PDA

View Full Version : Books on casting?

armoredman
06-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Another member got a little irritated, said I should buy a book, so, OK, which book will show me, the newbie, what to do, so I don't bother him again?

45nut
06-06-2007, 12:12 PM
the Lyman CB book is loaded with good info, the RCBS book now out of print I think is a good book.
Don't get too worried about being a newbie,,,everyone was once. You will be in the game soon.

R.M.
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
For starters, let me apologize for this members apparent grumpyness. There could have been just a miscommunication there too. It happens a lot on these forums.
There are many good reference books, and even a DVD available. They call it a DVD, but it's just a few books done up in PDF files I believe. It's called "The Art of Bullet Casting Collection. Lyman, RCBS, and the NRA has had some good books out there. There is also, if you do some searching on this site, a ton of information.

Good luck, and don't be put off. Most of us are more than willing to share our collective knowledge.
R.M.

monadnock#5
06-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Here's a link to get you started today:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm#top

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is current, and available mail order from Midway, or perhaps on a well stocked dealer's shelf. The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual is also very good, but may be out of print. Try Ebay. These will get you off to a great start.

And don't get to feeling like your stepping on egg shells around here. Ask your questions. You will get answers. Then it's up to you to separate the pure from the dross.

Ken

TAWILDCATT
06-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I just started a thread on this subject.may be we could add to it and get a sticky
its at [cast bullets]

armoredman
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Thank you very much.

jawjaboy
06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Link to Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=796528

And more:

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=11&Categoryid=17765&categorystring=10614***15810***

scrapcan
06-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Tommag offered a lyman cast bullet manual and a dipper. You should think about taking up some of the fine folks on their offers, it is hard to find a better bunch of forum members than those here.

Sundogg1911
06-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Armored Man,
First of all...Welcome to the world of boolit casting!
I agree that the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook is a great place to start, but this forum is the best place after that. I've tried asking a question to a book once or twice and never got an answer. I've never asked a question here and received less than 3 answers. (and if you look at all of my posts.....I ask a lot of questions) [smilie=1:
Don't get discourged from one member getting a little irritated, It happins to us all at one time or another and that doesn't happin here often. For the most part this place has a great cast of charactors and you will get some great advise. I've seen some discussions turn into heated debates, but with people that have a passion for what they do you will have that.
I'm no rookie to Bullet casting, but I can't tell you the amount of information that i've picked up here on Cast Boolits. Books are a great place to start, but asking the people that have been in the trenches and had the same issues and problems that can answer specific questions is priceless. (I hope I don't sound like a Mastercard commercial!) :mrgreen: Good luck with your new sickness....er....I mean Hobbie! :drinks:

tommag
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Tommag offered a lyman cast bullet manual and a dipper. You should think about taking up some of the fine folks on their offers, it is hard to find a better bunch of forum members than those here.

Manleyjt. he already pm'd me thanking me and providing his address. It was sent off yesterday,

armoredman
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
In that case, let me publicly say thank you, sir!8-) :grin:

scrapcan
06-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Tommag and armoredman glad to see both of you saw each others posts. I am not always sure I look at all the threads I need to. And in light of your dealings with each other I will reiterate that it is hard to find a better group of people than what is found right here.

montana_charlie
06-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Here's a 'book' you don't need to go out and buy...
http://www.austinrifleclub.org/Documents/Articles/Bullet_Casting_Primer.htm
CM

armoredman
06-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks!

montana_charlie
06-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Here's another pair...
http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm
and
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_4_49/ai_98124194
CM

jdhenry
06-09-2007, 03:45 AM
Here is another plug for "The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook" lots of great info... Don't worry about the grumpy person, there are a lot of others on here that are more than happy to help. I learned (and am still learning) a lot of stuff on here. All the ........ Well most of the people on here are willing to answer even the most feeble Questions!!! And while I'm at it Thanks again to all of you that have helped me:)

armoredman
06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Got to page 42 - love the historical stuff! Great book! As I save for the lead/pot/tin/flux/etc, I will be reading this thing cover to cover!

scrapcan
06-09-2007, 11:38 PM
If you are looking for things you can try here first, you might never know what will come your way. Am I correctly thinking that you have a mould for the 38spl and no way to melt lead or to lube? I bet someone here has a lee push thru and some lube that you can use to pan lube then push thru size. (i could probably pass you a few sticks of lube that could be used for pan lubing, and might have a few pounds of range scrap in ingots that could be passed along also)

Bob B
06-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Any one just starting in bullet casting should join the Cast Bullet Assoc.their newsletter the fouling shot contains a wealth ofinformation plus being being enjoyable reading.Bob B

armoredman
06-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Looked at thier website - good stuff! Gotta squeeze the fee!
A coworker loaned me an interesting book last night - "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" by Veral Smith.

