PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes the oldies need a little love, too..

captaint
10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Some time back, I bought, used a lightly rusted Lyman 4 cav 35891 wadcutter mold on Fleabay. Got it cheap due to the rust. It cleaned up really well and I cast with it once, like 6 months ago. Took it out on Tuesday to pour up some more and one cavity was really sticking bad. I mean I had to give it 15 taps to shake the boolit loose. Really annoying and slowed me down, a lot.
So, Wed nite I took it apart, took some boolits and lightly polished the cavities and tuned up the sprue plate a little. Used it again last nite - what a difference !!
Now, it's enjoyable and relaxing to use that mold again, and production is way up. Just goes to show - even the old ones need some help too.. enjoy Mike

Ben
10-25-2012, 11:54 AM
captaint

As you can see in the link below, I've also run into that same exact problem :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47669

Shiloh
10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Bought the 2 cav version of that same mold. Slight rust. My abrasive was Comet. Same results.
A good rhythm fills the water bucket up in short order with perfect boolits.

Think I paid $25 with handles.

Shiloh

runfiverun
10-25-2012, 09:24 PM
a lot of the old ones with square lube grooves really benefit from a bit of polish.
i polished up my "vintage" 429421,and 454424's among others.
they went from whack,whack,whack, to open, flip, tap.
i have a couple of walt's nei molds that i just open and maybe shake a little, best mods i ever got in that regard.

captaint
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Casting is so enjoyable when we have a mold that cooperates. The fun factor goes way up and we really can make a bunch of boolits in a hurry - 2 cav or 4... enj;oy Mike