be aproved for use here by the Attorney General. The maker has to submit 5 guns to a Mass testing facility to distroy to see if they pass there "safety tests" if they pass and the AG feels like listing it he will. Did I mention the maker of said firearm has to pay for all of it! Since 1998 we hav'nt been able to buy Glocks here other than whats already in the state!! No Gen 3's or 4's! They passed this not as a Gun control act but a public safety act! Many makers refuse to do the testing thus they don't get on the approved list! Thats where Kimber, Glock and many more are, not approved for public consumption in the State of Mass because there Dangerous to public saftey. OH MY GOD A FIREARM CAN BE DANGEROUS??? THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY"LL BE TELLING ME CIGERETTE SMOKE CAUSES CANCER!!

Another thing they have to get every firearm they make approved!! So if a manufacture makes 10 Firearms he has to submit and pay to test 50 guns!! If he only submits 5 then only 5 are listed as "approved" for the state! S&W is in Springfield MA and I bet half the guns they make I can't buy here!! Its pathetic!!

WHAT!?! Why not?

Sasquatch-1
11-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Have you looked at the Ruger SR-C series? My daughter has the SR9C which is in 9mm. Came with a short 10 round mag for concealment and a larger one for capacity. I believe it comes in 40 S&W also.

saz
11-01-2012, 07:06 PM
All the Firearms here have to be aproved for use here by the Attorney General. The maker has to submit 5 guns to a Mass testing facility to distroy to see if they pass there "safety tests" if they pass and the AG feels like listing it he will. Did I mention the maker of said firearm has to pay for all of it! Since 1998 we hav'nt been able to buy Glocks here other than whats already in the state!! No Gen 3's or 4's! They passed this not as a Gun control act but a public safety act! Many makers refuse to do the testing thus they don't get on the approved list! Thats where Kimber, Glock and many more are, not approved for public consumption in the State of Mass because there Dangerous to public saftey. OH MY GOD A FIREARM CAN BE DANGEROUS??? THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW THEY"LL BE TELLING ME CIGERETTE SMOKE CAUSES CANCER!!

Another thing they have to get every firearm they make approved!! So if a manufacture makes 10 Firearms he has to submit and pay to test 50 guns!! If he only submits 5 then only 5 are listed as "approved" for the state! S&W is in Springfield MA and I bet half the guns they make I can't buy here!! Its pathetic!!

All i can say is "WOW!" That is absolutely insane......

.5mv^2
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I hand load my LCP to the max book load. I shoot 110 grain lead boolits at 850 fps. Kind of pathetic when compared to a 9 mm or larger. My brass gets bulgy if I go any higher.

Sometimes it is the best choice as it is quite thin and having 7 rounds.

My last shoot out was with a coon. He took 3 shots centermass and was hurt but quite alive. Makes me wonder what would happen if I was shooting a 200 pound man rather than that 15 pound animal.

Gliden07
11-02-2012, 12:34 AM
I was trolling around You Tube and listened to a taped radio interview of the Director of GOAL (Gun Owners Action League these guys are the ones fighting for 2nd amedment rights in MA) Jim Wallace in September of this year. He said that in 1998 there where 1.5 million registered Mass Gun owners and after the laws were changed the registered Gun owners low hit 230,000!!!! Registered owners are again on the rise but no where near what they where. GOAL and Mr Wallace have been trying to get a meeting with Govener Duvall Patrick for 5 years to no avail!! Our Govener won't even talk to Gun Owners to discuss possible solutions, he simply refuses to talk!! How can that even be legal??

This is a link to interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OX9cwmgLs0&feature=share&list=PLBE4C0ECBA402B4CC

Give it a listen if you think you got it bad with firearms in your state!! There are a couple but I think my state makes the top 3?

RobsTV
11-02-2012, 07:58 AM
I hand load my LCP to the max book load. I shoot 110 grain lead boolits at 850 fps. Kind of pathetic when compared to a 9 mm or larger. My brass gets bulgy if I go any higher.

