PDA

View Full Version : Webley in .455

richhodg66
10-26-2012, 11:06 PM
I've always had a thing for top break revolvers for some reason and love big bore revolvers in general. Webleys have always seemed so cool to me.

One turned up in a shop I get to now and then. I have bought a few guns from them over the past few years, so they know me and are generally easy to get along with. They were asking $399 for a British military Webley in .455 tha they thought had been converted to shoot .45 ACP with moon clips. It's in good shape, only has a chip in one of the grips. I'm not expert, but it looks all original and not refinished.

He offered to let me take it home for $370 out the door. I'm real tempted, but have spent a lot on guns lately and honestly didn't know what the going rate is for one like that. I see .38 S&W ones commonly (I have dies and stuff for that too, would rather have a .45). Is this a good deal on this revolver?

3006guns
10-27-2012, 02:11 AM
This is only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth........

Webleys have been on the used market for many years and a lot were converted to .45 acp or .45 auto rim.

Point number one: The .45 auto/auto rim is too powerful in it standard loaded form.......pretty close to a proof round really, so plan to handload for the gun to preserve it.

Point number two: The prices for Webleys have skyrocketed in the last ten years or so, mostly because of new shooters and a limited supply of guns. They're a good gun but they're not super rare by any means.

Now, having said that....the price being asked is high in my opinion, for the following reason: The cylinder has been cut for .45 auto/auto rim. If it were uncut and still in .455 Webley then the price might be acceptable......but now you have to find ammo. I'd try to get the guy down to at LEAST $350 and I STILL think that's high......$275 would be more to my liking.

By the way...just to make you cringe a bit...the last MKVI I bought at a gun show fifteen years ago cost me $100.

HARRYMPOPE
10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
I paid a bit over $200 here in Wa State for my Web-6 this last year.its also converted but a very good shooter.Here they dont show up that often and $300-$350 isn't a bad price.The conversion makes it better IMHO as brass in almost free.I load 4g of Clays and the Webley MP .455 HB mold or the Lyman 45 Minie' ball mold in mine.

richhodg66
10-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I would load it light, but generally I do that with most of my revolvers. My SBH is the only one I load hot and that's because I want to hunt with it someday.

Because I'd have to drive back over there, a considerable distance, I think I'll wait on a better deal. They sure are neat guns, you hold one and think "if only it could talk". I guess I need to read up on Webleys before the next one shows itself.