PDA

View Full Version : Figs

Bodydoc447
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
I have a bumper crop of green figs. It is going to freeze this weekend. If I were to pick them green would they ripen like a bannana? I have had only a very few ripen on the tree (at least before the birds got them). I'd like to have enough to make some preseves but the green ones are all I have.

Doc

gwpercle
11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Doc ,

I am fairly certain green figs will not ripen after picking. They might if real close to being ripe . Tomatoes will ripen if they have a blush of red but if truely green they stay green and you do fried green tomatoes. I think green figs will stay green but you could try it , they may ripen

I looked thru all the cookbooks and canning / preserving guides I have and found nothing on green figs.

I also have a tree that has a crop of green figs . It bears a crop early in the summer and then another in the fall. The fall figs are not as large and tasty as the summer so I just let the wildlife eat them.

gary

RobS
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
The wife said no a fig will not.............she's picked them from a young age back in her home country.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
You could try putting a sheet over it night with a lamp under it if the are real close to being ripe. If they still need a few weeks, it is probably not worth the effort.

Bodydoc447
11-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks to all. The figs are not even close to ripe. Hard as a plank. I think I'll just pick them and take them down to the deer lease and let the deer and hogs enjoy them green. Too bad. I was really looking forward to some homemade fig preserves. Darned tree does this about every year. A handfull of really delicious (if I can beat the birds to them) figs, 2 or 3 ripe at a time and the rest never ripen.

Your responses are appreciated.

Doc

gwpercle
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Doc ,

How old is your tree . I planted one and had the same problems as you untill last year and this year when it started bearing heavily and the taste of the figs got wonderful. The reason I found out is it takes fig trees a good 5 years to put down a good root system to support a heavy crop. And the best tasting fruit doesn't happen untill the tree hits it maturity like 7 or 8 years. Most people give up on them and replace them with something else . My tree was 7 years old and made a heavy excellent tasting crop.

Another reason is if the tree is really old. Figs only bear on second year growth, old trees need a good cut back so they will sprout new groth . the second year will have a good crop. Aftr that selectively prune it to keep new limbs growing.

gary

Bodydoc447
11-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Gary,

I think you just nailed it! My tree is only about 5 years old. Most of the fruit is still green and hard as mentioned above but just as I was about to give up and pick them all for the deer I found a few finally turning ripe. My wife was finally able to get some ripe ones away from the birds to make 4 half pints of the best fig jam I can remember. Now I won't give up on my tree. I really appreciate your help!

Doc

gwpercle
11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Glad to help. I had never heard of the taste of figs becoming better as the tree got older untill just recently. Mine is now 7 years old and all this time I couldn't figure out why they didn't taste as good as figs from my childhood. Then this year I put up 75 jars of fig preserves and jam and they taste absolutely wonderful. So just wait , in another year or two you should be getting all the figs you can handle .

gary

Bodydoc447
11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
If they are going to get better, I really have something to look forward to! I just had jam and bread last night for dinner. Guess I better buy a bigger belt for next year. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Doc