PDA

View Full Version : I have a slight sight problem

gester01
10-27-2012, 12:45 AM
I have a '71 Colt Cobra (2" barrel) which is nickel plated and from which the front blade sight has broken & fallen off the barrel. Two local gunsmiths have said that because of the plating, nothing they could solder on would stick... for very long, anyway. It is a bit hard to shoot now and I have never seen a laser sight for this revolver... :groner:

One 'smith kept the gun for a month and showed me the ss replacement he made, but couldn't get it to stick... the other told me immediately that, "It's nickel... won't work". Of course, Colt "doesn't have parts for my D frame pistol". :killingpc

Does anyone have a (useful) solution for this predicament? :idea: Please?

Mk42gunner
10-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Numrich has a replacement barrel for only $189.90. OUCH. However, it is shrouded and I don't know if that would work for your gun.

Another idea is to have a dovetail filed into the barrel, then you could use about any sight that was tall enough. I do not know if the barrel is thick enough to allow this safely or not.

Build up a sight from JB weld?

I don't know if any of these ideas would work or not. A lot depends on the condition of your gun, I would not use a JB weld sight on a good gun, but for a beater it would be okay.

Robert

Mooseman
10-27-2012, 04:14 AM
You need to find a better gunsmith, but I would contact Colt and send it back to them for repair.
http://www.coltsmfg.com/

I'll Make Mine
10-27-2012, 06:08 PM
If Colt has already said they don't have parts, they aren't likely to be able to do more than a local gunsmith. Milling a dovetail would be preferable over filing; other options would be to drill and tap the barrel for a screw retained sight (possibly not a great idea for a short barrel revolver), or take off enough nickle to get a silver braze joint to hold (if done very carefully, so the sight overlaps a hair onto untouched plating, the fix will be invisible).

Mooseman
10-27-2012, 07:59 PM
This is what gunsmiths use for Nickel and stainless sight installing with the flux listed, it will stick tight.http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/solders-flux/silvaloy-355-silver-solder-prod584.aspx
You may want to contact Master Gunsmith SBowers on this forum who can fix it for you properly and has the right stuff to do the job. He can usually find the parts too.

bruce drake
10-28-2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=588400A&catid=14391

Colt Cobra Stainless 3" barrel if SBowers isn't available to fix your original 2" barrel.

John Taylor
10-28-2012, 10:37 AM
I usually use a woodruff key cutter and cut a groove in the top of the barrel then solder a new custom made sight in with brownells solder.

gester01
10-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all these suggestions. My Cobra is not shrouded and though it would be great if I could swap out the barrel, I'll have to see if that might work. I haven't heard back from a PM, but I have collected these and will check again locally.