PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Bullet Dies - basic question.

meshugunner
10-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I know this is a bone head question but I've only been reloading a few months and I still find the various options for equipment bewildering.

I have a Dillon 550 on which I reload 9mm, .38Sp & .357 mag. I cast my own bullets for the .357 mostly WC & SWC in various weights. I will cast 9mm but recently bought several thousand for a good price. Mostly I am loading for short range tactical shooting.

Switching from one bullet type to another in the same caliber means I have to adjust my seating die and my crimp die as well as the powder measure. I would like to have a seating die and a crimp die set up with lock rings for each of my common loads so that I dont have to do much setup.

It seems that there are dies that both seat and crimp as well as die pairs that seat and crimp seperately, like the Dillon sets I have. Then there is the issue of taper vs roll crimp. I have read, taper for semi auto, crimp for revolver. But this is always followed by a heated discussion.

It sure would be cheaper and convenient to buy a single seat & crimp die. I could get a separate die for each of my molds. But mostly I want simple. I still struggle some to keep all the ducks in a row while reloading with this press.

I'd sure appreciate some basic guidance in this matter.

Thanks

r1kk1
10-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I admire you you want but it's ez to set up each dummy cartridge and set you dies. I'm not a fan of seat/crimp in one pass. I thought about separate set of 38 spl dies and 357 but they are easy enough to adjust.

I do like your idea just not cost effective. Maybe someone can show a cheaper solution.

Take care

r1kk1

LUBEDUDE
10-25-2012, 04:34 PM
I agree with R1kk1 about seating in a separate operation.

Redding makes a seating die called the Competition seating die. It has micrometer adjustments. You can record your reading for each particular bullet. And after switch bullets, just go back to a previous bullet and recording and you are set. Simple as pie. It's not cheap but it sure is handy! I believe I paid about $85 for this one about 8 yrs ago.

Now Herter's made one similar as well back in the 60's - 70's.

Throckmorton
10-25-2012, 04:37 PM
I shoot all cast boolits,and having 2 dies..seat and crimp...is THE way to go.thing of this,while crimping,the ram is moving up,meaning the die really never stops seating the bullet.what happens is lube and lead get shaved into the die.
2 dies are way easier to re-set than a 1pc die,u don't always want to change the crimp just because u changed bullet weights.And for seating adjustements,u don't touch the lock ring,just the seater stem.

2 dies is how i've rolled for years.

meshugunner
10-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I admire you you want but it's ez to set up each dummy cartridge and set you dies....
r1kk1

Well slap my face and call me stupid! Why didn't I think of that? Just keep a dummy round as a template. Then I can set the dies just by bringing them into contact with the template round. I can save as many settings as I like this way for free.

Ok, so separate seating and crimping dies. Easier to setup.

Thanks guys