1hole
06-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Lyman "wrote the book" on cast so that's the place to start for basic to mid-level casters. Lyman also has a good cast bullet loading manual, "Cast Bullets in Pistols and Revolvers". Any Lyman loading manual includes a listing of cast loads for both rifle and pistol, their old #45 manual has a good bit of data but so does others.

The NRA once published a great advanced-knowledge book on cast bullets, C.E. Harris, and it shows up on Ebay from time to time. It as a LOT of data but not much reloading info, per se. Mostly the data is in short clips and articles taken from the Rifleman, including a lot of really in-depth stuff. I highly recommend this one to anyone who is seriously interested in learning more about bullet casting.

RCBS once had a Cast Bullet Manual but the info was pretty basic so the book seems to have failed in the market. Don't bother with that one unless you find it for $5-8.

TAWILDCATT
06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
handloaders bullet making by handloader magazine=dvd of 3 books $20
the dvd=wolf publishing.1-800-899-7810
cast bullets by lyman====$13.06
48th edition Lyman=====$17.17
cast bullet ass======$17.00member/6 issues+handbook/[on line]

:coffee: :coffee: :Fire:

Midsouthshooters.com

jrgift
06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Armoredman,I have books thatI would sell ,Handloader book of Bullet Casting.NRA book of casting RCBS Cast Book,here may be others I would have to check what I have to sell and what to keep..

Dead Calm
06-18-2007, 09:41 PM
I think this is the best you can buy. It has tons of information, and pictures too!!

jrgift
06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
armored man,send me a PM I may have some books to sell such as the NRA,Handloader, And RCBS manuals.

wills
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Another member got a little irritated, said I should buy a book, so, OK, which book will show me, the newbie, what to do, so I don't bother him again?

Has anyone pointed out The Book is here:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/?yguid=133709505

You have to Join The Group, but then You can see The Book.

armoredman
06-23-2007, 09:58 PM
A member here gave me a copy of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. That's some good info! A co-worjer loaned me a copy of Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets, another good read.
Thanks to all for the offer, I am going to see what I can do with these two books. I am anxiously awaiting my first cast!:-D

truckjohn
06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
While the Lyman book is a good read, it hasn't really gotten a good revision or much new info in about the last 20 years or so. It is also mostly a reloading manual with a couple chapters about casting.

Veral Smith's Cast Bullet book is mostly about choosing the right cast boolit design and alloy combination for your gun -- very little about the actual process of casting

Magma Engineering's book is mostly about alloy selection and production molding. Nothing about proper bullet fit and such.

Paul Matthews "Cast Bullet" book is exactly what it says -- it is about using a bunch of different cast bullets for competition. Can't say anything about his other books, I don't have them.

Beartooth bullets book is alot like Veral's book. It does contain a chapter on Firelapping gun barrels, though.

The Wolf Cast Bullets collection contains lots of material -- all in the form of articles in their magazines. Advantage -- Brief articles, vast subject matter. Disadvantage -- very brief articles, not a work that flows in chapters, many different viewpoints on the same subject.

Hope this helps some.

John

Lloyd Smale
06-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Like bob said its a good deal and you get one of the most comprehensive (Spelling) casting books made just for joining. Its well worth the price of admission by itself. Other then that i have to go with verals. Its a little outdated but not nearly as outdated as the lyman manual. Lots of those old theroys on casting have been proven wrong. If you dont beleive it just hang around hear and absorb some of the knowlege from the people that really know bullet casting.
Any one just starting in bullet casting should join the Cast Bullet Assoc.their newsletter the fouling shot contains a wealth ofinformation plus being being enjoyable reading.Bob B

TAWILDCATT
07-07-2007, 09:12 PM
wolff publishing handloader mag has dvd on cast bullets its three books in one I have the books which are out of print.
:coffee: :Fire: :coffee:

armoredman
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
As soon as I get done with my move at the end of this month, I will join CBA, and get started in earnest.

HollandNut
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Tho' it's probably kind of dated by now , and long out of print , when I first started casting in the mid 70's , NRA pubs had a two book series by Colonel E.H.Harrison , on cast boolits . He spent a lifetime experimenting with , I believe 308 and 30-06 cast bullets , if you could think of it , he probably tried it and put it in print .. Mine have long disappeared and have yet to see another set ..