PDA

View Full Version : Black powder in BN cases?

Buckshot
06-07-2007, 02:26 AM
..............Maybe this year, possibly next :-) I may get out from under stuff enough to fool around with some BP loading in a 1879 Argentine contract Rem RB. I recall reading someplace that in BN cases you only want to settle the powder in the case and not really compress it?

Am dat right er not?

.................Buckshot

Boz330
06-07-2007, 09:26 AM
That is the conventional wisdom. It would be difficult to get any sort of uniform compression on the powder. I would think that a drop tube or vibration would work the best. The only BN cases that I have loaded are the 577-450 and getting extra powder in those isn't a problem. I have a Swede 8MM roller that I would like to try but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bob

Baron von Trollwhack
06-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I have good results with that in the .43 Mauser. BvT

montana_charlie
06-07-2007, 10:37 AM
I do a lot of reading on the BPCR forums, but rarely pay any attention to threads about BN cases...'cuz I don't shoot 'em.
Therefore, I don't have any idea of what the conventional wisdom might be regarding how tightly filled the case should be.

It seems that if the case was filled to the mouth, and you compressed the powder sufficiently to seat the bullet, that might be enough compression to make Goex powder happy.

Or...a case filled to the point where the bullet seats without compressing might be the favorite environment for Swiss powder.

What I have read is that the base of the bullet should not extend below the neck/shoulder junction.

I would be happy to discuss this further, but everything I know (and think) about the subject is in this post...
CM

Buckshot
06-08-2007, 03:51 AM
..............Well that's prolly what I'll do unless someone who has actually campaigned the 43 Spanish (44-77 Rem) pipes up with different ideas. I really need something else to spend time on I don't have, like a hole in the head.

Re: the 577-450. I loaded 20 rounds of that with BP once. I used the Lee 457-450 patched up to .472" as that was the closest I had to HM Gov't 480gr slug. I forget now how much powder I put in it. I'm thinking 120/130 grs of Goex 2Fg. Whatever, it was a bunch, and a MkIV Martini isn't a 12 lb Rolling Block or Sharps. It wasn't a real lot of fun.

...............Buckshot

shooter575
06-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Hey Buckshot,I got one of them .43 RB in the closet that I aint never fired.So I will be watching ya! What you using for brass?
Over on the N-SSA forum they got a side group starting a RB postal shoot. Just starting,got 4 months to getRdone.The fella running that is Tim Lyne. His e-mail is posted there.Maybe he has some info you could use.

Four Fingers of Death
06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr, BN=Bright nickle?

JeffinNZ
06-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr, BN=Bright nickle?

Mick - bottle neck........or maybe brown noser........:twisted:

kodiak1
06-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Buckshot I shot a 40-90 SBN and I drop tube it and then a light compress to get the bullet where I want it. It seems to shoot decent for me, but I haven't tried to shoot the Quigley that they talk about either.
I know I could kill a coyote with the load so it can't all be that bad .

On the other hand I do much the same with my 45-70 and my 45-100.
Thanks Ken.

martinibelgian
06-09-2007, 03:05 AM
BN's will shoot - I recently had a match rifle made in #2 Musket, and used it to win the Belgian open midrange match. I just poured in powder so that putting in the compression die just barely colpacted the powder and wad, then seated the bullet on top. Mind you, these .43 spanish RB's do have a rep of having some weird barrels, so a chamber cast and a bore slugging would certainly be in order. I ' ve even heard of some having bores in the .450's...