PDA

View Full Version : Widen the nose on aluminum mold?

FergusonTO35
10-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I've been shooting the Lee C309-150 for while now with good success in .30 WCF. The only thing I would change about this boolit is give the end of the ogive where it curves down to a flat point less of a radius, creating a larger flat point. I wonder if there is an easy way to accomplish this? I could just order a mold from Accurate, but I already have this mold which I am quite satisfied with and can replace it for $20.00 if need be. I wonder if Leementing just the affected portion could do it?

I'll Make Mine
10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, in theory, Leementing could be used to change the profile, though you might need to go through multiple cycles of casting and lapping to affect enough of a change (and a little grit in the wrong place could result in altering areas you want left alone).

You could also make a D bit that matches the original bullet profile except for the wider meplat, if you have a lathe and the necessary skill; with care (including rounding over the edge where the mold isn't to be altered), this could do the job in one pass and has better odds of making both cavities the same.

KCSO
10-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Yep... One time I posted pictures of my custom 190 grain 303 mould that was converted to a real round nose bullet with a simple cherry. You turn a cherry just the nose diameter and shap you want and then clamp the mould in the mill and center the cavity. Then you just cut down till you get the nose shape and bullet weight you want. I ran a undersize nose Lee Mouldthat cast a 180 grain bullet into a round nose 195 grain bullet that I use for hunting in the Krag and Lee Enfield rifles with proper sizing.

runfiverun
10-25-2012, 09:08 PM
it'd be cheaper to just buy the new mold.
unless you have the stuff at home to make the d-bit.
you could shape shift the nose but i'd bet a point form die would cost 175.00 that is the hardest swage ie to make.

FergusonTO35
10-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks. I have another mold that needs Leementing so I may do this one while I'm at it.