PDA

View Full Version : My first cast

BBGun
10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Well I finally joined the casting society. If you can call what my results look like you might question that statement.

I finally russeled up the fortitude to "just go for it" as my friend told me.
This was almost as much fun as....well, maybe not.
I'll try to post a few pics. I made up about 25 or so. Not the best boolits you've ever seen, but I'm proud of about 5 of them. These are 230 gr. LRN. or at least they might be. I'll know for sure when I micro and weigh them.
Can someone tell me if I need to slug the barrel to assure the boolit is the correct size?

One thing I learned. I have to pour the lead in one pour or I get a "lapping" effect. I think I should have gotten a little larger ladle. Also my 4# pot needs to be almost full to get a full ladle. But anyway, I'm learning. Any advice would be appreciated. Remember for any comments, we all have to start somewhere.

My picks didn't come through. I'll try for them later.

MtGun44
10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome. "Just do it!" is a good way to start.

Ladle pouring can be challenging if the ladle is too small. I prefer a bottom pour
pot, but I ladle cast with a tiny Lee ladle when I am at my cabin in Colorado. Works OK,
just slow.

The most common problems are mold dirty and mold cold. Cast as fast as you can possibly
do it for at least 20 fills, possibly 30 to get the mold up to temp. Do not inspect or
fiddle during this time, fill, cut, dump, fill, cut, dump, fast, fast, fast. Once the mold is
up to temp, then you can slow down an pay more attention - although by then almost
all will be good. If the mold isn't filling out well even when up to temp, you may need a
touch of tin (tin based solder is great) or you may need to scrub the mold with Comet
and a toothbrush. This will not hurt it. Blow dry with a hair drier if it is an iron mold.
Do not oil. Lube the bottom of the sprue plate, top of mold and alignment features with
a TRACE of BullPlate Lube. Check with Bull Shop and see if he is selling it again.

Spend time reading the stickies.

Bill

runfiverun
10-26-2012, 07:36 PM
im gonna recommend a bigger pot right off the bat.
you only get about 35 boolits your size from a lb of alloy you can't even get any lead out of the pot by the time you are getting started.
heat the corner of the mold up in your pot to get it warmed up and ready to cast with, when the lead quits sticking to it it's pretty close to being ready.

Shiloh
10-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Gonna be tough getting the mold up temp and holding it with a small pot.
You will be filling the pot often and that affects temps and casting rhythm.

SHiloh

barrybrice
10-27-2012, 10:06 AM
I use a small torch to get my mold up to temp and leave it sitting across the pot while it is heating up for 30 minutes. I do not even look at the first 20 cast, they go back in the pot. Invest in a bottom pour pot or a larger pot. I cast 9mm with a ladle and a four cavity mold. In two hours last week I cast about 700 of them. Make sure your lead is at least 700 deg. That helps me keep the wrinkles out.

BBGun
10-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. I need all the help I can get.

PS Paul
10-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks guys. I need all the help I can get.

Look, you took the first step "of the 1,000 mile journey"! The info you'll find on this forum is spectacular and I learn more and more daily!

Welcome to the board, man!
Paul

Wolfer
10-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Once you get the wrinkles ironed out ( pun intended ) its not near as difficult as you might think.
For years and sometimes now I used a quart sauce pan and a lee ladle on a Coleman stove