PDA

View Full Version : 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen AI Chamber Help?

JesterGrin_1
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM
I could sure use a bit of help before this is done.

I have decided to have my rifle chamber modified from 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen AI and thus since a thread or so will have to be removed for the re chamber job now would be the time to make sure the lead and throat are correct for cast Boolit shooting.

I plan to use the 358009 in this rifle. So what exactly do I do? Send a few 358009's to the person that is going to do the work and ask them to set it so I can use the Factory Crimp Groove and the 358009 Boolit to just touch the lands?

Some Help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. :)

waksupi
10-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I would think hard about the whole concept. The case is already overbore for a .35 Whelen with cast boolits. Going AI is only going to enlarge the overbore capacity.

leftiye
10-27-2012, 06:57 AM
But, but, my .375 H&H just loves cast boolits. I don't understand calling a .35-06 overbore. It can be overbore for one's shoulder, but full house loads with cast boolits are possible, and with full length condoms it definitely isn't overbore. Optimizing throat layout, and getting a nice shoulder to headspace on could be nice and of value.

The 358009 is a bore rider ,err,,, isn't it? Shouldn't need much freebore there.

Nobade
10-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Unless you order a reamer to your own spec, the reamer your gunsmith owns will most likely already have a throat on it. So you will get what he gives you. The only way to get EXACTLY what you want it have your own reamer made, and send that to your 'smith.

If he has a throatless reamer he can go back with a throater and make what you want, but throaters have a nasty tendency to chatter and give disappointing results, especially in larger calibers.

If I were you, I would ask the 'smith what he has and see if it will work for what you want before proceeding.

And as Waksupi says, also question why you are doing this. Regular 35 Whelen is plenty powerful and with full pressure loads will exceed what a normal cast boolit (not talking paper patched) can stand. Adding a tiny bit more powder capacity will not likely gain you anything and it comes with its own problems as well. (feeding, need to fireform cases, more expensive dies, not working with fillers, etc.)

waksupi
10-27-2012, 11:18 AM
But, but, my .375 H&H just loves cast boolits. I don't understand calling a .35-06 overbore. It can be overbore for one's shoulder, but full house loads with cast boolits are possible, and with full length condoms it definitely isn't overbore. Optimizing throat layout, and getting a nice shoulder to headspace on could be nice and of value.

The 358009 is a bore rider ,err,,, isn't it? Shouldn't need much freebore there.

Being over bore refers to a cartridge that has more powder space, than is usable. When you already have empty space, why enlarge the problem?

JesterGrin_1
10-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Being over bore refers to a cartridge that has more powder space, than is usable. When you already have empty space, why enlarge the problem?

I think you are right. So I think what I am going to do is regulate the 35 Whelen to jacketed loads. Thus this thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1895743#post1895743

I plan to change it from 35 Whelen to 35 Whelen AI and add a SHREWD Muzzle Brake. As due to the Powder Capacity of the 35 Whelen AI I feel I am holding the cartridge back too much with cast.

And use my 358 Winchester for mostly Cast BOOLITS. :)

B R Shooter
10-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm going to make a statement about AI chamberings. It is accepted practice to set a barrel back a thread and then chamber, to get the .004" crush fit. There is no magical reason for the .004" other than that is common for brass cases. Some cases/brands may be thinner or thicker. The later will make closing the bolt harder.

All of this is the "hold" the brass while it is fireformed. Well, wildcaters have been fireforming cases for ever, without this holding thing going on.

Take the very popular 6 Dasher or 6 BRX. These have to have the shoulder blown forward .100". The Dasher goes to an AI style, the BRX stays with the parent shoulder angle and body taper. Either case requires a lot more attention than the magical .004" crush to fireform.

My point in all this is to say, don't just automatically plug into this setback. Two very easy and effective ways to deal with the fireform is 1) seat a bullet long with lots of neck tension to hold it against the boltface. 2) neck up the brass to a bigger caliber, then sizing it down only enough to create a false shoulder that will wedge itself in the new chamber.

Many ways to skin the cat.

leftiye
10-31-2012, 07:00 AM
.257 Weatherbys are overbore, 7mm mags might be overbore. 30-06es, no way. .35-06es not even maybe. All of the room in an .35 Whelen can be used with cast boolits (easily), but it will pay you back.