Sometimes it is the best choice as it is quite thin and having 7 rounds.

My last shoot out was with a coon. He took 3 shots centermass and was hurt but quite alive. Makes me wonder what would happen if I was shooting a 200 pound man rather than that 15 pound animal.

Not a good story on the power of the 380. I think I would rather give up another 0.2" in width (still thin), which allows for a 180gr .402 40 S&W round.

FergusonTO35
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Animals are a lot tougher than people. I've seen many critters take solid hits from magnum shotgun loads and centerfire rifles and run off like its nothing. Also, unlike people they don't know how to properly behave once shot.

bcp477
11-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Why would you wish to downsize from a 469 ? A truly excellent carry weapon, if there ever was one ! Anything smaller and lighter, using 9mm Para or larger, will only be harder to shoot accurately and less comfortable to shoot. As well, none of the "mouse guns" (the size class of which you speak) will ever equal the quality, reliability and accuracy of your Smith.

If you wish to go from a 3.5" barrel pistol - a COMPACT (your 469, for example) , to a 3" barrel pistol - a SUB-COMPACT, then I can see the advantage - IF the gun in question is a quality piece with a decent amount of heft. I have taken to carrying an S&W CS9 myself lately....which is exactly what I am describing (a 3" barrel, all-metal with good heft and ergonomics, but single stack with 7 rounds).

But, I would NEVER go smaller than that, myself....and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. "Pocket guns" are atrocious shooters....and simply discourage practice and proficiency. They really offer almost no concealment advantage over a sub-compact, anyway.

Perhaps you need simply to consider your style of carry - and possibly revise it ? A better holster, perhaps ?

Just saying........

Gliden07
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Why would you wish to downsize from a 469 ? A truly excellent carry weapon, if there ever was one ! Anything smaller and lighter, using 9mm Para or larger, will only be harder to shoot accurately and less comfortable to shoot. As well, none of the "mouse guns" (the size class of which you speak) will ever equal the quality, reliability and accuracy of your Smith.

If you wish to go from a 3.5" barrel pistol - a COMPACT (your 469, for example) , to a 3" barrel pistol - a SUB-COMPACT, then I can see the advantage - IF the gun in question is a quality piece with a decent amount of heft. I have taken to carrying an S&W CS9 myself lately....which is exactly what I am describing (a 3" barrel, all-metal with good heft and ergonomics, but single stack with 7 rounds).

But, I would NEVER go smaller than that, myself....and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. "Pocket guns" are atrocious shooters....and simply discourage practice and proficiency. They really offer almost no concealment advantage over a sub-compact, anyway.

Perhaps you need simply to consider your style of carry - and possibly revise it ? A better holster, perhaps ?

Just saying........

Truthfully want to try a new polymer style pistol. Wanted a Glock but there not legal here in Mass. So the Smith M&P makes sense to me. I can concel it I can shoot IDPA with it probably gonna get the M&P 9C, held the 9MM Shield did'nt like the feel of it, and I can keep all my ammo 45ACP and 9mm. I do not want a 380 for a couple reasons I can't shoot IDPA with it and I feel the 9mm is the smallest round I would consider for stopping power? I'm sure theres gonna be a lot of people that disagree but thats ok too!!

saz
11-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Father in law has an M&P 45 and he LOVES it for what it is worth.

bcp477
11-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Well then, I understand. Gotta try new things every so often. I would certainly agree on not going with .380. 9mm Para IS sufficient for SD, especially using suitable boolits. As with big game hunting, shot placement is most important....but having enough of a round is important, too. 9mm Para is enough.

