PDA

View Full Version : Phhhhtt! Range day vent....

wallenba
10-26-2012, 12:21 PM
It was a warm but windy day here yesterday. I felt it might be the last day to shoot without a coat on. I grabbed the M95 and a 91/30 I had yet to shoot since I got it. I knew the Mosin slugged .312, so I grabbed a box of 7.62x54's sized .313, and some Hungarian that I loaded as dropped at .331.
Hunting season, and I had to wait for a right hand fifty to open up. After sitting about 45 minutes I notice that a right hand bench was not being used but had gear on it. I finally went over to the young fella shooting next to it and asked where the other guy was. He said nobody was shooting there, that was his gear. DUH!
Then I had to wait another half hour for the next target hang. Hung my target, came back and waited for the 'resume fire' call. As soon as the shooting started the wind ripped my target off the board! We use tooth picks to pin them on a foam backer there. Waited another cycle, hung another.
I opened the box of Russian up, and glanced over the reloading notes. They were neck sized for a different Mosin! Decided to try them anyway. First round chambered (reluctantly) and fired. Bolt would not open, took a rubber mallet to get it open. I cased it up and got the Steyr out. The wind was at my back so I figured they might hit a bit high. These were all over the map, not just from the wind either. These were groove diameter, but shot worse than the .329's I first shot out of this rifle.
All I did yesterday was make noise. But it was a nice day to get out, and my friend Peter Ulan also showed up, and helped me make light of the situation.

Remarking all my loaded ammo.[smilie=b:

leadman
10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Part of your day were the same as mine. The wind really whipped at the range and I lost the targets once.
I too had a MN out that I had not fired yet. Mine worked out better than yours though. fired some S&B jacketed factory loads to check function, then some of my loads in new brass with 314299 sized .314". The throat measures .314". Got a couple decent groups so the rifle shows potential.
Also had a new Encore barrel in 243 Win that did very good.

Did not have to wait for a bench and was given 2 boxes of 30-06 Win. once fired brass from the guy next to me that I helped out.

Glad you are able to see the good in your day.

3006guns
10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Hey, be grateful that you got to shoot! I grabbed my Springfield, glasses, extra gear and headed for the range. Set up my target, spotting scope and uncased the rifle then looked for my ammo...........which was still sitting on the bench at home.

1Shirt
10-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Like the lettering on the expectant ladies sweat shirt said "POO POO OCCURS!"
1Shirt!

dragon813gt
10-26-2012, 08:13 PM
My shooting never even started. Was supposed to pick up a friend and meet another out there. As soon as the other friend said he would meet us at the house of the friend I was supposed to pick up. I knew we weren't going out. As soon as they grabbed beer it was confirmed. I had my dog with me so I couldn't go alone. He's perfectly fine at the range. But I'm considerate of others and only take him out when I go with someone. One shoots while the other keeps an eye on him.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.