Best of luck with your M&P...or whatever you ultimately choose.

patsher
11-03-2012, 03:40 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the S&W Bodyguard .380! Very smooth, GREAT trigger! I really prefer my compact Sig 45 acp if I'm wearing bulky clothing, but for concealed carry in thin clothing, I settled on the Bodyguard. Mine is accurate at 25 yards, believe it or not! Eats my cast boolits like candy. Recoil is a little snotty if I load it hot, but -- oh, well! I sold the other two .380s I owned (Walther PPK and Sig)-- the Walther rapped my knuckle without mercy, and while I really liked the Sig (older model), it was just too bulky and heavy. Couldn't afford the latest, lightest Sig .380.

marlin39a
11-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey Gliden07, I'll jump in with a vote for the Ruger LC9. It has been my go to concealed gun for about a year now. Carried in a Don Hume In the Waistband holster. Perfect here in AZ for hot weather carry. Hey I use to live in Central MA. and frequent those gun shows at the Big E. Are they still going strong?

Gliden07
11-03-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the S&W Bodyguard .380! Very smooth, GREAT trigger! I really prefer my compact Sig 45 acp if I'm wearing bulky clothing, but for concealed carry in thin clothing, I settled on the Bodyguard. Mine is accurate at 25 yards, believe it or not! Eats my cast boolits like candy. Recoil is a little snotty if I load it hot, but -- oh, well! I sold the other two .380s I owned (Walther PPK and Sig)-- the Walther rapped my knuckle without mercy, and while I really liked the Sig (older model), it was just too bulky and heavy. Couldn't afford the latest, lightest Sig .380.

Hey Gliden07, I'll jump in with a vote for the Ruger LC9. It has been my go to concealed gun for about a year now. Carried in a Don Hume In the Waistband holster. Perfect here in AZ for hot weather carry. Hey I use to live in Central MA. and frequent those gun shows at the Big E. Are they still going strong?

I tried out both the Body Guard and the LCP didnt feel right in my hand both of them were in 380. I want to shoot IDPA with pistol too so the 380 is out. Has to be 9mm or bigger.

Marlin39a- yes show still going on, matter of fact this was the insperation of this post went to it last week! Wanted opinions so I could try them all out at the show!! Dont know how long ago you lived here? But the show has gotten smaller and there seems to be a lot more knife guys too! But still going!!

RobsTV
11-03-2012, 10:46 AM

A couple weeks after getting my S&W M&P Shield .40 for use as pocket carry, we bought a Bodyguard 380 for the wife (new price of $335 hard to beat from SOSS). After I shot the first 3 mags to make sure all was well and center the laser, that was enough and I was done with it, and handed it to the wife expecting her to say to get rid of the thing. Very long and hard trigger! But the wife likes it, and that's what matters most. Maybe short skinny fingers help? You definitely don't need to worry about any safeties with that 15+lb trigger that seems like it will bottom out before it breaks, then nearly full release before reset. Other than the trigger, it is easily concealed and very accurate with decent real sights. Laser works well for the wife to learn proper grip and feel of the gun.

While I don't care much for the trigger of the BG380, I do sometimes pocket carry it instead of my Shield, with it's smaller size and lighter weight making it disappear in pants pocket. Also liked the BG380 much better than similar sized Keltec 32 and 380's. Real sights giving the BG380 great accuracy, with laser bonus and unbeatable warranty which even includes lifetime on the laser. None are range guns. The Shield can be used as a pocket gun and a range gun, doing both tasks very well, but with the larger caliber comes the slightly additional size and weight.

EDITED 11/8 after further review to not be so harsh on BG380 trigger. After installing Talon grips on the BG380, dry firing again and I was suprised at how the trigger did not seem bad at all. I guess the major part of the issue I had with the trigger was range shooting, and staging the long trigger. As a carry weapon, this should not be an issue, nor will extended shooting making finger sore be an issue. A few rounds and hopefully done.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
I carry a LC9 , like it very much , carries easy all day IWB or in the right pants in a pocket holster

8 rounds 7+1

It does very well with my reloads using the 356-120tc and what ever brass i pull out of the bucket

i run 4.5 gr power pistol for a good load that hits where i aim

it took a little getting used to the long DA trigger pull but now i wouldn't want to be a soda can at 10 yards as i can hit one most every time , that's not bad for a little SD gun